AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 149 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

For the record, aside from one statement from one official, there has been ZERO talk of the ARM chip. I'm 99% sure it doesn't exist at this point. Nevermind you would have to have an OS that could support two totally different instruction sets (CISC versus RISC) on the fly, which no one has come close to doing. Nevermind the Kernel for such an OS would be HUGE. So...no.

Little details are known for the CPU on the Xbox, but I think that it is safe to wait about the same performance that the PS4. The PS4 has a CPU that gives 102.4 GFLOPs. For the sake of comparison the i7-3770k gives 112 GFLOPs. Moreover the PS4 has a HSA design, which means that the GPU can help to the CPU under heavy loads, unlike what happens to a tradittional CPU made by Intel, which botteleneck under heavy loads.

The issue with offloading the OS itself is one of latency: nothing kills the user experience then an OS that takes half a second to respond to the user. So I doubt the core OS could be offloaded; more likely the individual tasks get offloaded. And in the case of games, the GPU portion is already going to be overworked.

If we COULD run an OS on a GPU with acceptable performance, CPU's would be dead by now, given how GPU's are orders of magnitude more powerful then CPUs already.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

There's nothing retarded. Techpowerup review is Gigabyte 780 with ~100MHz faster core than reference 780 in Tom's review. See this?:

perf_oc.gif

Stock 780 is ~10% slower than Titan, similar to Tom's 10%.

You can't make parallel serial tasks. Even breaking up tasks that can be run in parallel doesn't always yield performance increases. What you are going to see is stuff that CAN be made easily parallel (large datasets, physics, graphics) will be offloaded to some sort of GPU-like architecture, leaving just a few serial tasks running on the CPU. Thats where we are currently headed. You will see CPU usage go up in the short term due to new things being done on the CPU that weren't done before (more physics, for instance), but not due to any real change in how threading is handled. But long term, I expect most of those tasks to get offloaded from the CPU.

If we want "optimized" threading on a per application basis, the best place to do it is during compilation, by the compiler. Problem is, you need a VERY tightly coupled compiler with the OS to do this [and it becomes impossible if different schedulers can be used, such as exists under Linux/Unix based OS's], and every attempt to do this so far has ended in failure. Will happen eventually though, just like it did for register assignments and the like. OpenMP is already doing this for basic things such as FOR/WHILE loops, when the compiler threads based on whether or not it will yield a performance benefit.

8350rocks

Distinguished

*Worked for the NSA for 3 years as a Computer Engineer*

I stand by what I said...I was at Ft. Meade, MD for a long time, and not on contract, I was a US DoD employee. I think I know what they were doing...my sub unit was one of the first to go to RH desktop back in 2000. Nearly all of Ft. Meade was scheduled to be converted by the time I left in 2001.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You consistently dismiss the ARM chip designed to run the OS...why?

@gamerk316
For the record, aside from one statement from one official, there has been ZERO talk of the ARM chip. I'm 99% sure it doesn't exist at this point. Nevermind you would have to have an OS that could support two totally different instruction sets (CISC versus RISC) on the fly, which no one has come close to doing. Nevermind the Kernel for such an OS would be HUGE. So...no.

That official just happened to be the project lead, and the head of PS4 development himself...what further proof did you want? Google Mark Cerny's name...he is THE man to talk to about PS4...he was behind designing it. Who better than him would know what's in it??

EDIT: Where are you coming up with 2 different instruction sets can't interact together? x86 and RISC interact daily through mobile devices all over that interact with x86 devices...how do you find this so difficult?

Additionally...who says the OS is going to be doing any scheduling or interfering with the CISC architecture anyway? This isn't a PC...though it's very similar, and versions of the Linux kernel can run perfectly fine on different architectures.

http://research.cs.wisc.edu/vertical/papers/2013/hpca13-isa-power-struggles.pdf

That shows that they run Linux kernel version 2.6 LTS on RISC and CISC...

8350rocks

Distinguished

ARM v8 is 64 bit and the AMD ARM based designs are all 64 bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture

ARMv8 and 64-bit

Released in late 2011, ARMv8 represents a fundamental change to the ARM architecture. It adds a 64-bit architecture, dubbed 'AArch64', and a new 'A64' instruction set. Within the context of ARMv8, the 32-bit architecture and instruction set are referred to as 'AArch32' and 'A32', respectively. The Thumb instruction sets are referred to as 'T32' and have no 64-bit counterpart. ARMv8 allows 32-bit applications to be executed in a 64-bit OS, and for a 32-bit OS to be under the control of a 64-bit hypervisor.[1] Applied Micro, AMD, Broadcom, Calxeda, HiSilicon, Samsung, ST Microelectronics and other companies have announced implementation plans.[49][50][51][52] ARM announced their Cortex-A53 and Cortex-A57 cores on 30 October 2012.[23]

jdwii

Splendid

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_780/26.html

Well i like techpowerup because they test it with a LOT of games. And it is behind the Titan and only 16% faster then the 680 Move along nothing to see here, Now i want to see my potential future card the 9970.

jdwii

Splendid
Although the Xbox 1 is using a more efficient GPU then the PS4 the PS4 is going to have a stronger GPU probably by around 10-15%. Not only that but the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory vs the Xbox 1 DDR3 so that would cripple its memory bandwidth by half. Besides useless ports the PS4 is going to be clearly more powerful.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I thought we were talking about the low power chip on the PS4 that is ARM based.
AMD doesn't have an ARMv8 design even close to being ready.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

More like 50%. 12 CU (Xbox) vs 18 CU (PS4)

As reference the HD 7850 has 16 CU, and 7870 has 20 CU.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
How many GFLOPs for Steamroller?

FX-8350: 8 FLOPs/clock-module x 4 GHz x 4 modules = 128 GFLOPs

Steamroller: _____

Yes, I know that GFLOPs are not a good measure of real performance. I was being just curious.

8350rocks

Distinguished

http://www.conres.com/amd-opteron-processors-64-bit-arm-blog

They're claiming delivering ARM Opterons in Q1 2014 to commercial customers...why wouldn't they be able to do it in a console in a slightly truncated timeframe? (Q4 2013)

The Intelligence community is wed to Sybase & Solaris 10 & OWLS. I know this not from some far gone age but from what I do on a day to day basis, their my primary customer. The Ops community is wed to Oracle & Solaris 10 & OWLS, both groups use SPARC hardware but due to costing are now exploring x86 alternatives, lots of recoding of their core apps needs to be done before that's possible. Even the logistics community prefers to use Solaris for their backend servers with a NT client.

The DoD is most definitely not using linux for desktop use (and won't anytime soon). It's MS for core services + MS Clients with everything else being a PM controlled product. I know for a fact that the Intel and Ops community is using XP SP3 as their current baseline client OS due to software compatibility with GCCS & JOPES. The service branch's themselves have mostly moved onto Vista and are now transitioning to Windows 7. If you had a CAC and actually worked in that environment you would be able to go download the AGM and pre-STIGed images. The security accreditation and requirements pretty much rule Linux out as a desktop product. Code openess has never been an issue for the DoD as they can get access to any manufacturers code (yes even MS's) to determine FIPS 140 compliance amongst others (technically NSA does this not the DoD).

Anyhow that's a discussion WAY outside this thread. Just know that you've done the equivalent of walking into MS HQ and proceeded to tell their developers how their code works.

The way sony put it, the GPU in the ps4 is divided into 2 parts, one part for graphics workloads at 14CUs and 4 CUs for general processing. Likely the ps4 will be much more powerful in general processing for games but not much faster in terms of pure graphics. The ESRAM does give xbox slightly better efficiency when dealing with compute but its unlikely to offset 4 GCN CUs dedicated completely to compute.

The memory bandwidth is the least of the xbox's problems. It has real time texture compression and decompression and data engines to manage data in main memory and ESRAM at the same time so the bandwidth will be completely sufficient. It might even be more than the PS4 in some situations. The framebuffer and the dependency data can be in the ESRAM while compressed textures can be streamed from main memory. The combine bandwidth of the ESRAM and DDR3 is probably not far from operation bandwidth for something like this.

The xbox one just lacks the extra GCN cores that are in the ps4 and this will probably prove to be what drive the ps4's first party games.

We don't know clock speeds yet for the gpus; they should be similar, but it could be that ps4 runs at 800mhz and ONE runs at 1ghz offsetting some performance but even if this was to happen, its unlikely to be more than a 50mhz difference.

We have seen space where the Titan was only 5% faster than the 7970GE and others where its around 20-25% faster but 60% more cost, The aggregate median which the 780/Titan is over the 7970GE is somewhere around 15% excluding AMD's 13.5 expected gains which they are saying that there possibly is about 7% gains in performance across the line, from AMD's site direct the pre-test on 13.5 had the 7790 now mixing it with the 650ti Boost and 7850 1GB, while at the top the 7970GE is about 8% faster than the 680. I can't see AMD being in a rush for the next gen, they now know that GK110 was never that all conquering GPU despite packing double the resources on that of Tahiti, its now about executing and delivering a complete knockout particularly what we saw in this generation AMD's drivers far outpaced Nvidia's and we have seen chief writers from nvidia leave these are the guys that did drivers, and we all know what drivers do to performance.

that's unusual. jaguar, disappointing? iirc brazos was so good (for the form factor it was built for) that oems put it into ultra portable laptops instead of just netbooks. it's igpu was way better than then-available atom socs. amd still made enough money (50 mil. brazos powered devices) to have it become their most successful launch. if anything, it's fx that is disappointing (and just when you thought it stopped disappointing, it sinks to new lows).
consoles is actually a success. their approach to designing jaguar paid off in a big way. they can put it in semicustom devices as well as their own platforms. can bulldozer/piledriver double-dip like that? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.