AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 210 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

KaveriLineup-617x502.png

which are the same as the current generation: 17W/25W/35W for mobile and embedded applications, and 65/100W for desktops and workstations.

Besides using an improved 28nm process, the Steamroller cores in the CPU allow for a more efficient chip.

Intel God

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

When did intel ever say Haswell would be 15% faster then ivy? I've never seen a slide even hinting at that. Haswell is just ivy with a reworked back end, more instruction sets, more powerful IGP and on die VRM's.

Who cares about the IGP :lol:

Haswell consumes more power then ivy? Since when? :lol:

INTEL-HASWELL-84.jpg

Haswell doesnt overclock huh? The Costa Rica chips are showing up and they're overclocking oh so well compared to the Malaysia's

6a8e60d3_50xmultiprime.png

No offense to toms but who cares what they recommend? Everyone knows when you want the best performance you buy intel. Want 2nd best? Amd's the best choice

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

funnny you keep pointing out how much intel improved on ivy yet still hasn't caught up to amd's 32nm. hasbeen was designed all about reducing power and can't compete against 32nm. this is a fail of billions of r&d.

you keep bragging about iris pro wich is only available in a laptop and hasn't been shown for its power consumption. its slower than gtx 640m so most laptop vendors are opting to sell hw with a 650m for the same price as iris pro. fail #2

you keep bringing up that bit tech power consumption yet most every other review shos ivy being slightly better and up to 30Watts lower power than hasfail. fail #3.

hasbeen changed nothing over ivy bridge aside from idle power.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

mainly because we were talking about titan. not mush has changed with 700s.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_760/28.html

^This

Andandtech is known to many, as biased towards intel. Notebookcheck is also known as absolute f4il in some cases. It is once threading gets better that the FX8350 will start to be even faster. Now, please go away or (preferably) contribute in a helpful, non Intel Fanboy-like manner. Don't post Intel biased benchmarks and start talking about relevant topics RELATING TO STEAMROLLER! The mods will start deleting these types posts as seen at the initial post. Stop posting nonsense on TDP (>implying that the Intel does not cost money to operate too and that the FX8350 has about the same cost for the initial purchase+ power than the Intel 3570K's initial price) and understand that Haswell-E 8-Core will cost an arm and a leg, that is where the 12/16-core Opterons come in, not the FX line.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
^^ and intel generates its own power it soooo efficient at getting blind followers who can't comprehend average benchmarks and only look at the biased and skewed numbers as being true.

kaveri at 28nm is going to smash hasbeen on idle power.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

The only Steamroller processors I expect to see in 2013 will be APUs, I doubt the FX Steamroller will debut until first quarter 2014. That is bad in a way as every Intel fanboy on the internet is going to jump all over their i7s outperforming the new Steamroller APUs. They will overlook the fact that the FX line is what is made to compete with i5 and i7. Their delay may unfortunately give Steamroller a bit of a black eye until the FX line releases.

As I have more than adequate cooling, and I live in a country where we don't have to power our houses with a little mouse running on a wheel, I'm not too concerned with performance per watt. I'm concerned with pure performance. I'm thinking that Steamroller will match Ivy Bridge in pure performance. That is single core execution I'm looking for Steamroller to be very close to or match Sandy Bridge, and multi-core execution I'm looking for Steamroller to outperform Haswell (4 core processors) across the board. That would basically put Steamroller between Sandy Bridge and Haswell performance wise or basically at around Ivy Bridge.

With Steamroller poised to be much better at single core execution and the best general purpose processor in multi-core execution it will all come down to what software you are running as to is Intel better or is AMD better.

Before someone pounces on Intel's upcoming 8 core Haswell- Yes, I'm sure the 8 core Haswell processors will best Steamroller FX, however the cost of building a system with an 8 core Intel processor would be staggering. I find it totally puzzling how Intel fans jump all over performance per watt and then point out how 8 core Haswell will destroy everything else. I wonder what the performance per watt on one of those bloated beasts will be? With the cost difference between 8 core Haswell and Steamroller FX how many decades would you have to run it non-stop to see your savings in power consumption offset the initial purchase price? I'm guessing a century at least LOL :D

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I hope AMD will make some deals with mobo manufacturers to release a lot more mITX boards for the Steamroller APUs. The current situation is just laughable - AMD has the best APUs for HTPCs but only a couple mITX mobos that support them.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

As long as Kaveri shows better performance than Piledriver APUs in CPU benchmarks, we will able to get at least a good idea of how much better the FX line will be as well. That's all I care about - to see SR improvements (even if it's for APUs) - to keep me waiting for a Steamroller FX release instead of going Intel route (1055T is still good enough for now).

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
That didn't help with the doubt Hafi..... Why is it the i7 have lower idle than the i5, makes no sense to me. Considering AMD's bigger process 32nm vs intel's 22 and AMD vastly lower R&D, Intel's idles aren't that impressive IMO, they just caught up to the APU.

I think I might now what you're referring to with the efficiency: What is the greater tech the, x that requires 1000w to do "work" or, y requires 100w to do the same thing. y of course, I agree with that*. However if the 2 are equal and x is cheaper than y, and if people don't care about efficiency they will go for x.

AMD does not need to beat Intel in efficiency to be successful (Excluding servers) they just need to be faster. So if we see an 8450 being faster than an i5-4670k in gaming people who wants to game will go for AMD, even though the AMD part is an 125w part over the 84w. Yes AMD won't have beaten Intel in terms of tech, as Intel still have the best perf/watt, but if people buy the AMD due to perf/dollar what does it matter that you have the best tech if you lose sales**.

I really hope that this came through to you, as the others seems to have missed your point (I hope the above was what you have been talking about :D ) And I hope that you understand that, yes intel is superior in tech(perf/watt), but that doesn't necessarily means that they will sell, which is ALL(!!!) that counts.

(*As an example: I personally find everything in Nvidias 7xx series boring (except for 780) Because they have worse efficiency and are just higher clocked, that is not moving forward tech(perf/watt) wise.

**Nvidia had a killer with the 680 better efficiency and better performance than the 7970, but look, AMD drivers improved and became slightly better than Nvidia. What did Nvidia do? They INCREASED the TDP of the 770(680) due to higher power consumption, so now the 770 is better than 7970 at the cost of some efficiency. By that you can see that better perf/watt is not as important if you don't have the performance crown in the segment.
)

Yes, but note a few pages back I showed Crysis 3 is running on 9 threads that do "significant" work. And note the 4 core processor with HTT outperforms the 8 core processor. That's your single core performance benefit in a nutshell.

Also note that generationally, the results are sorted by clockspeed, another indication that Crysis is sensitive to single-core performance. Likewise, IPC clearly benefits the title, hence why a 6300 @ 3.5 outperforms a 8150 @ 3.6, due to PDs IPC edge over BD. Those two extra cores? Not helping absolute performance.

So despite the fact it uses 9 workload threads, which is a rarity, single core performance, not core count, is the determining performance factor for CPUs (beyond a certain threshold at least; 2 core CPU's simply get swamped. Quad Intels look OK though). The only advantage more cores is giving is a lower CPU utilization, which allows for the system as a whole to do more things in the background without affecting performance, but once the CPU reaches the point where it can get all its work done, IPC + Clock, not core count, drive performance.

So, a game that uses 9 workload threads gains best performance with the highest clock + IPC. Which is what I've been saying for years. Yet despite the fact I present a "well threaded" game, show that performance is dominated by clock + IPC, I'm sure people will still argue that single core performance doesn't matter.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Here we go with performance per watt again, and again, and again, and again..... Man you must really have an energy crisis where you live!! I mean come on as a community can't we get together and send hafijur a high yield generator? That little mouse powered generator running on the wheel he has just isn't cutting it, the poor thing needs a rest!! If we don't do something soon PETA is going to use the poor guy as their next campaign target!!

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Of course single core performance is still important, no one is debating that:heink: If single core performance wasn't important AMD wouldn't be working so hard to increase single core performance with Steamroller. All that others are trying to point out is the future games, using Crysis 3 as a first generation "blueprint" for how a game is made, will have to have good single core execution and the ability to run multiple cores and threads. Crysis 3 as a first generation type game utilizes 9 threads heavily, what will happen when games are optimized even more for multi-thread use? Games using 10, 12, 16 threads? How will a dual core 4 thread or even a quad core 8 thread machine hold up then?

Piledriver already "stacks up" well compared to the much more expensive i7s in Crysis 3. Steamroller is set to vastly improve single core execution over Piledriver. Where would that put Steamroller on that chart? What gamers looking to the future are seeing is dual core processors utilizing 4 threads are already showing they aren't going to make it much longer in the new gaming world. Quad core processors utilizing 8 threads will be next, as you pointed out Crysis 3 already utilizes 9 threads and they had to release a patch just so Intel processors could "shine". That is what makes Steamroller one of processor types for the future: a real effort to improve single core execution and I fully expect the FX Steamroller to be at least 8 core, but a 10 or 12 core would be awesome. As previously said Steamroller won't be in the class by itself, Intel is going to release 8 core Haswell, but how many gamers will be able to afford an 8 core Haswell when a 4 core Haswell is already priced way too high?

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I Hope we are misunderstanding what he's implying. I think he's going at this not due to his fear of wasting watts but more about what I posted above:

"I think I might now what you're referring to with the efficiency: What is the greater tech the, x that requires 1000w to do "work" or,y requires 100w to do the same thing. I agree with that*. However if the 2 are equal and x is cheaper than y, and if people don't care about efficiency they will go for x."

By that if you had to choose between the two and say which one is the best tech without thinking sales/money. The answer is y or intel. I think that is his point.

8350rocks

Distinguished
My point is this...

8350 + HD 7970 GHz > 4670k + HD 7870 for the same money.

You made your spiel about perf/watt...I made my point about perf/$.

Perf/$ > perf/watt to a great majority here...that's why your point has not been taken seriously at all.

/rant

Which system looks like a better build?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faOi
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faOi/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faOi/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1236.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-10 10:39 EDT-0400)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faQh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faQh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1faQh/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1206.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-10 10:41 EDT-0400)

#TRIEDTOFIXITBEFOREYOUPOSTED In additon, the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is a good $70 less than the equivalent Intel Z87 Sabertooth Board.

Of course single core performance is still important, no one is debating that:heink: If single core performance wasn't important AMD wouldn't be working so hard to increase single core performance with Steamroller. All that others are trying to point out is the future games, using Crysis 3 as a first generation "blueprint" for how a game is made, will have to have good single core execution and the ability to run multiple cores and threads. Crysis 3 as a first generation type game utilizes 9 threads heavily, what will happen when games are optimized even more for multi-thread use? Games using 10, 12, 16 threads? How will a dual core 4 thread or even a quad core 8 thread machine hold up then?

Why would you want to? The CPU isn't the bottleneck, so adding more threads just for the sake of adding more threads will SLOW execution somewhat. Wheres the performance benefit?

#AMD Build, due to the SSD, superior motherboard and my love for PGA :3
Equivalent Intel Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fb2D

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Wow!... 107 pages.. and so many garbage

Perhaps went the "marketing departments" go to sleep this thread may get back to topic and attract some "experts" ( its in the title).

So many seem glad to *WORK FOR FREE* promoting a "lady" that in their ignorance think its theirs(edt)... i OTOH would feel like a complete imbecile even if i state publicly what system i'm using... when IF the *VENDORS PAY ME* i'll do it (pay me well LOL ).

One example of ignorance... there is a reason why "game console" IDMs are able to extract sometimes 10x the performance of their hardware compared with the *super-bloated* PC world (average for a game is much less than that, but quite higher nonetheless)... so when comparing this "games" to have a "clew", you have to compare with nvidia drivers and AMD drivers, that is, you got to compare s system with a Radeon and similar system with Geforce... PC world is so bloated in the graphics department that is not funny, drivers count a lot... otherwise only serves to fill pages with garbage.

abitoms

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Any particular reason you did not buy the $130 SSD with the Intel build? If you include that with the Intel build, it becomes $1285 and comes out costlier than the AMD build by about $50.

I don't question the $50 costlier motherboard you have for the AMD build since motherboards are beyond my IQ :)

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

As much as I'd like to see a Steamroller FX it is in AMD's best interest to stick to the APUs. The demand is much greater and thus more profitable for them. Intel seems to only update their higher end chips every other year. AMD could do the same with FX to save money.

A 5Bil company can only do so much to compete with a 100Bil company. Executing a few products well is more important than spreading too thin trying to compete in every segment.

Care to look at my updated one? Remember that the AMD is using a far superior motherboard.
Update 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4et7kDGSRfc#t=597s

Status
Not open for further replies.