Question AMD Drivers and Software Keep Failing After Succesfull Install

JonnyDarcko

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
Ok, So I got an AMD 580 4GB GPU installed works great. I installed the AMD software to detect best drivers and install them via the prompts. I go into the software and everything is green and works great. I can play games perfectly fine. Then after 1 day, AMD will no longer open and I get errors from many games telling me they are not compatible with the AMD or drivers and the software does not open. I reinstalled it twice and same issue, I reinstalled the Windows 10 and same issue. Just wondering if anyone knows whats up or should I install base drivers for the GPU and skip the AMD site altogether? Worst part is that once I uninstall the drivers, all my games work perfectly fine but with bad FPS.

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for your GPU, did you buy it used or was it bought brand new or was it a hand me down?

Ok, So I got an AMD 580 4GB GPU installed works great. I installed the AMD software to detect best drivers and install them via the prompts. I go into the software and everything is green and works great. I can play games perfectly fine. Then after 1 day, AMD will no longer open and I get errors from many games telling me they are not compatible with the AMD or drivers and the software does not open. I reinstalled it twice and same issue, I reinstalled the Windows 10 and same issue. Just wondering if anyone knows whats up or should I install base drivers for the GPU and skip the AMD site altogether? Worst part is that once I uninstall the drivers, all my games work perfectly fine but with bad FPS.
Probably, the driver install either got corrupted or didn't fully remove old bits from the old driver....I've had that problem before when using 'detect best drivers' features.

First thing is to uninstall the drivers from the Control Panel/Programs and Features applet. It's usually called "AMD Software". You should be asked to re-start to complete the uninstall. When that's done wait a few minutes for Windows to completely identify and install default drivers (they only provide minimal functionality for 2D mode so no 3D acceleration for games). The display will flicker once or twice when it's done.

Now run the AMD cleanup utility. You should download it first from this web site:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

Once that's complete, and you've restarted if it asks to, and you've waited for Windows to re-install it's default drivers again if it needs to, then install the latest Radeon Adrenalin Edition RX580 drivers which, again, you previously downloaded from this web site:

Those are official AMD support and driver packages. Polaris GPU's (which RX580 is) are still on the current support tier so staying current that way works...best.

Last edited:

JonnyDarcko

Honorable
Jan 7, 2017
Probably, the driver install either got corrupted or didn't fully remove old bits from the old driver....I've had that problem before when using 'detect best drivers' features.

First thing is to uninstall the drivers from the Control Panel/Programs and Features applet. It's usually called "AMD Software". You should be asked to re-start to complete the uninstall. When that's done wait a few minutes for Windows to completely identify and install default drivers (they only provide minimal functionality for 2D mode so no 3D acceleration for games). The display will flicker once or twice when it's done.

Now run the AMD cleanup utility. You should download it first from this web site:

Once that's complete, and you've restarted if it asks to, and you've waited for Windows to re-install it's default drivers again if it needs to, then install the latest Radeon Adrenalin Edition RX580 drivers which, again, you previously downloaded from this web site:

Those are official AMD support and driver packages. Polaris GPU's (which RX580 is) are still on the current support tier so staying current that way works...best.

Thanks, I reinstalled it all again before this and it worked for a day, but once I shut down and restarted the PC the drivers failed, AMD sofware would not open and I guess DX11 failed as well as some of the errors. I just followed your instrustions and now Im testing to see if it happens again, this is the wierdest thing ever lol.

EDIT: After doing those steps it still crashes about 10 minutes into playing a game, and when I reboot and click on the same game it says my DX11 is not installed and AMD software will not open and fails. I also tried installing windows updates to latest as well. Also some games after the crash say the Shader 5.0 is not compatible but only after it crashes.

I'm going to uninstall AMD and clean it, then reset graphics driver manually to default. Then I'm going to install a basic GPU driver for my card and see if that effects it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I reinstalled it all again before this and it worked for a day, but once I shut down and restarted the PC the drivers failed, AMD sofware would not open and I guess DX11 failed as well as some of the errors. I just followed your instrustions and now Im testing to see if it happens again, this is the wierdest thing ever lol.

EDIT: After doing those steps it still crashes about 10 minutes into playing a game, and when I reboot and click on the same game it says my DX11 is not installed and AMD software will not open and fails. I also tried installing windows updates to latest as well. Also some games after the crash say the Shader 5.0 is not compatible but only after it crashes.

I'm going to uninstall AMD and clean it, then reset graphics driver manually to default. Then I'm going to install a basic GPU driver for my card and see if that effects it.
What do you consider a basic GPU driver? the one Windows would install with no AMD driver is as basic as it comes.

DirectX component files are provided by Windows update. If they are corrupted...or have never fully updated following the Windows10 re-install... then it would explain your problem. Try running the following from an elevated command prompt to see if there's any system file corruption that needs fixing:

sfc /scannow​

And last, you might do an uninstall using Display Driver Uninstaller. I think it's more complete at finding and clearing all the registry settings, folders and files left behind when uninstalling display drivers so worth a shot. Follow it's instructions and it's far more effective if you reboot into Safe Mode to run it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022

I've had this similar issue where radeon software fails to auto update. So my
recommendation is deleting the entire C:\AMD folder and C:\AMD CHIPSET sometimes they can conflict with the new installation. Another thing to note is ddu doesn't always delete these directories/drivers even though you can configure ddu to delete all traces.

Last edited: