Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
Hello I know this question might be asked alot of times but hear me out.

I've been a diehard Intel fan since 13 years ago because I didn't had any compatability / performance problems on my CPUs I only needed to exchange them due for them to be very old... I have a i7 2600k that still functions after reaching ~105ºc constantly and I switched into a i7 4790k to have a bit more performance and speed. Well now we are at 9th gen and I don't know but I will maybe switch to a next CPU next year. This CPU (i7 4790k) is still fine but I have some problems in games and windows that things boot up slowly and everything but I think that can be fixed when I format my PC.

My build has an i7 4790k, 16gb of RAM ddr3, m2 ssd 500gb and GTX 1070 GPU.

The problem is about 13 years ago I had an AMD build like AMD CPU and AMD GPU, well there was one day that the PC wouldn't turn ON and I checked the case and was smelling burned well it fried all my components, might be because of the powersupply but I used the same powersupply on the next Intel / NVIDEA build and everything was fine so I though it was AMD fault and never build up a PC again with AMD.

Now I see these new Ryzen CPU's and comparing them to Intel CPU's they are a lot cheaper and have better performance when doing multiple things at once ?

I'm a gamer I play games and I watch youtube / netflix while gaming, I often stream, and I'm also a programmer... What do you guys think I should go for ? Keep going Intel or should I switch to AMD due to these new Ryzen CPU's ? Keep in mind I will still use NVIDEA as my GPU.

I mainly game Black Desert Online, League of Legends and sometimes I get these new single player games like Nier Automata, Dark Souls, etc...

Pedro Monteiro

Honorable
Dec 31, 2014
I would say definitely Ryzen for your needs. However I’d also say it depends what level you are looking at. At i3 & i5 level I just couldn’t recommend Intel over equivalent Ryzen CPU’s. At i7 & i9 level it’s a lot closer in my view.
Well my main concern about i7 or even i9 is really the price when I bought mine they were also quite expensive but I don't think they were as expensive as these new cpu are that's why I'm inclining to go to AMD, what about gaming compatibility and such is there any noticeable difference ?

Endre

Reputable
I won’t make a suggestion, but I’ll tell you these:

1. Intel CPUs are better for gamers, music producers, and for everyone involved in serial computing (processes that are being run in a specifical order).

2. AMD offers more cores and better prices. AMD is best buy for most users. AMD thrives in parallel computing (split workloads).

Conclusion: Make a decision based on what is more important for you.

Well my main concern about i7 or even i9 is really the price when I bought mine they were also quite expensive but I don't think they were as expensive as these new cpu are that's why I'm inclining to go to AMD, what about gaming compatibility and such is there any noticeable difference ?
Gaming is very close. For pure gaming the i7 & i9 can achieve slightly better FPS but this is in the best case scenario of running a high end gpu at lower resolutions. If you increase resolution or go down the gpu tiers the difference becomes negligible.

I don’t do programming but apart from that my pc usage is similar to yourself. I have just ordered a Ryzen 3700x and RTX 2080S for my own system having carefully considered both i7 and Ryzen options.

Reactions: Pedro Monteiro

Stewart_2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Intel are like Apple and BMWs for those who care more about their image than what they actually get for their money. AMD are and have always been the maverick for the enthusiast hard core anarchists who have to be different (like me). I use intel on servers and AMD on my desktops why? cos without AMD Intel would skin us even more alive we need they need competition not a monopoly. Currently the best deal has to be Ryzen5 3600 with the X570 Asus Tuf as it has Pci4, oh yes Intel what is Pci4? Yes u can use a cheaper mobo without a serious upgrade path for the future, but why would you? Always think about tomorrow be wise Intel have had their butts seriously spanked and its about time to

Stewart_2

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
There was and still is nothing wrong with the FX 8350??? I love mine and have 2 system never needed anything else. I agree Intel were better now things are upside down and Ryzen is set to dominate for YEARS to come. maybe hopefully.

I thik the answer is simple, right now either Core i7, i9 or Ryzen 7 if you want a system that can last for some years. Performance in gaming vary depending on the playing resolution and detail level, but those are very, very close. Theres only one bad choice right now if you ask me, and thats buying a Core i5, today thats a really bad choice, instead pick the Ryzen 5 3600/3600X

The Ryzen 5 3600 is a beast for the price but if you can afford a Ryzen 7 3700X that will be (for me) a better choice.

Heres a build example. I would have picked the no Wifi version of the motherboard (usually goes for around $169) but right now it was at the same price as the Wifi one:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $559.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 06:38 EST-0500

Now for the more budget version just get the Ryzen 5 3600, and the Asus Prime X570-P (which has the same VRM as the TUF and the expensive Hero model). Like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($149.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-05 06:47 EST-0500

Cheers

PD: You could use the same mobo on the Ryzen 7 3700X, but the TUF looks much, much better.

Reactions: GarrettL
There was and still is nothing wrong with the FX 8350??? ...
Only in comparison to what Intel was putting out in the same time period was there anything wrong, FX just couldn't compete at the top tiers of Intel's lineup. But it's easy to understand why now... AMD simply did not have Intel's cash pile and so had to use what they had sparingly while developing Zen.

But considering there's currently really no GOOD technical or performance reason NOT to choose AMD anywhere but in mobil market I'd say avoid Intel if you possibly can.

I prefer to reward the company that's done more to advance consumer computing than Intel has, and has consistently done so since the earliest days of computing. All Intel has done is use it's monopoly in anti-competitive and anti-consumer attempts to eliminate AMD from the market.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k&t=350s

Last edited:
Reactions: Stewart_2

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

I've been a diehard Intel fan since 13 years ago because I didn't had any compatability / performance problems on my CPUs I only needed to exchange them due for them to be very old... I have a i7 2600k that still functions after reaching ~105ºc constantly and I switched into a i7 4790k to have a bit more performance and speed. Well now we are at 9th gen and I don't know but I will maybe switch to a next CPU next year. This CPU (i7 4790k) is still fine but I have some problems in games and windows that things boot up slowly and everything but I think that can be fixed when I format my PC.

The problem is about 13 years ago I had an AMD build like AMD CPU and AMD GPU, well there was one day that the PC wouldn't turn ON and I checked the case and was smelling burned well it fried all my components, might be because of the powersupply but I used the same powersupply on the next Intel / NVIDEA build and everything was fine so I though it was AMD fault and never build up a PC again with AMD.

Now I see these new Ryzen CPU's and comparing them to Intel CPU's they are a lot cheaper and have better performance when doing multiple things at once ?

I'm a gamer I play games and I watch youtube / netflix while gaming, I often stream, and I'm also a programmer... What do you guys think I should go for ? Keep going Intel or should I switch to AMD due to these new Ryzen CPU's ? Keep in mind I will still use NVIDEA as my GPU.

I mainly game Black Desert Online, League of Legends and sometimes I get these new single player games like Nier Automata, Dark Souls, etc...

You're not having compatibility problems back then, but you might get that problem soon.

Intel is currently are having a bad day since the launch of the newest processor AMD has. Why? Well, ask Linus Tech Tips about that. You can watch their latest video about Intel's repeatetive product launches and pointless arrive. Intel's not innovating enough that it pissed everyone on its way.

Intel's been ripping everyone off for over a decade now and it's time to give way for a far more cheaper, innovative and new product than we used to have 10 years ago from them.

Imagine Intel is like the new "Apple" now.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think the answer really is any of the above, but can contain parts. For me, it's the monitor. The cpu sets the frame limits. It can only pre-render so many frames and ship them to the gpu in a second. If you are pushing a 1080p/60Hz monitor like most of the world is/has been for years, then all you need is a cpu capable of putting 61fps or higher with any consistency or whatever the gpu can keep up with.

Some ppl claim Intel is king, gets higher fps. Bunk. If you can't use them because they are beyond monitor refresh, they are next to useless.

Intel is king simply because the flagship models have the highest IPC, no matter what they are maxed out. That doesn't affect lower ranked models as higher grade amd are faster.

In a nutshell, red vs blue is irrelevant for the most part.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
At i7 & i9 level it’s a lot closer in my view.

Well not to disrespect but it's funny to hear LOL, Apology about that. But the price comparison of Intel over AMD makes me wanna search about the intel's monopoly for the past 10 years. They suddenly dropped their prices half of the original after seing how successful AMD became from the recent releases of new products.

Well not to disrespect but it's funny to hear LOL, Apology about that. But the price comparison of Intel over AMD makes me wanna search about the intel's monopoly for the past 10 years. They suddenly dropped their prices half of the original after seing how successful AMD became from the recent releases of new products.

My point is based on today’s prices, not historical and the halving of prices does not apply to consumer socket 1151 CPU’s where reductions have happened but at a guess less than 20%. The 50% reduction I know of was technically a different cpu although just a refresh of the prior generation version.

I’m not defending Intel and this has been bad for consumers. However I doubt any other global company that had little competition would do any differently. Intel do have a legal obligation to maximise shareholder returns. Competition is very good for us consumers, let’s hope it continues.

... But the price comparison of Intel over AMD makes me wanna search about the intel's monopoly for the past 10 years. ...

When you're talking the market power of a monopoly you are not just talking pricing. You're also talking how abuse of that power is used to inhibit competition's access to the market place. Dell, for instance, was basically propped up by Intel kickbacks so long as they toed the line and didn't offer (at that time superior) AMD processors in their products.

Distributors in the EU were absolutely denied access to Intel CPU's if they offered AMD in their line cards. It's small wonder the German market is crazy about AMD now they have fully performance competitive products as they are fully aware of Intel's tactics.

Watch that video i linked earlier. Even if you don't agree with his conclusions he gives you plenty of reputable research sources to look into what's transpired ever since the 80286 processor days.

Last edited:

Since you mention that you do a lot of other things while you game such as stream and you are also a programmer, definitely choose an AMD Ryzen CPU. For a similar price, you will often get a significant increase in core count that really helps in multitasking while gaming as well as for productivity tasks (compiling). The specific performance you get for the games that you play will also depend on the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor that you are using.

One small thing is that if you are using the Intel MKL (Math Kernel Library), then your performance could be artifically crippled if you go with AMD, as said library will always choose the most basic function to use if a non-Intel processor is detected (even if said processor is capable of more advanced instructions).

Endre

Reputable
I’m not defending Intel.
But let’s remember that Intel is “The King”. Because they have the money, and whoever has the money, makes the rules!

I think that AMD slapped Intel’s face, but make no mistake about it:
THEY WILL ANSWER BACK!
Even if it will take them 1-2 years!
(Maybe they are already building some secret “weapon” that will revolutionize the entire industry).

If you program, then you compile stuff - a CPU with many threads is useful here to run the linker, check dependencies in the IDE etc. In which case a 3600 and its 12 threads could outperform an i7. Of course, a R7 3700X and 16 threads would simply trounce the i7 everywhere.
As for hardware quality, please keep in mind that when something fries in a PC, more often than not it's the motherboard or the RAM - as such, it's not really AMD's fault, it's the motherboard manufacturer or the RAM manufacturer. And, yes, AMD being the 'budget' option during the FX run, you had dodgy hardware even coming from big names - I have a pile of MSI "Gaming" motherboards, looking all slick in dark gray and black, that were sent to the trash pile because they fried after 6 months.
If you get a proper quality Ryzen motherboard, you won't get that problem. I personally favour the ASRock B450M Pro 4 - I've built several these past few months, and the only problem I've had with them is that only the first M.2 slot is NVMe compatible - the other only gets SATA. That caused problems when I wanted to use one to clone NVMe SSDs, but it's not exactly a frequent use case...

Reactions: RodroX