AMD phenom II x6 1090T and M5a78l-m LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

duelist

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
So I bought this processor and motherboard and assembled it, works like a charm. Only that it says the CPU isn't supported. The computer boots okay, only i need to press F1 to get to the desktop. I updated the BIOS to its latest revision, and did all that; however, it still isn't supported. Is it bad that it isn't? What will i be missing without the support for it? Thank you in advance.

Solution
Since AMD typically puts out a fairly large number of processors in the same family over a long period of time, as well having new processors that are compatible at least electrically with older socket types the support from the mother board manufacturers isn't quite as comprehensive as it is with many intel CPU's as long as you are in the supported family list with AMD motherboards and CPU's you can likely run the processor on that system.

That said you will likely not have full features available in bios and I would be hesitant to do things like trying to unlock cores and so forth. Based on your model of mother board you stand a chance that you will be using only 4 of the cores on your hexacore processor, that said there is an...

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Since AMD typically puts out a fairly large number of processors in the same family over a long period of time, as well having new processors that are compatible at least electrically with older socket types the support from the mother board manufacturers isn't quite as comprehensive as it is with many intel CPU's as long as you are in the supported family list with AMD motherboards and CPU's you can likely run the processor on that system.

That said you will likely not have full features available in bios and I would be hesitant to do things like trying to unlock cores and so forth. Based on your model of mother board you stand a chance that you will be using only 4 of the cores on your hexacore processor, that said there is an equally good chance that all are being used and you are simply not officially supported.

Solution

duelist

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Testing it out, with games and stuch, its registering as a 6 core. I do not intend to unlock cores for now, so I don't have a problem with that. I will try to use Prime95 this week, i have no time to do so today or tomorrow. It's running fairly well, but loud, but thats just the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.