AMD Radeon HD 7770 And 7750 Review: Familiar Speed, Less Power

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]If you can afford :Intel Core i7-3960X, Gigabyte X79-UD5, 16 GB of ram and lastly an Intel 250gb SSD, then you would be a total idiot to buy a AMD 7770![/citation]
Err, maybe because they wanted to test these cards in a system that wasn't gpu dependant?

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
7770 at 80 Watt... on 72Gb memory... And the next down is the weak solution only on 55W... Makes me think the target for 7770 was 75W, and marketing department forced them to raise clock to 1GHz for this stupid "GHz Edition" moniker. I bet slightly underclocked it would fit nicely into 75W envelope and almost not lose any performance because the obvious bottleneck is memory. And the yields of working chips on lower clock would be better, allowing for lower cost.

At least it seems slightly better than the 5770. Probably a good thing since the 4870 was slightly better as well...
The proformance isn't much better than my 4870 so I'll pass and if I WAS to upgrade I think I'd get the GTX 560 Ti.

Big-Mac

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Kinda of disappointed.
i am waiting for a GPU that power consumption = 6850, perfomance = 6950, price = $150.

While it's overpriced right now, this is an amazing card overall. I mean seriously, it has almost 200 less shaders than the 6770 and performs way better. That is awesome!

Complaining about launch price is kind of stupid. Sure, it's not the bet price/performance right now, but so what? Get the 6850 instead. Big deal. But in a few months and it costs what it's meant to cost, this 7770 is going to be absolutely amazing value.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The gap between these two cards is fairly large. There's almost enough room for a 7760 at 70W TDP, and sitting at half of the performance / features / price difference between the 7750 and 7770. Such a $135 card would easily best the 5770, would still fit under the 75 W power limit, and could have better, quieter cooling than the 7750 too.

Core Clock: 900 MHz
SPs: 576
Texture units: 36
Texture fill rate: 32.4 Gtex/s
TDP: 74 W (estimated)

The 7750 aims just a bit too low. Disabling one fewer modules and upping the price a bit make for what I think is an even more compelling card, especially if it's quiet like the 7770, has rear exhaust like the 7770, and still does not require a 6-pin power connection like the 7750. My 2c

I don't see the prices of the GTS450 and GTX550Ti going down much because of this. $160 is way to high for retail for the 7770 when it should be around $115-130. Sure they are wonderfully small and use very little power but their costs is just to much. Also they didn't beat the GTX460/6850 like I was hoping.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
wth is this bogus tesselation chart???

AMD maintains a higher percentage of loss because it only gains a meager percentage when tesselation is off compared to on??? That is like the craziest spin I have ever seen.

G

With low power and heat I could see them putting this into the new xbox.

G

i was hoping the brick and mortar store down the street would find reason to replace the 5770s on their shelves. i guess not :(

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]I would like to see a passively cooled HD 7750.Dead-silent HTPC with 5770 performance (a card good enough for 1080p gaming, perhaps even with mild AA).[/citation]

Would be nice, but 55W is too much to dissipate passively, especially in a tight HTPC case. And if I am reading the charts (Idle vs Load) correctly, the card can actually consume even more. Strange.

Was expecting a little more from the 7770. I think for now it will sell to gamers wary of their crappy PSU supporting a 6850, but it won't really pick up till it drops in price. Like the 5770 before it the launch price is a little too high, but once it falls a bit it will be an excellent buy. I think the 7750 in particular designed to be sold at sub $100 and still make money so there is room for AMD here.

coverfire_68

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Seriously XFX is pissing me off I can't find any reseller that has an xfx black edition 7 anything.... want a 7950 black edition but oh no EVERYONE is out of stock...... waaaaaaaa.....

Launch prices are always high, so I'm not going to beat on that [dead] horse; I just never buy anything at launch. What will be interesting is how quickly they drop, and how much. I really hope Kepler shows well. to encourage that process.
XFX will make a single-slot HD7770 soon enough, and Powercolor will release one with no PCIE power connector. Sapphire or HIS will make it low-profile. Some combination of those will likely be the one I buy, either a HD7750 for ~$80-$90 or a HD7770 for ~$100-$110.

Misdissident

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
To be honest, I'd be careful with the insults. As much as the 7770 seems so pointless right now (really, is there ANY reason to pick a 7770 over a 6850 for gaming?), it's really teetering on the edge of requiring no PCI-e power cable. I will bet a non-reference design will kill off that PCI-e power cable slot and then you'll end up with the most powerful card under a 75w TDP, which is a big deal. Personally, they should have dodged the whole "lol lokk 1ghz card so cool!" and focused on making it just a tad weaker for this exact purpose (and a tad cheaper).

The 7750 is the card to admire at the moment - the amount of strength in such a tiny TDP is amazing at this point in time. It's definitely going to kill if it hits the 70-90 price point, and it's going to kill hard as the new "card to actually get into PC gaming" that'll fit/work pretty much anywhere (low profile? low tdp? no PCI-e slot? HTPC?). It'll probably be cheap, plentiful, and will probably hold that "niche" slot until a modified 7770 takes it over eventually. This'll really translate well into mobile chips.

Hell, considering how conservative some of the hardware is on these cards despite how much power they truly pack, I only have higher hopes for the 7800 series; these cards are definitely more efficient than the 5/6700 series and I bet similar developments will transfer over to the 7800 series.

It's obvious the price margins are really obnoxious at this time, however. These prices are silly, but others have posted potential reasons for that, so I just accept it as a "launch price" and not what it'll represent in the market in a few months.

I'd love to see what NVIDIA has to combat these - if anything. Their high-end game is great, but their low-end game is pretty... bad.

G

They are giving you worse performance for the same price as their last generation parts and these fanboys are happy about it. Stop combining your sense of self worth with a corporation. It only serves to screw you over.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
crossfire performance of 2 or 3 7750s would be interresting to see. i remember back when 2 4770 was a killer buy at the time.

hannibal

Distinguished
Good cards! And yes, older cards have allmost always been better bang for the buck! Allso in this time.
The 7770 is not so interesting, but 7750 is guite good even at this moment. That is allmost amasing...
The GPU sales has not been good last year, so there is a lot of those older cards left, so it would be economical suiside to make these cheaper at this moment... They have to sell those older out first... And in the beginning (when there is no pressure from nvidia) they are making it by selling new cards at high price. Later when and if Nvidia starts price war (lets hopes so!) they will reduce the price of older cards... And after they have gone... the price of these will start to fall down to meat the productions cost (depending on the competition of cource. If Nvidia, as I am afraid, will follow the AMD leave will make new cards guite expensive, it will take some time until these are competative with olders... In price I mean. Even at this moment they are great for low energy altenatives.)

It would be nice to see 7770 SE or similar with 75W consumption. There is room between 7770 and 7750 a this moment: As someone said even downclocked 7770 could do that.

atari 2600

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
7770 is offering reference GTX 460 1gb class performance at the same price point and on one 6pin 80watt TDP card = Nvidia is getting crippled.

atari 2600

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
[citation][nom]Cazalan[/nom]Impressive for 80W. With these numbers it looks like the 256bit version (7850) will be a significant upgrade from the 6850.[/citation]
The 78xx cards will be good but it will come down to price that will be the determining factor on if they will be great. The 7770/7750 is being held back from greatness just based on it's priced to high if it came to market at $130/$140 than it would have been great but at $160msrp it is hard to recommend these card over last gens 68xx series when the 6850 is now only$140 and a bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.