AMD Radeon R9 300 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yep. amd has another chance since radeon hd 7970. the gpu itself should be expensive, HBM too. doesn't look like titan x's competitor though.

Well that was already expected of AMD because they themseveles said they didn't want to be the cheaper solution which is true because the 970 killed SO many prices for amd chips that they didn't make money. However, if it isprice neer 900$, i would probably get a titan x because of the driver support/hairworks/gamestream. I plan on getting a shield so yea.

But if AMD fails this, big time bankruptcy will occur

ChickenWizard

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I don't know about you guys but I don't have $1000 to spend on a GPU. I just want a good GPU for a good price (was hoping AMD could deliver but I guess not). Now AMD wants to be like NVIDIA and price things very high. Great, now I get to pay more! Thx AMD!

ChickenWizard

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I think so too. When I said I wanted a good card for a good price, I don't necessarily mean a really cheap one but just nothing too expensive, like over $550-ish CAD, tax included. (I'm in Canada).

http://www.lazygamer.net/pc-hardware/amd/amd-wont-just-be-the-cheaper-solution/

Yep, more money in mid range, but amd should focus on midrange. AMD is gambling they will make more money with their titan equivalent but no.

All i know the specualtion began with the info extracted from AMD own 15.3 beta driver. From there it points to 370 will be 270. But not too long ago there are talks about 370 will be about as fast as 780 while only consuming 140w (i did not dig up on this one so i don't know where the original rumor comes from). Honestly i want to know what happen to captain jack as well that we saw late last year (a card that was supposed to match 980 performance while consuming less). If the the card was such a beast then why AMD did not counter 980/970 launch with it? Anyway it will not be long. Will AMD bring new top to bottom line up like they did with 7k series and prior? Many would hope so but don't put too high expectation on it. 285 was simple tale where a decent or even good enough product turn into a bad one because of unreal expectation.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I have no confidence in AMD's release but I'm praying they release some amazing alternatives to Nvidia. I feel like I'm ready for an upgrade. My SLI 570's are playing TW3 on almost the lowest settings. I want some choice with this next purchase. After owning these 570's I'm all about getting low noise and low heat output so a 970 is looking likely at this point.
Come on AMD, Stun me with a $300 card that is as powerful as a 980 but only draws 80watts. Dreaming....

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

and I thought that was the R9 390..........................................................wadafaq, turns out it's the 980Ti, so this means we'll be getting our 390X at USD500afterall instead of 800bucks

computer_noob

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I wouldn't say it "ruined" AMD cards. It just requires a little "kerjiggering". I maintain 30FPS with hairworks on by enabling tesselation within a Catalyst profile set to 16x. This is with a 7950, lowest settings is shadows and foliage range set to medium/high and using FXAA. By doing this AMD cards are actually doing better than Kepler (depending on how the performance there has been improved with Nvidea's latest drivers released today).

The 980ti @649USD (as well as the price drop of the 980) definitely gives me a lot to think about but I am still going to wait and see what AMD has. My hopes to upgrade to a new AMD product by the time Witcher released were dashed, but I still have a little bit left that they will release something competitive soon.