AMD Radeon R9 300 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Would you prefer it if they called it the 395x2 and priced it super high like they did with the 295x2?

Not the first attempt for AMD to play premium. They did it with 7970 when they priced the card at 550 believing the premium was worth it over 580 at 500. Personally i don't see the problem only that many people preceive that AMD was a cheap alternative to nvidia solution. That's why despite 3 months lead over 680 they lose market share instead of gaining more.

Not the first attempt for AMD to play premium. They did it with 7970 when they priced the card at 550 believing the premium was worth it over 580 at 500. Personally i don't see the problem only that many people preceive that AMD was a cheap alternative to nvidia solution. That's why despite 3 months lead over 680 they lose market share instead of gaining more.

Nitro192

Distinguished
"It's almost like they don't even want to compete by creating new innovative products anymore. Intel practically is dominating the CPU market since AMD takes ages to develop and release new CPUs, and Nvidia already has a large portion of the graphics card market and is likely to gain more of it if the 300 series is a failure."

I couldn't agree with this statement more, If AMD doesn't pull out something that competes with the high tier i5's than they have lost the CPU market. A 6 core CPU running at 4.0Ghz that games the same as an Intel dual core running at 3.2Ghz is going to get nobody anywhere. But in terms of GPUs, The 970 I picked up because I wanted to buy now and I love the card to death, It's a total beast in every title. Ultra doesn't even phase it. Faster than a 780Ti in some situations but sells for $200 CAD less with more VRAM.

The only reason I can find that AMD would do a rebrand is if they have millions worth of backed up chips laying around that they need to get rid of and can't afford to just throw them away. But at the same time, I'm sure they realize that if they don't pull out something that performs like a 970 for a cheaper price, than they will lose many customers because the majority shop in the 400-500 USD range.

And with game developers favoring Nvidia lately with things like Gamestream/Hairworks etc, They have this one last shot to compete. And I'm not talking about a 395X2 that needs its own watercooler and costs over a thousand dollars, I'm thinking a 380X that is priced just under the 970 but performs slightly ahead, and a 390X that outperforms the 980 at around the same price. Can they do it? We'll have to wait and see. If it's a rebrand, than the entire company might as well fax over their surrender, because they just can't afford to fight Nvidia at this point.

It's become an interesting AMD bashing thread.

First, AMD was doing pretty good in the mid segment. The 270X performs very well, still, for the money. Take a look at the chars and everything. I'll leave one example: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1043

The 760 is a $250-ish card and the 270X is a $190-ish card.

The problem AMD is facing now is not where the gross sales are. How many of you have 780ti's in SLI or 980's in SLI or even a pair of GTX680's at least?

I know I have just a 7970 Ghz and every one of my friends have something around a 270X in price (under 200).

You can bash AMD all you guys want, but even the 290X is priced accordingly to where it stands (near the 970, $350-ish). If you start looking at compute, it even triumphs the Titan X in some tests.

So, in short, you can bash AMD all you want before they even put the product out, but all that hate will just play against you when you decide on what to get because of a misconception of where AMD stands at all times. You guys need to browse some more before passing judgement so harshly on AMD.

Now, I can't say Fiji will triumph the Titan X, and now with the 980ti out, nVidia covered their bases in the high end very nicely against AMD. The leaked price of the Fiji flagship gave nVidia a nice MSRP card to play and they used it fully. I would love to think they know something we don't about Fiji, but I do know their marketing team is brilliant.

Cheers!

ChickenWizard

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I have a GTX 645. :) Anyway the 290X is not anywhere near as good as Titan X let alone the 970. Yeah maybe in compute performance, but who cares? I really want to get a (hopefully) awesome new AIO 380, but if all the rumors are right, like it being expensive and rebranded and all that, then AMD will be the dumbest company on the planet and will be in huge trouble with NVIDIA. I'll just have to get a 970. Sorry if I came on a bit harsh by the way, I didn't mean to! :)

ChickenWizard, the 290X is not a Titan X fighter, we all know that since the Titan X was introduced and there's not even an argument to be made otherwise. My point was just about illustrating how ill informed most of you are in terms of strengths and weaknesses of each card on the market. A market where most none of us participates in. It's like when you're talking about how Ferrari is better than McLaren or vice versa. We can discuss about that all we want and say McLaren is garbage or Ferrari is, but we'll just get a Toyota at the end of the day. So, you want to know how Toyota do as well in the market.

The analogy falls a bit short, because reliability is not such a crucial thing for video cards in the mid range (it's hard to say warranties are bad nowadays), but the point stands: you're talking about flagships, where the gross market for them is not even in the double digit percentage, I'm sure. Even worse, you're all condemning AMD for doing re-hashes for video cards that still deliver great performance per dollar. Even more, where all of those cards, being GCN, get most of the benefits the high end line gets; including optimizations. nVidia just left Fermi and Kepler to die as of late and it sucks (my lappy has a GTX675M).

I'm not saying you can't criticize AMD, but don't bash it blindly.

Some of what I've read is valid though. AMD has been lazy about improving GCN (no money for R&D can do that). The high tier GCN cards are just great for compute, but suck at games. HBM won't help make the GPU be less of a slouch, so unless they have improved the core GCN design, Fiji might be a bust from the get go. Now, there are 2 sheds of light that bring hope: the 285 and 290X. If you look closer on what they did with the 285, there's interesting tech at play there. Some of that tech made it's way to the Titan X, so there's hope for a fight back from Fiji.

Cheers!

ChickenWizard

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
I know that AMD's cards still perform well and give a great performance per dollar, but most of us don't want to spend our money on 4 year old hardware that puts off a lot more heat than is necessary for today's standards and whatnot. By the way, what do you mean when you say that NVIDIA has left Fermi & Kepler to die? Just curious. :)

AMD Radeon Fury Fiji GPU Die Pictured - 300 Series Coming This Month
http://wccftech.com/exclusive-amd-radeon-fury-fiji-gpu-die-pictured/
you can see the stacked HBM chips on the gpu package. the gpu die is Big.

AMD being cheap ia good for consumer but not for themselves. And even being cheap does not help them gaining market share. People said nvidia purposely gimping fermi and kepler. I can understand about kepler but fermi? Heck even 750ti is about as fast as fermi flagship product. Also fermi will still going to get DX12 unlike AMD 5k and 6k series. The way i see it people like to believe conspiracy theory more than try to thinking logically why kepler are falling behind in recent titles.

Anyway i looking forward what AMD will bring in the future. I just hope they work harder for the sake of their customer and doing less whining and mocking the competition.

sla70r

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
A re-brand, done correctly, could be a good thing for AMD as far as the lower tier cards are concerned. I would imagine the main reason they would do this is because of a high inventory count, but at the same time they probably fill orders for other companies and ship it so I cant see why they would have such a massive amount of inventory. But, pretending they do, a re-brand of a 290x at a price point of 300 ish could do wonders for them. If they price the re-brands correctly, they could do very well. Another reason for a re-brand could be they are getting a discount/or found a cheaper way to mass manufacture the cards from the 200 line. Price point on the re-brand will be everything IMO.

Rebrand while can save cost it is not wise to do it over and over. If AMD want significant market share increase they have no other choice than do top to bottom release. 290X/290 shows that they can't gain much of market share even with the mining craze help.

Computex: AMD Fiji aka Fury X slower than GeForce GTX 980 Ti
http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/news/hardware/vgacards/35572-computex-amd-fiji-aka-fury-x-slower-than-geforce-gtx-980-ti.html
Computex: AMD toont Fiji-videokaart achter gesloten deuren
http://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/43996/computex-amd-toont-fiji-videokaart-achter-gesloten-deuren
AMD Fiji: 8 GiByte angeblich ab August, "Radeon Fury X"/4G knapp unter Titan X
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/AMD-Radeon-Grafikkarte-255597/News/Fiji-8-GB-Fury-X-Titan-X-980-Ti-1160568/

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

Well, Since the card that was eyed didn't have BIOS in it. And never ran. Who knows till later this month how the card will perform. We can sit here and search the web and find all sorts of rumors. They still can tweak drivers and BIOS. Just have to wait and see if AMD succeeds...or fails!!!!!!

Radeon Fury X... Kung Fury X... Wow... I don't know if it's brilliant or an awfully stupid name they gave to Fiji's AIB incarnation (supposedly).

And the closer the reveal date, the more fake stuff will come our way. Careful with the winds blowing a ton of toilet paper with brown stains on them.

Cheers!

EDIT: Typo.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

This is red teanm so red stains!!! :pt1cable: