AMD Radeon R9 300 Series MegaThread: FAQ and Resources

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

I know it hasn't been confirmed, but.........

obama_kicks_amd.gif

AMD shows but won't say Fiji
http://semiaccurate.com/2015/06/03/amd-shows-wont-say-fiji/
behold the interposerrrrrrrr!!!1111

AMD Radeon 300 Series Pricing Leaked - More Expensive Than 200 Series
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-300-series-pricing-leaked-expensive-200-series/
most cards are getting a 2GB vram bump. pitcairn/curacao with 4GB GDDR5, for example.

AMD R9 Fury X Is Potentially The Fastest GPU in The World - How Fast Can Fiji XT Realistically Be ?
http://wccftech.com/amd-hbm-fury-x-fastest-world/

So, all those leaks / information point to say that AMD has been having issues taming the beast's fury? Heh.

Bad puns aside, it is positive information none the less, so we should have more hope now. Still, keep the salt near you guys.

Cheers!

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

I honestly do not understand why people hate rebrands that much...
Lets look at the benefits of rebrands :

-Fixes any discovered chip defects and bugs.

-Uses an already stable and strong driver.

-Good compatibility with older software. (As those software will simply detect the card as the older variant.) (Eg. HD 6670 detected as HD 5670)

-More funds for AMD to allocate towards architecture development and improvements.

-Cheaper for consumers, as the fabs and third party manufacturers (MSI, Diamond, XFX) already have the infrastructure and experience producing those boards fast and cheaply.

-Lowers the price of the older variants. (Nothing prevents people buying the R9 290X when the R9 380X comes out for a cheaper price for the same performance.)

-And more...

The only disadvantage is that those rebrands do not have the newest architecture, and kids can't brag anymore about how their GPU is the "bestest and the awesomest" (sic).

Do i hate rebrand? Honestly i don't know. But knowing the card is just the same old one but with a new name did leave me less excited about it....except cheaper price maybe. The funny thing is when nvidia did the rebrand people said that was dishonest towards consumer. But when AMD did it was a smart move lol. Personally i can see the valid point about why AMD doing rebrands. But i don't think it is a good long term strategy. At one point even going with cheap price are not enough.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

The only reason a company does rebrands is because they have no choice. If you have nothing new on the table you either don't release anything for a period until you do or you rehash your old stuff. AMD have been waiting a couple of years now with no new releases. They finally come up with something new but it's not going to make a big range because yields are low or what ever reason. So they fill the rest of the line up with rehashs.
Clearly it's fair if they have a good range of higher end, mid range cards then it's appropriate to release the older high end cards and the new low end since it should be cheaper to make by that point.

Yeah, people always whine about how AMD is treated unfairly and underrated and all these Nvidia fanboys and blah blah but AMD is just the same with their fanboys and such.

There are 2 ways companies take on rebranding stuff. The good way, which is they have inventory left, but the cards are still good enough for everyone, and the bad one, in my opinion, which is just withholding new models because there is no need to get them out yet and replace the current "low end / mid end" line.

AMD is in the first one this time, but has been in the second one as well (9800 time). I don't recall where has nVidia been on every turn, but I do remember they have been on the 2nd one for some time now due to AMD not being able to triumph their x04 GPUs.

Cheers!

er... not to fearmonger, but ... isn't amd beating around the bushes too much? fiji's model name has turned into a worst kept secret.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/amd-teases-fiji-but-refuses-to-reveal-fury/

To me holding back your top product so you can maximize your profit is a good move. Consumer might not going to like it but company main goal is to make as much profit as possible. But i dare to say that nvidia did not really hold back by releasing GK110 much later than GK104. I mean why GK110 and not GK100? GK100 probably having similar issue with GF100. remember that nvidia also come late with GF110. AMD set the bar low with 7970 so nvidia just take the chance to push their GK104 harder and wait until GK110 are truly ready. Lol AMD probably thanking nvidia for that because if nvidia did come out with the incomplete GK100 they won't be able to make a come back with 7970Ghz edition.

To me holding back your top product so you can maximize your profit is a good move. Consumer might not going to like it but company main goal is to make as much profit as possible. But i dare to say that nvidia did not really hold back by releasing GK110 much later than GK104. I mean why GK110 and not GK100? GK100 probably having similar issue with GF100. remember that nvidia also come late with GF110. AMD set the bar low with 7970 so nvidia just take the chance to push their GK104 harder and wait until GK110 are truly ready. Lol AMD probably thanking nvidia for that because if nvidia did come out with the incomplete GK100 they won't be able to make a come back with 7970Ghz edition.

deuce_23

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
<Mod Edit for language I used to be a big fan. They have been re branding since HD7xxx and i am over it. Now they have HBM but refuse to release any benchmarks while Nvidia have released 5 cards Gtx 960 gtx 970 gtx 980 gtx 980 ti and titan x. AMD cant even give me a bench mark. At least say here is a prototype Benchmark it so i know if it is worth the wait. Unless this HBM kicks nvidia ass i am changing to team Green.

I loved you when i had my 4870x2 it was a beast got it for $650 it lasted about 5 years. then i upgraded to the HD7950 and i love the way you named the cards. But now you have hurt me and i can no longer stay in this relationship. I will always think back with fond memories. Nvidia can cater to my needs. Bye AMD I hope you find your happiness.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009

I would hold off as well. Wait to see what AMD hits the water with. I also need to upgrade my HD7950. Hope AMD can do something with these new cards against Nvidia. Competition will help us consumers!!!