Discussion AMD Ryzen MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

:rofl:

Not laughing at you but at the leaked benchmark in the forbes article that has World of Tanks in it. Bless that person soul for doing a benchmark but WoT isn't that demanding of a game :D.

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Simple juan, Amd was decent enough to go into bios and turn on turbo boost 3 @4ghz, whilst using stock coolers.
This helped 6900k ST scores whilst the 6900k MT score was slightly throttling, this is intels fault for creating a crap air cooler.
Using anandtechs water cooler numbers compared to ryzens stock air still puts ryzen ahead.

Now assuming ryzen used xfr to boost to 4.1ghz (ive heard it was NOT used but ill digress) we get Ryzen being around 2% slower ipc than broadwell,which is margin of error stuff.
Now cinbench being the benchmark you said would determine ipc above all others i assume you now accept Ryzen ~ broadwell ipc?

If you take other tests such as leaked gaming/passmark/cpuz/CB MT as well as efficiency we can determine with realistic confidence that Ryzen is a better core than broadwell - all things considered.
The latency numbers are troubling yes, but with such buggy bios right now its hard to get a concrete picture, the only thing we do know is Ryzens cache system is robust enough for it not to matter in in real scenarios, evidenced by leaked gaming benchmarks which are latency sensitive and show ryzen beating broadwell.
Then there is the fact that ryzens IMC seems to be more efficient than intels extracting more bandwidth out of same memory than even skylake.

All in all we can conclude AMD has made a better more efficient version of broadwell, on a worse process no less :)

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

Thanks for the links juan.
Also remember scan have pre overclocked r7 1800x at 4.2ghz, they dont traditionally do max overcking for obvious reasons, as was the case foe for kabylake being 200mhz lower.
Now assuming Ryzen gets only 4.2 max, that has to be compared to 1050$ 6900k only achieving 4.3ghz :)

your correct we need reviews.

One key thing to remember as Ryzen launches and "buggy" behavior is discovered here and there is AMD is dealing with a whole new architecture. Hopefully any bugs can be quickly worked out via software/ bios updates and aren't anything to worry about. I'm sure Intel and Intel friendly reviews will try to make the most out of any bios issues AMD may have at launch, however hopefully we can all see through that for what it is.

Right now, with all the early/ leaked benchmarks showing basically the same thing across the board, I think it is safe to assume that Ryzen will perform as predicted with no bombshell issues. A big question is if Ryzen will get fair and unbiased reviews or will some yield to Intel's pressures. One can only guess what Intel will "discuss" with reviewers before they write their articles, for those reviewers who yield to the pressure and contact Intel before publishing their reviews.

If Ryzen is everything I expect it to be I wonder how long it will be before Intel rolls out a new architecture. I personally believe that Kaby Lake is pushing their current architecture to near limit of what it is capable of.

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Current roadmaps point to icelake on 10nm in Q1 2019.
Maybe they can push that to Q4 2018 if really really pushed, excepting lower yeilds in the process.

Who knows what this will provide performance wise? Assuming they go wider with HT x4 then could be massive jump.

Then again zen++ on 7nm is thought to be H1 2019 :)

Be careful talking process. Intel's is a "true" 10nm node, everyone else, not so much. It's getting quite arbitrary really.

Intel won't do much to counter; you'll maybe see six/eight core chips in the enthusiast market, but I doubt Intel is going to change coarse. Core is remarkably optimized, and there's really only so much low hanging fruit left to clean up. As I've said for a while now: As we reach the end of die shrinks, we reach "peak computing". I fully expect everyone to end up stuck at more or less the same performance level while we work out how to replace current CPU design philosophies.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Still 2018 for the desktop processor, high hopes for Z270 support. Then I might pick one up.

Got burned on Broadwell with my Z87 board. Not that Broadwell was that interesting, but the option would have been nice.

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Nope i was referring to mainstream desktop, cannonlake 10nm is for mobile Q4 2017.
Coffeelake 14nm+ (50% more threads) either Q4 2017 or Q1 2018.
Icelake new uarch+ 10nm either Q4 2018 or Q1 2019 .

There is no cannonlake 10nm mainstream desktop as far as i know, and rumours point to no cannonlake 10nm HEDT 2018 either.

Likely Coffeelake X or something.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
Speaking to the review boxes sent out, they definitely are mostly different. I've seen three now and each one has had a different(or no) cooler/motherboard. Also, a reminder, for large multiquotes, use spoilers or it's really hard on mobile users.

svengalis

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
dont think its been posted but new benchmarks!

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax3i-K6-VaA"][/video]

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/more-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-versus-intel-i7-6800k-gaming-benchmarks-leaked-online/

Intel no doubt about it are in the drivers seat. They have built a well deserved reputation on power and performance and while Bulldozer stymied in the mid range, iCore vaulted into high performance history. AMD has everything to prove with Ryzen, whereas Intel really have nothing to prove to anyone. That being said, I really don't think a die shrink to 10nm is going to be enough if Ryzen debuts where it looks like it will and AMD can get get more performance with their second generation. Ryzen is in first generation so it should, in theory, be able to be pushed much harder and optimized much more than Intel's iCore which is entering 8th generation. Intel's process is extremely optimized and can't be pushed much further. AMD has a real chance of recovering some market share before Intel can release a new architecture.

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Yes, globalfoundries moves to 7nm H2 2018, it is expected (not confirmed ) that amd will use this 7nm for zen 3 in H1 2019.

Intels 10nm yeilds suck, hence why there will no cannonlake desktop in 2018, they will use 14nm+ Coffeelake instead.
It is expected Globalfoundries 7nm will be equal to intels 10nm, so in 2019 they will have process parity for the first time in 10 years.

french toast

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

No this has nothing to do with Samsungs 14nm Lpp process which they use now, it is a ground up design using the purchased/aquired IBM semiconductor team/fabs/IP.

Should equal intels 10nm, at least.

jaymc

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007

lol... haha.

Still no reviews.. A watched kettle never boils eh.. I was checking at five this AM an all.. :-(

Starting to wonder if the 28th was the correct date, think I read something in a recent article that was quoting March 2nd. Either that, or there are a lot of reviewers waiting for actual retail samples and not using the samples AMD sent them. Was really expecting a couple actual reviews by now.

I'm starting to figure out what things I can keep from my current build and what things will have to be upgraded from the start. I'm hoping to use my existing power supply (1000W 80+ Gold) which has done fine feeding my FX 8370 at 5+ Ghz. I'm just finding it hard to believe that the R7 1800X is actually going to be 95W at stock when the FX 8370 was 125W at stock. Wish we could get some real reviews so we know what the actual power usage is and where the verifiable benchmarks put the R7 1800X.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Wouldn't we wait to proper reviews before assuming which is the final IPC or which is the efficiency?

About IPC, recall that traditionally CB has been a good measure of average IPC for AMD chips (and the reason why AMD used CB in talks about Kaveri, Carrizo, or Bristol), but "The Stilt" said recently in an AT forum that CB was favoring RyZen now. I interpret his words in the sense of CB giving performance above the average.

About efficiency recall that CPCHardware confirmed me that the real TDP of the QS far exceeds the displayed TDP. And the Computerbase editor is confirming the same for the retail chips: "That the new big cooler is designed for 125W is not a coincidence, even if the TDP of the big R7 actually says 95W."

My estimation of 105W, which CPCHardware confirmed, was for base clocks and turbo disabled. Adding ACT I obtain a real TDP of about 117W, if I did no mistake.

Let us wait to reviews.

If you check the third link you can see to the Computerbase editor commenting on those pre-overclocked systems: "Other reviewers (like us) mostly also don't manage that level of OC with their Ryzen-samples. We are all doing the AMD bluescreen."

Until the actual reviews come out its hard to say what to expect for overclocking and power management. I don't think we will see huge surprises from what the early leaked benchmarks have shown, but overclocking and power management might yield some surprises. For one thing I would find it hard to believe that right off the bat the bios for Ryzen won't need an update or two to work out the bugs.

I also find it very hard to believe that the actual TDP for the 8 core 16 thread R7 1800X is only 95W. To be honest 125W wouldn't really surprise me, but if AMD comes in at your estimated 105W - 117W that would still be amazing considering the i7 6900K is has a TDP listed at 140W. If AMD actually pulls off 95W though that would make for a "cool running" 8 core 16 thread processor and leave a little more headroom for overclocking, in theory.

http://marketrealist.com/2017/02/amds-ryzen-versus-intels-core-a-performance-face-off/

Another interesting read awaiting actual reviews. I think the Cinebench scores quoted were provided by AMD, but still an interesting read.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Minor frequency bump as well...IIRC.

010TheMaster010

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
@French Toast
Why do you think it will be >= Intel's 10nm?
Given past history, between all major fabs that produce CPUs (SS, Intel, IBM, GF) Intel has the best node and is closest to the marketed number. GF/SS 14 is not a true 14nm and nothing (to me) points to true 7nm, or it equalling intels 10nm that will be slightly mature by that time.