AMD vs Intel Poll - Reply if you agree to the post

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Not bad, not bad at all... hehehe. Those were some pretty convincing points you got there. Now I wanted to know, when is Hammer coming out and also there's gonna be two versions right? A ClawHammer for desktops and a SledgeHammer for servers? Is it like Athlon XP and MP right now? Man I really hope Intel will speed their Prescotts up a bit. When the Hammer hits Intel's gonna have nothing to hold it back. That is if Hammer doesn't cost my shirt. Looking at the things you said it could have, that thing's a friggin' Cray. (hope it doesn't cost as much as one :tongue: ) By the way can anyone tell what this Silicon on Insulator Barton is supposed to have is gonna do?

eden

Champion
The date remains unknown due to delays. It was at first estimated to come out by now or before! However we all knew this was far off, and now the real ideal time is by end of this year. Some predicted October, but my best bet is that if Tbred comes out in May, it should be on time in December. Most likely those who look forward to buy one, will get the January chips, they will be rid of any early bugs, and the chipset will start to establish its reputation by AMD. Hopefully VIA will give out an even more performing one, and thus again breaking the performance barrier ever further!
Yes you got it right, ClawHammer is for home users, and is definitly what we are looking at most. SledgeHammer is what AMD hopes will turn the server market upside down and look to AMD instead of Intel, Alpha or whatever server CPUs there are. The SH is not targetting Itanium though since both have different 64-bit architecture, however since it DOES 64-bit, and the price will more than likely be 10 times less, I would imagine companies would easily want the SH since it allows hyper 32-bit performance and allows the transition to 64-bit easier.
Both have different sockets though! Also SH aside from MP mode, will have 1MB Cache, and much more, estimating 10% more performance than CH's.
About cost, AMD is known and we had discussed this once, prides for its low cost solutions. I am more than certain CH is also that way. Some people have heard AMD stating their continued support for low prices, and I doubt any CH will be higher than any top of the line P4. Actually I beleive CH's prices will be slightly above AXPs, so this is highly affordable and VERY attractive for its performance.

About SOI Barton, well there are many talks and fears that it may not see daylight. Think about it, Hammer will also use SOI which I forgot to add to its feature galore which ALSO will allow EVEN MORE clock speed ramping at 0.13m. It would be a waste to create a new chip and adding to its process something that the Hammer is more easy to implement now that it is done, and thus Barton would not do much. Especially since Tbred uses 200Pts PR jumps, thus it won't be more than 4 months, we'll reach PR3000 or 3200, so how would Barton allow so much more if ClawHammer needs the PR3400 as its debut and be known as the flagship?

Again these are all speculations which I beleive AMD will deliver right on target. Also remember, the Hammer is a K7 architecture with a full redesign and added features, known as K8. So for those who think it will have less performance, I simply cannot understand where would that happen, if it's a K7 bumped even further! The only thing that does decrease IPC is the 2 more stages to pipeline, which I highly doubt it does that much performance drop per clock, given Athlon's high IPC. And since they have added so much to compensate, the 20% increase per clock is more than logical from all these improvements.

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would imagine companies would easily want the SH since it allows hyper 32-bit performance and allows the transition to 64-bit easier.

Unless 64-bit performance is good, there is no chance in hell that companies will want Sledgehammer because of the easy transition.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Yeah it does depend, but this is 64-bit, that's how it is and will be. There is always room for improvement, but I trust AMD will not do it wrong.

--

FatBurger

Illustrious
The problem is, if AMD's version of 64-bit does not perform better than others, then the people who buy Sledgehammer have to go through a cold turkey transition to move to another product anyway. If AMD's 64-bit doesn't offer good performance, then there really is no advantage to it.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

eden

Champion
Damn you AMD where are the Hammer news already! We need some early benches!!

Sorry, lack of any interesting news recently has been very boring. Notice how CPU and Vid card hype months are always together in sync, and thus we can only wait for another 3 months before the next big hype... I think!

--

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh so Intel likes to put their shows near fleabag hotels?
yep, it's the only(known) way to effectively attract huge smelly mongrels and their fleas away from the prestiges Intel show.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
You realize that you just said Intel puts their shows by fleabag hotels to attract people away from their own show?

eden

Champion
Yep, I got an idea. Let's all pretend vice-versa what meltdown says. If he says he hates AMD, we will say he loves it! I think it would rock. No one is harmed, no one is banned, we just pretend everything in a way not ignoring him!
Yes that's right AMD Meltdown, you like Intel putting their shows near fleabag hotels! You like AMD Mongrels don't you? Of course!

--

kermit4karate

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
Fatburger, interestingly enough you phrased this statement as a matter of fact, when it's actually an opinion.

Still, giving you this, assuming you're right, people have come fairly close using AMDs to your 1.6A for substantially less total investment. So, in terms of price/performance, I have to agree with the initial poster.

I'd steal candy from babies if babies carried candy.

kermit4karate

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
This one, in principle only, the first in this thread:

(stranger )
04/03/02 03:57 PM
AMD vs Intel Poll - Reply if you agree to the post [Reply to this post]

You pay more for less if you buy Intel. Intel is just a "designer label"

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

I'd steal candy from babies if babies carried candy.

kermit4karate

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2002
Ha! Yes, that's right. I first responded to your post, which itself was in response to the one I just quoted.

How 'bout we just drop it for now? I'm sure we'll talk again.

The number of paychecks I'm owed by my .dot com employer: 6 (paid twice/month).

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ah, I see what you're talking about now. I said that no user on the board has been able to match my P4's performance, that is absolutely correct, not opinion in any way. Nobody has even tried to match it, in fact.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You realize that you just said Intel puts their shows by fleabag hotels to attract people away from their own show?
hey what can I say? in NY or CA if you're in a Mariott and step outside there's a good chance of seeing a fleabag hotel nearby, so sue me! LOL!

also, a mongrel is not a person.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"