AMD vs Intel Poll - Reply if you agree to the post

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
I'm afraid you were wrong, our school comp room has P3 450s, and when inspecting the BIOS, the main menu had a CPU Clock Speed option (wow how obvious) where you can easily overclock it. There you can augment the multiplier IIRC, not the bus though.
<sarcasm>Hey, my BIOS for my Pentium 4 system has a multiplier setting that can be modified as well. I guess that means my Pentium 4 is multiplier unlocked!</sarcasm>

The ability to change the multiplier in the BIOS has always been present. However, it does absolutely nothing when used on a processor with a locked multiplier.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
Yes it does, I saw it in front of me, we changed the multi from 350 to 450MHZ P3s. Apparently someone wanted to toy with one of the comps and underclocked it to 350MHZ. So how can you tell me otherwise?

--
For the first time, Hookers are hooked on Phonics!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
we changed the multi from 350 to 450MHZ P3s. Apparently someone wanted to toy with one of the comps and underclocked it to 350MHZ. So how can you tell me otherwise?
Either you had an engineering sample installed in that machine, and it was unlocked, or the system BIOS just made it look like the clockspeed changed when you modified the multiplier. All Pentium III 450MHz processors that were publicly available were multiplier locked.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

eden

Champion
Ahh well I dunno then... I did notice the speed went up, in the Mem Test, it went faster to find 64MB RAM than at 350MHZ. Might have been a sample, but I'll ask my friend to test out other CPUs around him too, and maybe use an old CPU benchmark just to be sure.

--

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Of course there are some rumors that some processors have been multiplier locked at their rated multiplier as the maximum multiplier, with some lower multipliers available, but none higher. As the lock was designed to keep people from overclocking via the multiplier and selling it as a faster procesor, this would still work. But it would allow you to lower the multiplier for diagnostic reasons or to increase your FSB without overclocking the processor. Thusfar I have yet to see any of these rumored processors.

-Raystonn

eden

Champion
Yeah most likely not, because the BIOS option also allowed OVERclocking, above the 450MHZ, but going above 500MHZ often resulted in an alarm beep when the comp exits BIOS and reboots... It's really odd nobody knows what these models could be!

--

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
You don’t need to bench the system to see a CPU MHz change.
WCPUID shows CPU speed and multiplier so you’ll be sure about that P3 multiplier unlock

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD vs Intel poll? where

to top that off "Reply if you agree to the post" wtf kind of poll you running?

Matisaro, Fatburger stated "no AMD user on this board has been able to prove that their AMD can match my $140 P4" and you link to someone elses score... what part of "their computer" dont you understand. you cannot get any lamer.

You would need a supercooled XP 2100+ to play in the same sandbox as my aircooled <A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=3101149" target="_new">P4 1.6a</A>.

No water, no pelts!

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
I asked a simple question im my poll, I wanted a simple answer.

"AMD vs Intel poll? where to top that off "Reply if you agree to the post" wtf kind of poll you running?"

WTF DOES WTF MEAN?

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

You were probably changeing the front side bus speed and not the chip multiplyer. A lot of, if not most, non OEM boards allow you to change the fsb. Like Ray stated (he works for Intel) Every processor made by Intel since the P2 350 has been multiplyer locked. Except for engineering samples. As of this day no one has figured out a way arround this yet. And many smart people have tried.

Many old bios would show only the cpu speeds that they were programmed with.
4.5x100=450 bios=450
4.5x110=495 bios=500
4.5x112=504 bios=500
4.5x124=558 bios=500 or 550

As an example my first comp was a packard bell P75mhx. When I upgraded the cpu to a Evergreen 200mhz the bios only posted as a 133mhz. It did not know what a 200 was so it posted the highest number it knew. Although the cpu still performed as a 200mhz.

I aint signing nothing!!!

My brother-in-law had a P200mmx that would run on 2x,2.5x, and 3x. but would not accept anything higher than 3x. We finally wound up running it at 105x2.5=262 on a Asus P5a-b at board. So I have first hand knowledge that this was true with his processor. Although I have not tried this with any newer processors. Usually I wish they would have higher multiplyers. My memory caps out at 158fsb at cas 2/2/2. Although I can boot at 174 fsb with memory at 3/3/3. But 3dm2k1 boots me back to the desktop. Although everything else seems to be ok. Maybe a new powersupply would help. My old one only has 13amp on the 3.3v line.And the 5v line drops to 4.7 at this speed.

I aint signing nothing!!!

eden

Champion
AFAIK, I recall the multiplier changing and not the bus, thus 3.5 to 4 to 4.5 for normal P3 stock speed, to 5. Again it's night now, but I will see to it that my friend confirms. I don't take computer class but he does (it's boring, only web design and little VB programming, nothing to get hyped on)

--

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A poll consists of items to be voted upon. where are they?

you wanted a one sided answer, so why even ask the question?

Vote for your president, one choice and if you dont like it dont vote... G1 ok now what president will win?

Lets all kiss each others ass thread. Lemmings unite!

Proving once again that <A HREF="http://www.zombo.com" target="_new">anything is possible</A>.

G

it doesn't really matter to me. they're not very far apart cashwise right now anyway (according to pricewatch at least). I've always had P2's and P3's in my systems and i liked my P3. the fan went out on it 3 times and it didn't die. but on the other hand, several of my friends have had AMD's throughout the years and those were some good systems too. it doesn't really matter anyway. just check some benchmarks and pick one that you like.

jy88888888

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
OK then, wasted everyone's time on this post. Worded my post wrong but still I learnt a lot about AMD and Intel from everybody's posts.
Thanks

AMD VS INTEL - AMD anyday

FatBurger

Illustrious
But an interesting point: why is jy88888888 allowed to call Intel "nothing but a designer label", but Meltdown can't call AMD a "knockoff"?

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft