[SOLVED] ''An Operating system was not found'' on ssd but boots when I use another hdd window's dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

15YrOldCaptain

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
So before getting into anything I want to give a little history of my ssd. I have formated it multiple times and once converted its partition style from MBR to GPT using easeUS software to find out that my mobo/bios dosen't support it. So I installed windows on it again and formatted it during the windows installation and it worked normally, booted windows for about a month.

Then one day I had to do a fresh install of windows and then my bios started showing operating system not found on boot. I dont know if my ssds faulty because of bad logical or physical but I dont think thats the case because the weird thing is I can properly boot from ssd and use it IF I use another hard disk with windows on it. So when I have 2 drives ( My ssd with windows 10 and my freinds hdd with win7 ) and select my friends hdd to boot with from bios, windows gives me a screen to select windows 7 or 10 and from there I can select my windows 10 which is on my ssd and it boots up and I game on it.

But now I need to return my friends hdd and I will get the operating system not found in bios. So far the only thing ive thought of is that I use easeUS repair software and click on repairMBR for my ssd. So any help guys will be appreciated since I really cant buy a new drive anytime soon.
4051386_en_1

Solution
Make sure that in the BIOS you set it to boot from the Windows boot manager, not from any specific drive. As mentioned, make sure the boot drive is connected to the SATA0 or SATA1 header on the motherboard, whichever is the lowest available SATA header. Some boards do not HAVE a SATA0 header, and SATA1 is the lowest numerical header that is present.

Honestly, it probably doesn't make much difference so long as you have it set to boot from Windows boot manager in the BIOS but it's habit to connect the primary drive to the lowest numbered drive header because that is where the system has traditionally been designed to look first since many years past.
Did you have OTHER drives attached to the system WHEN you installed Windows on the SSD? If so, then it's likely that the installer failed to create a boot partition on the SSD because it already saw one on the HDD.

Reinstall Windows, exactly as outlined in my guide, with NO other drives attached to the system when you do so, except for the drive you are installing from and that drive should be either a flash drive or optical drive such as DVD or BD.

15YrOldCaptain

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Did you have OTHER drives attached to the system WHEN you installed Windows on the SSD? If so, then it's likely that the installer failed to create a boot partition on the SSD because it already saw one on the HDD.

Reinstall Windows, exactly as outlined in my guide, with NO other drives attached to the system when you do so, except for the drive you are installing from and that drive should be either a flash drive or optical drive such as DVD or BD.

Thanks. Ill try that and tell you back.

15YrOldCaptain

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Thanks. Ill try that and tell you back.
Okay so I re-installed windows without any other drives attached and it worked but after 2 restarts my bios again started showing no operating system found. Note on the third restart I installed another hdd and since then its showing no operating and it also does it when I remove the hdd

Okay so I re-installed windows without any other drives attached and it worked but after 2 restarts my bios again started showing no operating system found. Note on the third restart I installed another hdd and since then its showing no operating and it also does it when I remove the hdd
Windows boot is tied to the bios settings it looks at which HDD is set up as the first boot drive and starts from there,if your system stopped booting on it's own before you attached a different disk then your mobo battery is probably empty and can't hold a charge so the bios defaults to some setup that doesn't sees your HDD as the first boot drive.

Connect the HDD you want to boot from to SATA0 on your mobo,that should be the bios' default port to boot from.

Make sure that in the BIOS you set it to boot from the Windows boot manager, not from any specific drive. As mentioned, make sure the boot drive is connected to the SATA0 or SATA1 header on the motherboard, whichever is the lowest available SATA header. Some boards do not HAVE a SATA0 header, and SATA1 is the lowest numerical header that is present.

Honestly, it probably doesn't make much difference so long as you have it set to boot from Windows boot manager in the BIOS but it's habit to connect the primary drive to the lowest numbered drive header because that is where the system has traditionally been designed to look first since many years past.

Solution
Mar 10, 2021
Did you go in to BIOS and look at your boot sequence, or priority order? Looking at your hard drive where Windows is located through file Explorer won't show the boot partition, at least not by default. But if you go to Disk Management you can see if your earlier attempts at installing a bootable copy of Windows created a bunch of partitions that are invisible to you and somehow causing problems. When your looking at your different storage locations in Disk Management you can see what partitions that functioning copy of Windows is using for boot and what it thinks of your other partitions. Windows 10->start menu-->windows administrative tools->computer management->disk management. And while youre in BIOS make sure something, or someone, didn't disable that hard drive or create any conflicts in all the shuffle.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you go in to BIOS and look at your boot sequence, or priority order? Looking at your hard drive where Windows is located through file Explorer won't show the boot partition, at least not by default. But if you go to Disk Management you can see if your earlier attempts at installing a bootable copy of Windows created a bunch of partitions that are invisible to you and somehow causing problems. When your looking at your different storage locations in Disk Management you can see what partitions that functioning copy of Windows is using for boot and what it thinks of your other partitions. Windows 10->start menu-->windows administrative tools->computer management->disk management. And while youre in BIOS make sure something, or someone, didn't disable that hard drive or create any conflicts in all the shuffle.
This thread is a year old, and already solved.

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.