[SOLVED] Analog headphones not working...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2020
I'm not really sure this is the proper place to post this, but here goes.

Sorry if I sound a little bit uninformed in tech, I'm 14 and I'm not tech savvy. However, on my PC, my analog headphones do not work. Analog headphones meaning it uses a 3.5mm jack for both the headphones and microphone.

Previously, this wasn't an issue because I used digital (USB) headphones. The headphones that I'm trying to use now are the Sennheiser PC37X. I've even returned them and got a brand new pair a few days later. This issue still persists.

The problem is that I can't hear anything and the microphone doesn't work. The only thing I hear is this strange scratchy noise (but sometimes, the scratchy noise isn't there ???). This scratchy noise does scale with how loud I have the volume on the headphones. If the volume on the ear cup is all the way down, the scratchy noise is almost gone. This scratchy noise does not scale with how loud I have the audio on Windows.

Things I have tried:

• Checking that there are no faulty connections (the cord is removable from the ear cup; I made sure that it is COMPLETELY plugged in.

Tried different devices
Dad's computer: We were eventually able to get the sound to work, but only in the left ear. There was still the scratching noise (but only in the left ear) and the microphone was working.

Brother's computers: Didn't work

My phone (Moto G4): The audio worked 100% fine, but I don't think there's a way I can test the microphone on here.

• I've downloaded MULTIPLE different versions of Realtek drivers. I tried updating the drivers, rolling them back, installing drivers that are old, drivers that are new, etc. It doesn't help that their download servers are insanely slow. On top of this, it seems as if Realtek recognizes the headphones. However, it doesn't bring up a notification that it recognizes it, asking if I plugged in a microphone or headphone in. (Note: Realtek will show up one minute in Control Panel, and the other minute it disappears. It still shows up in the System Programs though ???)

• Tried launching Windows in Safe Mode.

• Made sure the front panel is turned on in my BIOS (which, by the way, I also tried the headphones in the back of the computer).

• I've even tried the headphones on Ubuntu Linux. Nothing. (I don't remember which version of Ubuntu it is as I cannot check, but the release date was somewhere between January 2020 and now. Probably Ubuntu 19.04/19.10 if I remember correctly; I got the latest version from that time.)

One thing I was not able to test is another pair of headphones or speakers in my audio jack. However, I do remember previously I had a pair of headphones a few months back that did the same scratchy noise. I just assumed it was because they were for PS4 and moved on (I received those headphones as a gift). They were like EVO Core something.

I just find this an absolute headache because whenever an answer for something faulty seems to have popped up, it ends up not being the case. The chances of every sound card the three separate computers have being faulty is pretty slim. The chances of Sennheiser sending two faulty headphones is pretty slim (I don't even think they're faulty because they've worked flawlessly on my phone, but who knows). The chances of both my front and back panel not working are fairly slim.

Something interesting I found is that Windows always sets the volume of the headphones to the same value when plugged in, even if I set this to a different value before unplugging them. It's 46% I think. I don't know if this has anything to do with the headphones.

Computer Specifications (this is a pre built computer)
Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F @ 2.90 GHz (Turbo @ 4.10 GHz)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB (OC)
Memory: 2 × 4 GB DDR4 2400 MHz (idk which sticks)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M IB-R
Power Supply: 800 W (idk what model)
Storage: 240 GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10, Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)

(Sorry for formatting, I'm on a phone.)

Solution
Welcome to the Forums :D

it sounds to me like your headset has a three line connector made for phones. a computer has a two line connector. in your headset the mic and the stereo are combined into a plug that the computer cannot use properly.

if I am right you either need a new headset or a line splitter like this. Example only, not an endorsement, shop around

https://www.amazon.com/NANYI-2x3-5m...prefix=three+ring+to+,electronics,206&sr=8-13

takes the three ringed connector and splits them into a mic and an audio out...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

it sounds to me like your headset has a three line connector made for phones. a computer has a two line connector. in your headset the mic and the stereo are combined into a plug that the computer cannot use properly.

if I am right you either need a new headset or a line splitter like this. Example only, not an endorsement, shop around

https://www.amazon.com/NANYI-2x3-5m...prefix=three+ring+to+,electronics,206&sr=8-13

takes the three ringed connector and splits them into a mic and an audio out

41DqyRcgw8L._AC_.jpg

Solution
Oct 1, 2020

https://www.amazon.com/NANYI-2x3-5mm-Headphone-Converter-Splitter/dp/B07G36WQ1J/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2RMX660HWU2NW&dchild=1&keywords=three+ring+to+two+ring+audio+adapter&qid=1601619100&sprefix=three+ring+to+,electronics,206&sr=8-13

takes the three ringed connector and splits them into a mic and an audio out

41DqyRcgw8L._AC_.jpg

I don't know if this is the issue. The headphones already have both a dedicated microphone and headphone jack. Also, I could be wrong on this, but even if the port reads for example four pins, shouldn't it be able to read three? Three pins have a left audio, right audio, and ground; four pins have left audio, right audio, ground, and microphone. To my knowledge, most desktop PCs (what I have) read 3 pins however, which is what my headphones are. Both the microphone and headphone jack have three pins.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
unless its a new laptop, PCs use a two ring connector. a three ring in a two ring socket will get you one speaker and part of the mic, its just how the connectors line up.

if your setup has a dedicated two line mic and a dedicated two line speaker ports then the three ring is not the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.