Jeff21

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
This is starting to drive me crazy now!

let’s start.
When Microsoft Flight Simulator released initially, like many others, I was trying to debug and the improve performance. I first reinstalled Windows 10 Pro onto my SSD. This didn’t cause any problems I believe.
Then I used DDU (in safe mode) to completely remove all display related drivers, I had done this before with basically no hiccups and I knew it could help with performance, which is why I done it. Here’s where some problems arose. After getting the Nvidia GR drivers installed and going as they were, I opened Steam as I normally would. However, now every time I open, I use X-Plane 11.50 as the test, since it always causes it, the program would load up but once it finishes initializing, at the point where I’d be at the main menu, the display changes to a seemingly random solid color, the system locks up and then one of four things happen.

1: After 10 secs-15mins the display backlight goes out, I get the window device disconnect then reconnect sound, just as if I were to actually unplug my video cable. Then (here’s why I use XP as the test) X-Plane gives me a Vulkan error and a CTD. After this, the system is absolutely perfect and can relaunch X-Plane with no problems. Until I shut down, restart, or sleep the system for a while.
2: It never rests by itself and I have press the rest button on my case, after booting back in it will always complete option 1 as normal.
3: This only happened once for now but I’ll include it. It sits on a color for a while but then decides to reset windows itself. Then option 1 is completely normally.
4: Not counting but I think this only happened twice for now. The system completely, 100% locks up, not even the reset button helps, I have to remove power from the system. Option 1 in completed.

This is obviously annoying.
I don’t know if that Vulkan error tells much.
I do know that it’ll NEVER do this until Steam is opened for the first time. I’ll add, after steam is opened, it’ll always do it at some point, I just launch X-Plane as it always triggers it on demand, I do this as my new start up routine, to get it out of the way. I’m certain it’s Steam initializing something!
Yesterday, I decided to reinstall windows again (note, all my games and important programs are on a separate drive to windows and are not removed in the reinstall) just without using DDU. All normal, after it was finished, I was back to the usual. Then I thought, maybe I’m missing something? I hadn’t installed Java since before the first reinstall, I done this and it only got worse, now X-Plane doesn’t even get past the first loading sequence, the option 1 or 2 happens, and I can’t launch it at all. Installing Java didn’t resolve this issue.

Now I’m here!

some info:
CPU: i7 7700K (NO OC)
GPU: RTX 2080 8GB (usual overclocked but I never even got to that trying to deal with these problems)
RAM: 32GB 2400Mhz
MOBO: Msi b250m Mortar.
Drivers and Windows MB firmw: all as fresh as can be and the latest versions. I could be missing some runtimes or drivers though.
I’ve never got a blue screen error from it. Although if audio is playing when it happens, the audio freezes as it would before giving a blue screen with an error that could help me
It’s exactly what would happen when overclocking a video card, and go a little over what it’s stable with, not so high that it give a blue screen error, just enough to cause it to reset. But, although I have MSI Afterburner installed, I have applied an of my profiles or even touched it at all, I just haven’t got to that step yet.

As with all problems I encounter, it’s a stupidly simple, don’t use that setting, you’re missing xyz, you forgot the xyz step, kind of fix. I just need someone to tell me it.

thanks in advance,
Matt.

Solution
FOUND IT! It was Msi Afterburner and/or RTSS, not my overclock, the software.
Uninstalling them has fix my problems!
Will look into in more later on.
Any ideas to exactly why? I suspect a DX12 and/or Vulkan bug.

Jeff21

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Do you have to restart PC or just steam to get it to run?

If it is the PC I could blame fast startup as possibly being involved.
If its just Steam, do you have steam running at startup?
I'll start by saying the new problem was solved by disabling SAM (a package required by some add on airports for animations) I'll have to reinstall it and have it initialize with java.
Just checked, yes it only happens after a system restart, shutdown, sleep, hibernate, etc. Anything like that.
How would I go about getting a log of this to provide?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try turning off fast startup, if you boot off SSD you don't need it. It might also remove need for a restart - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

its just a bandaid, the actual cause is an old driver not liking win 10 power modes.
You can see what drivers are actually on PC by running driver view

download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Jeff21

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
FOUND IT! It was Msi Afterburner and/or RTSS, not my overclock, the software.
Uninstalling them has fix my problems!
Will look into in more later on.
Any ideas to exactly why? I suspect a DX12 and/or Vulkan bug.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS