Je

Simply, how do you determine whether a chip is high or low density? Seems
no two chips have the same exact information attached to them and it is
really confusing do those of us who are already confused!!

Thanks,
Jack

--
Email no good, reply to group

Most often, by the chip count, though the specs are needed sometimes.

128 megabit per chip or less is considered low-density. That means a 128
MByte module must have 8 or 9 chips on it, and a 256 must have 16 or 18 (the
latter number for ECC).

Sometimes, the internal chip architecture makes a difference - a 32X4 chip
is still 128 megabit but not supported by many older (440BX, 810/e and early
815/e) chipsets -- you need a 16X8 architecture.

"JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> Simply, how do you determine whether a chip is high or low density? Seems
> no two chips have the same exact information attached to them and it is
> really confusing do those of us who are already confused!!

Je

Thanks Ed.

If I understand right, I see a 256MB chip with 8 chips on it, so that would
be a high density one and all with 16 on it would be low density!? Would
you need to locate the motherboard make and see which is compatible?

Thanks,
Jack

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Most often, by the chip count, though the specs are needed sometimes.
>
> 128 megabit per chip or less is considered low-density. That means a 128
> MByte module must have 8 or 9 chips on it, and a 256 must have 16 or 18
(the
> latter number for ECC).
>
> Sometimes, the internal chip architecture makes a difference - a 32X4 chip
> is still 128 megabit but not supported by many older (440BX, 810/e and
early
> 815/e) chipsets -- you need a 16X8 architecture.
>

> "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> > Simply, how do you determine whether a chip is high or low density?
Seems
> > no two chips have the same exact information attached to them and it is
> > really confusing do those of us who are already confused!!

256/8 chip is high density. Which system are you buying for?

> Thanks Ed.
>
> If I understand right, I see a 256MB chip with 8 chips on it, so that
would
> be a high density one and all with 16 on it would be low density!? Would
> you need to locate the motherboard make and see which is compatible?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack
>

> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > Most often, by the chip count, though the specs are needed sometimes.
> >
> > 128 megabit per chip or less is considered low-density. That means a
128
> > MByte module must have 8 or 9 chips on it, and a 256 must have 16 or 18
> (the
> > latter number for ECC).
> >
> > Sometimes, the internal chip architecture makes a difference - a 32X4
chip
> > is still 128 megabit but not supported by many older (440BX, 810/e and
> early
> > 815/e) chipsets -- you need a 16X8 architecture.
> >

> > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> > > Simply, how do you determine whether a chip is high or low density?
> Seems
> > > no two chips have the same exact information attached to them and it
is
> > > really confusing do those of us who are already confused!!

Je

It was in a Gateway M800 machine with an Intel D815 board and I want to
upgrade to 512MB.

> 256/8 chip is high density. Which system are you buying for?
>

> "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Ed.
> >
> > If I understand right, I see a 256MB chip with 8 chips on it, so that
> would
> > be a high density one and all with 16 on it would be low density!?
Would
> > you need to locate the motherboard make and see which is compatible?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jack
> >

> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > > Most often, by the chip count, though the specs are needed sometimes.
> > >
> > > 128 megabit per chip or less is considered low-density. That means a
> 128
> > > MByte module must have 8 or 9 chips on it, and a 256 must have 16 or
18
> > (the
> > > latter number for ECC).
> > >
> > > Sometimes, the internal chip architecture makes a difference - a 32X4
> chip
> > > is still 128 megabit but not supported by many older (440BX, 810/e and
> > early
> > > 815/e) chipsets -- you need a 16X8 architecture.
> > >

> > > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> > Seems
> is

It needs low density RAM. 2X256, 16 chips each is the maximum capacity of
the board.

> It was in a Gateway M800 machine with an Intel D815 board and I want to
> upgrade to 512MB.
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > 256/8 chip is high density. Which system are you buying for?
> >

> > "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Ed.
> > >
> > > If I understand right, I see a 256MB chip with 8 chips on it, so that
> > would
> > > be a high density one and all with 16 on it would be low density!?
> Would
> > > you need to locate the motherboard make and see which is compatible?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jack
> > >

> > > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message

> > 128
> 18
> > > (the

> > chip
> > > early

> > > Seems
> > is

Je

Thanks again for all of your help. I have a better understanding of these
things now, but much more to learn!