Question Any way to add VRR to a screen that doesn't have any?

Jun 26, 2024
Hi guys!

I'm going to buy a Samsung C27JG50QQU in a day, for a great price.
As it's an 1440p 144 Hz VA Panel display I'm fairly certain a GTX 1070 will not be able to render all the frames it could present in 100% of the times.

And with this, is there a way to hack/mod any type of Variable Refresh Rate into this display that would work with the Nvidia GTX 1070 card?

This display doesn't have native Freesync or G-sync support (some of its carbon copy lookalikes from Samsung have Freesync), neither does it have a USB I could use, but the HDMI2 port supports 1440p*144hz.

I have seen some people doing great with Custom Resolution Utility with the Extension block editing, but I'm interested if even if that, adding Freesync, would work, would the AMD VRR work with Nvidia GTX card over HDMI and the monitor itself. Or would it be maybe wise to somehow bios flash on some Freesync capable screen on this display? (Or would that be almost the same thing?)

I understand that this is borderline if not definitely overclocking my panel, and also that I would be doing this on my own risk but interested what and how you would give it a shot!

Thanks for your feedback!

you can try updating the firmware of the monitor and use the tool you mentioned. Its not overclocking or anything like this, it just specifies that your monitor can use it, if VRR is implemented in the HDMI port. If not, it just won´t work.
set adaptive sync / gsync compatible in the geforce driver