Question Apex Legends using too much VRAM, causing painful studders ?

JupiterJack

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello everyone, I'm currently using a Gigabyte GTX1650 Super, and recently I got into Apex Legends.
My graphics card defaulted to High texture settings, in-game saying that it would only use 3-4GB of VRAM, which is ideal, since the 1650 Super has 4GB GDDR6.
I noticed extremely bad frame times and constant studders when I was near an enemy. After a few games, I opened MSI Afterburner to see the game consuming all 4GB of VRAM, So I turned the settings down.

On Very Low, which the game claimed to have a maximum usage of 2GB VRAM, it was again consuming all 4GB of VRAM, causing bad frame times and studders when near enemies.
Apex Legends has a texture setting for "No Texture Streaming Budget" which basically makes the game look like its made out of clay.
It doesn't lag on these settings, only using 1800MB of VRAM, maxing out around 1900MB, I should also say this is with every single setting, other then Textures, maxed out.

I was wondering why this is. My card should, and can, happily run 90+FPS on High settings, but there is abnormally high VRAM usage with the game. Even if I was able to just get the game to run fine on Very Low, which should only use 2GB VRAM, I'd be happy.
I am hoping someone would be able to help me out. The big update that happened today has not fixed anything.
The issue only pertains to Apex Legends, all other games use VRAM correctly.
Thanks!
-----
Specs -
Win11 (Insider) - Build 22543
Gigabyte GTX1650 Super
i7 9700k
ASUS Z390-P
32GB DDR4 2133, 2x 8GB GSkill Ripjaw, 2x8GB Corsair Select. (The RAM works fine)
ThermalTake Smart 500w 80+ White
1TB Samsung 970EVO

Last edited: