Apple Will Not Confirm or Deny Malware Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
It's not the malware itself that bothers me. Yes, people make devious software and it's bad. It's the way Apple tries to handle things by keeping it quiet and avoiding the issue. I wish they would confront it head on, publicly denounce Mac Defender so that people are aware of the malware, and have a plan for removing bad software like any other repair shop. I know Apple would like to only deal with 1st party software, it's much easier and you can train your 'geniuses' in a simple by-the-book fashion. But as macs start getting more market share they'll start getting more 3rd party problems.

G

DON'T HELP THOSE POOR INFECTED FOOLS, WHO WERE TRICKED INTO BELEVING THEY WERE INVULNERABLE TO VIRUSES BY HAVING MAC, JUST TELL THEM TO BUY MORE OF OUR PRODUCTS.

Jesus... Apple, you really have NO concern for your consumers outside of taking their money - do you?

G

Wow.

Apple doesn't give a **** about their consumers. Don't help them remove their virus, just keep them in the dark and tell them to buy more products.

Supporting Apple is supporting this kind of management and control.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Imperade12[/nom]Don't help them remove their virus[/citation]
Has Microsoft, Dell or HP ever "officially" helped a customer remove a virus? Do you ask Western Digital or Seagate for help in removing the nasties on the hard drive that they sold you? This is outside of the scope of vendor support. End user tech support is meant to deal with this (you know, Geek Squad). Apple's response to this malware is simply in line with their support policy, which in this case is much the same as any other vendor's policy.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Has Microsoft, Dell or HP ever "officially" helped a customer remove a virus? Do you ask Western Digital or Seagate for help in removing the nasties on the hard drive that they sold you? This is outside of the scope of vendor support. End user tech support is meant to deal with this (you know, Geek Squad). Apple's response to this malware is simply in line with their support policy, which in this case is much the same as any other vendor's policy.[/citation]

Read the second half of the article's link to the Apple bulletin, and find out. :)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/apple-to-support-reps-do-not-attempt-to-remove-malware/3362

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Has Microsoft, Dell or HP ever "officially" helped a customer remove a virus? Do you ask Western Digital or Seagate for help in removing the nasties on the hard drive that they sold you? This is outside of the scope of vendor support. End user tech support is meant to deal with this (you know, Geek Squad). Apple's response to this malware is simply in line with their support policy, which in this case is much the same as any other vendor's policy.[/citation]

Well Microsoft sure helps against most malware with their Security Essentials that by the way is free, thats customer care. They also don't try to pretend their os is impervious to attacks by keeping silent when a new threat surfaces.

Keeping silent and bury the head in the sand while the users is in the miss conception that the os is safe is not the way to "support" the user base during a wave of malware. A company that cared about its users would handle it differently!

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
LOLOLOLOL

THis is beautiful. WE've been saying for years that this is EXACTLY what will happen - no immunity in the population = rampant spread of infection. And lo and behold, it happened exactly how everyone with a brain bredicted it would. Apple is a joke. /pity for Apple zealots.

Posting from work, so need this disclaimer:
"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Microsoft has its own 1-800 hotline dedicated to Malware removal, and the memo specifically told tech support to not redirect customers to Apple Retail (AKA The "Geniuses").

jaghpanther

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Well Microsoft sure helps against most malware with their Security Essentials that by the way is free, thats customer care. They also don't try to pretend their os is impervious to attacks by keeping silent when a new threat surfaces.Keeping silent and bury the head in the sand while the users is in the miss conception that the os is safe is not the way to "support" the user base during a wave of malware. A company that cared about its users would handle it differently![/citation]

That, plus my wife clicked on something she shouldn't have with her Dell, and called customer support. They took remote control of the desktop and removed offending mal-ware, and then recommended several free versions of anit-virus, as the Mcaffee license had expired.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
What is the requirement for Tech Support at an AppleCare phone bank?

"Try rebooting your Mac. If that doesn't work, format/reinstall your MacOS and don't be a dumbass next time. While we have you on the line, would you like to buy an iPhone?"

Did I miss anything?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
"The reason for the rule, they say, is that even though Mac Defender is easy to remove, we can’t set the expectation to customers that we will be able to remove all malware in the future. That’s what antivirus is for."

Well said. :)

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

You are correct sir the only problem is that Apple Doesnt really have software avail. to combat this type of attack becuase there denying that its possible still.. ohh and to actually be able to fix apple product you have to be certified to work on apples.. which means you have to follow there policies and procedures.. And FYI you can pay dell or any major computer vendor to assist you with removing a virus or malware apple on the other hand is not even offering any support so how is that even close to the same

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
There's probably a good reason why Apple is denying this and they involve two little words:

False Advertising

which would then lead to potentially 3 more little words;

Class Action Lawsuit

servarus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
[citation][nom]jaghpanther[/nom]That, plus my wife clicked on something she shouldn't have with her Dell, and called customer support. They took remote control of the desktop and removed offending mal-ware, and then recommended several free versions of anit-virus, as the Mcaffee license had expired.[/citation]My mum did that once. Better than Apple, no?

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Yes! I win! I just won a bet where I said that Macs would start getting mass attacks before 2015!

On a more serious note, poor poor Apple... Welcome to the real world Mac peeps, where viruses and any type of bad -ware you can think of are rampant. You will receive your brochure on "How to live with Mass Attacks" and its companion book, "Mac V PC: The Real Truth"

Status
Not open for further replies.