[SOLVED] APU rig advice that's upgradable in near future

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hello,

I intend to build myself a rig without a GPU for light gaming now. The best apu I could get is Ryzen 3400G as far as I know. I would like to pair that apu with the best budget RAM fast enough to boost Vega 11 graphics. I heard that max I could get is 3000 or 3200 MHZ due to the APU's support limit is that true ? I am not sure of CL timings benefit for gaming

I also would like to get the best mobo that is not overkill as well. I will be using stock cooler.

In Several months later, I will be thinking of selling my APU and then get eight core Ryzen with an RTX gpu. So what PSU should I get for that APU build ?

My other option is, if I cant have enough time nor money, I would like to keep my APU so, would there be a bottleneck when I pair 3400g with RTX 2060 ? I won't go beyond 1080p60hz. I just want to get RTX because of dlss 2.0. RTX 30 series are so expensive where I live and has very big problem of blackmarket and shortage on stocks.

In short:

What is the best budget APU rig build that can be upgraded in future only by replacing CPU and adding GPU ? I am not in a rush so if there's going to be better APU release like better than Vega 11 or the same iGPU with better cores and threads, I can wait a month if that's the case and worth it.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you for your reply, you mean 4750g can match 2060 comparable RTX 3000 series right ? 4750g is only available as a tray version here in my country. And its too expensive due to stock problems again. And I found that it has Vega 8 instead of 11 so would that be a huge difference ? If it is compared light gaming with 3400g ?
Although it's IGPU is not greatest, 4750g can do some light gaming but it's CPU is good enough to work fine with something like RTX 2060/ 3060 until next generation. Don't worry about lack of OEM cooler, APUs are usually hotter than straight CPUs and Ryzen being dependent on temperatures for best performance is better off with aftermarket cooler.
Up to and including gaming at 1080p, CPU is one that does...
Hello,

I intend to build myself a rig without a GPU for light gaming now. The best apu I could get is Ryzen 3400G as far as I know. I would like to pair that apu with the best budget RAM fast enough to boost Vega 11 graphics. I heard that max I could get is 3000 or 3200 MHZ due to the APU's support limit is that true ? I am not sure of CL timings benefit for gaming

I also would like to get the best mobo that is not overkill as well. I will be using stock cooler.

In Several months later, I will be thinking of selling my APU and then get eight core Ryzen with an RTX gpu. So what PSU should I get for that APU build ?

My other option is, if I cant have enough time nor money, I would like to keep my APU so, would there be a bottleneck when I pair 3400g with RTX 2060 ? I won't go beyond 1080p60hz. I just want to get RTX because of dlss 2.0. RTX 30 series are so expensive where I live and has very big problem of blackmarket and shortage on stocks.

In short:

What is the best budget APU rig build that can be upgraded in future only by replacing CPU and adding GPU ? I am not in a rush so if there's going to be better APU release like better than Vega 11 or the same iGPU with better cores and threads, I can wait a month if that's the case and worth it.

Thank you
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750g with CPU that can match and play well with your planned RTX 2060 and comparable RTX 3000 series while still having decent performance as an APU so you wouldn't have to change it soon. Better APU graphics are not expected until next AMD processors outside of AM4 socket. Probably in couple of years from now, until they milk this Ryzen cow to death.

Reactions: Vulmaro

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-pro-4750g with CPU that can match and play well with your planned RTX 2060 and comparable RTX 3000 series while still having decent performance as an APU so you wouldn't have to change it soon. Better APU graphics are not expected until next AMD processors outside of AM4 socket. Probably in couple of years from now, until they milk this Ryzen cow to death.
Thank you for your reply, you mean 4750g can match 2060 comparable RTX 3000 series right ? 4750g is only available as a tray version here in my country. And its too expensive due to stock problems again. And I found that it has Vega 8 instead of 11 so would that be a huge difference ? If it is compared light gaming with 3400g ?

Although it's IGPU is not greatest, 4750g can do some light gaming but it's CPU is good enough to work fine with something like RTX 2060/ 3060 until next generation. Don't worry about lack of OEM cooler, APUs are usually hotter than straight CPUs and Ryzen being dependent on temperatures for best performance is better off with aftermarket cooler.
Up to and including gaming at 1080p, CPU is one that does most work.

Solution
It won't "match" the 2060 in performance if that's what you mean. It'll work with the 2060 well when you add the 2060 to the build

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Thank you for helping me, did you just post that vid after I picked your reply as the best answer, or was it just a coincidence that you and I came here to my post at the same ? :D