Question Are these two types of ram the same?

nexroid

Reputable
Mar 30, 2016
Hi everyone, I have recently decided to add a little bit more ram to my pc. My current PC has 1 stick of CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 (8gb ddr3 1600mhz i think) but the problem is I bought the motherboard and ram as a combo and I think the ram that was used was part of a 2 stick of ram combo. I was just wondering if I bought CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 (8gb ddr3 1600mhz) they would be compatible. I dont see why they wouldnt but I just want to double check before I buy anything!
Thanks,
Lucas.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
They are not technically the same.

As for compatibility, there is only 1 way to find out. No one here will be able to tell you if they work together, because it is a 50/50 bet. Mixed RAM modules are only guaranteed compatibility in the form sold (from the same pack). Even if you bought the exact same model from 2 different packs, you can't be sure they will work together, as the manufacturing process of the modules changes frequently - so whilst the RAM modules may share the same model number, they may actually be manufactured differently.

Only way you'll know if they work together is by trying it yourself. As I said, it's a 50/50 bet really.