Question Asrock Z590 Pro4 Motherboard Help - DRAM and CPU lights on.

Dec 3, 2021
So, i've just built my PC and i'm facing a few issues.

The PC boots from a 120gb Kingston SSD (windows drive) but i've also got a WD 1TB drive and a 1TB KINGSTON A2000 installed.
The CPU is an i5 11600K
The RAM is 2x8 KINGSTON FURY Renegade Black, DDR4 3200MHz
The PSU is a new Antec HCG750

Issue 1: CPU and DRAM warning LED is on when the pc powers off and is unplugged.

Issue 2: When i shut it down it wont re-boot. I assume i've connected the power button incorrectly. I have to unplug the pc and hold the power button down to power it down, then the DRAM and CPU LEDs turn on.
If looking at the manual (it can be found here https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z590 Pro4/index.asp#Manual ), i've connected the power button and the LED's to the connector number 17, top row of pins. I have a BeQuiet Pure Base 500 if relevant.

Issue 3: the color LEDs on the MOBO are constantly on even when the pc shuts down, so that kind of confirms (?) i've connected a power cable wrong, like the MOBO is getting power constantly? I've turned them off in BIOS, dont know if they're supposed to be on constantly.

Things i've tried: I've tried re-seating RAM and it does turn the warning LEDs off - but after a boot and shutdown, the CPU and DRAM leds are back on. Tried loosening and tightening the CPU cooler and its not helping. I've replaced the CMOS battery, updated BIO to the newest version and changed xmp profile of the ram to the correct one.

I'm really stumped because when i boot the pc, it works fine, it posts, goes to windows etc., i just dont understand why the lights are on when unplugged and why i cant turn it back on when it shut it down.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and breadboard the system with the bare minimum of components, meaning one stick of ram, only boot drive and the processor. The processor you have has an iGPU so you can work off of that. Also, how are you cooling that processor? While breadboarded, use a screw driver to see if you can power the system backup after a successful shutdown. Also, what version of Windows 10 are you working with(assuming you're not on Windows 11)?

No discrete GPU in the build? Since you're able to POST/get to OS GUI, what BIOS version are you working with?

Dec 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and breadboard the system with the bare minimum of components, meaning one stick of ram, only boot drive and the processor. The processor you have has an iGPU so you can work off of that. Also, how are you cooling that processor? While breadboarded, use a screw driver to see if you can power the system backup after a successful shutdown. Also, what version of Windows 10 are you working with(assuming you're not on Windows 11)?

No discrete GPU in the build? Since you're able to POST/get to OS GUI, what BIOS version are you working with?
so i've breadboarded it and it looks like its due to the GPU, i've transplanted a Gigabyte GTX970 into the new pc, since well, gpu prices haha The GPU has a 8+6 pin power connectors if its important. I tried powering it with a single cable (with two plugs), and with two cables and it still happens. So i'm thinking the GPU is prioritizing powering itself from the mobo? since when it was unplugged from the PSU it still spun up as if it was still connected. if thats possible?

i'm currently installing new windows 10 on the 120gb ssd and will re-connecting the gpu after that

update: installed windows fresh, everything seemed fine. But my PC just randomly shut down by itself, thats without the GPU. I think the cpu overheated, but i realized it wasnt tightened fully, so now it should be okay.

One question though, my mobo has an ATX12v1 and ATX12v2 ports, i only have 1 plugged in, should i plug in the 2 as well?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
So yeah, it looks like its due to the GPU. whenever its plugged in, the first start up is okay and it boots to windows. When i shut the pc down and try to start it back up, the system doesnt respond. My LED on the power button on the case stays lit up and pressing the button doesnt do anything. Then i have to flip the switch on the PSU, hold the power on the case until everything turns off, then the DRAM and CPU warning lights turn on, But those shut off whenever i unplug the display cable from the GPU.

When the GPU isnt in the system, i get no warning lights, i can shut down and start the system back up, i boot to windows normally, the LED on the case power button turns off, as it should.

I've tried powering the gpu with both a single and two cables, to see if it changes and no change. Could the integrated gpu in the CPU be causing this and i should disable it (if possible) in bios? Could it be like, a power draw from the display cable? I'm really stumped here.