Assassin's Creed II for PC Locked Down by DRM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I know piracy's a problem, but this just hassles us honest customers who fork over our hard-earned cash. I was looking forward to this game, but now, no dice.

G

so what they are telling me is that the only people who will be able to play the game without being online are the pirates. nothing pisses me off more than owning a product I would have been better off stealing.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]fragzillaprime[/nom]so what they are telling me is that the only people who will be able to play the game without being online are the pirates. nothing pisses me off more than owning a product I would have been better off stealing.[/citation]

Exactly. I see less and less reason to play by the rules anymore.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
was going to buy this. won't now.
sure im not the only one.

the only people this will annoy are the genuine buyers. the pirates will still be able to play the game, without a net connection. surely they realize this?

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]that_aznpride101[/nom]don't blame the company, blame the freakin' pirates who make PC gamers' lives miserable[/citation]

Yeah but dude, there's better ways of doing this. The pirates will still win because some genius will make a crack for it, while the rest of us get to suffer if our internet cuts out, or our wireless goes on the fritz. Because of this, they're not going to see a red cent from me. Instead, I'll spend my money elsewhere.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
This sucks, I was going to buy this game even if I finished it on 360. But when I've read that it wil lbe in DirectX 9 I changed my mind. Now this, I'm just laughing right now. Who would buy this seriously ? There are no reason to buy it on PC since there is nothing different from 360-PS3. ACtually, yes there is something different : You don't need to be hooked on the internet to play the game ! Nice try Ubisoft on trying to make money on PC gamers, but you should have released the PC version at the same time as the console's versions. Maybe in that case we'd have bought it, but now ? Seriously ? Make my 1.5k build feels useless. WE CAN TAKE HARDCORE GRAPHICS !!! I hope Assassin's creed 3 will be direct X 11 and no bullcrap like this news. ( Great game btw :p )

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
LOL!!!

Looks like this game will work the best WHEN PIRATED. So guess what? No money for you!

FAIL: Ubisoft

PS: If you really think this DRM will work, Ubisoft, you are mistaken.

macclearly

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
In retaliation for this outrageous DRM scheme I am going to kill one puppy a day until ubisoft caves. Not just any puppies either but cute little golden labs like the ones on Marley and Me. So here me now ubi and think of the puppies. Watch for the video on youtube.

herniter

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
As a soldier and gamer that has spent 2 of the last 4 years of my life in Iraq I'm getting quite pissed off with games like this and MW2 which required me to download an impossibly big 4GB file on Steam with a 15KBps internet connection in order to play. While I understand how much money they lose due to pirates they're going to start to lose the mobile gaming audiences as well.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Lol. See if this was a great game such as Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 or hell Diablo III I would still eat it up. But Assassin's Creed II? I'd rather pass straight to jail, do not collect Go.

Discussing the pro's and cons of DRM is one thing but if people keep on making suggestions that the game should be pirated or cracked or obtained illegally they may find themselves being banned for violating the forum rules.

For those who are unaware of these rules go here and have a read.

tuxedojacob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
All right - in hopes the gaming companies gets it through their heads this time: DRM is only hurting your paying customers. It does absolutely nothing to stop pirates. I learned my lesson with, I will never buy a game with this kind of DRM again, I would rather stop playing PC games altogether.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Won't be a problem for me now, as that DRM is enough to make me avoid the game completely. Which sucks, as it looked like it might be an interesting game.

It isn't the pirates, its the company for not realizing that DRM is completely broken and a waste. Of course, if game company's would realize that truly loyal PC customers will buy the game to support the company. It would also be nice if companies realize that to gain PC customer loyalty they need to make good games to keep us loyal (not horrible console ports).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Great, UBIsoft should have learned that any protection gets beaten fast and their legit customers are the ONLY ones that suffer from it but maby they dont care about them at all... with this it seems that way!

rasheeq

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
GREAT!!!!!! 1st they take the release date from november to 16th march,then they decide to bring it in only cx9,n now this...and i was actually a fan of ubisoft!! way to go!!!!!!!!

what about ppl like us who do not have an active net connection 24/7?? dont we have the right to play games?? this is "digital racism" at the very least :|

G

wtf?
what if im up at my cottage for the summer and want to play some games?
internet doesnt stretch that far....
gayed

thomaseron

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Lower the prices with $10, €10, and more people will probably buy the game, instead of putting DRMs and higher prices to compensate...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I believe such a system has potential, but the flaws are too strong for now.
For example, my ISP is horrible and my connection would drop every hour (not as bad now, but it was awful trying to play a MMO).
Also, what's stopping me from borrowing a friends game and playing? I work a night shift, they do the day, so we would be on at different hours, allowing us to do this, all with a legit copy...

Keep trying Ubisoft...

FenrirXIII

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
My PC's internet connection goes out all the time because of an older router. I can't update it because it's not mine. I live with my brother-in-law and sister. Like someone else said, it pisses me off that they expect me to pay for something I'd be better off stealing(with a few tweaks to get around the DRM).

It's all good, though. Another sale killed here, ubi. Reservation canceled.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]mousemonkey[/nom]Discussing the pro's and cons of DRM is one thing but if people keep on making suggestions that the game should be pirated or cracked or obtained illegally they may find themselves being banned for violating the forum rules.For those who are unaware of these rules go here and have a read.[/citation]
What about people like me?
I bought Mass Effect (the original) for the 360 (because it was too buggy for PC), but eventually got it for my PC (through a torrent, of course), but view themselves as legit players still because they still payed for the damned thing? I also have a half dozen games I lost CD-keys for (I bought Diablo 2 three times because I kept losing my key). Cracks do have their legitimate place. If I were to buy AC2 for PC, I'd still crack it. However, I won't, because the game isn't good enough to deal with the companies BS.
Ban me if they will, but I bet the BoM staff agrees with many of the views expressed in the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.