Asus EN8800GT ... mine looks nothing like the pictures online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

doublehats

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I can not see or change the fan speed. same with temperature. I feel the same as you user555. I am happy with the glacier fan but the no temp reading makes me concerned.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I just ordered an Asus 8800 GT, but already have a Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 cooler for it...

not sure if my GT has old or new cooler yet... should be here in the morning :)

if the new cooler, I wouldn't want to run it without RAM heat sinks though...

will let you know if its the new one if my Temp sensor works ;)

4WD

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I have spoken to Asus Support again. They told me that it is a nVidia driver problem :??: and there is no facility to get informations about the temp in the next time. A Thermal Sensor is certainly on the card!

I think that the dude at the Hotline told a lot of rubbish.

Sorry for my bad english :)

regards from germany :hello:

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
4WD I really, really appreciate that information if it's true. I was thinking of possible driver issues because Asus would make a laughing stock of themselves if they forgot or didn't include a fan and sensor monitor with a top end model like the 8800GT and yet have it on all their lower models!! That sounds more believable than Asus just forgot or something like that.

I rang my retailer and they said that someone had returned the card because of this. I feel sorry for them even if it's not the drivers because the cooler is one of the much better ones and you will want a very good cooler on this card.

I'm sure that we'll get this issue sorted out in time. The card's just been released, especially the new cooler so we have to give them a bit of a chance to get the issues sorted out. Still think I got more than my money's worth.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
hehee =)

my Asus 8800GT just arrived ^__^

has the new cooler - looks great!

seems almost a shame to swap it out for the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 I also bought.

ahh..... :(

just noticed the S1 cooler (Arctic site says fits 8800GT) is going to be a problem to fit to the Asus...

The supplied voltage regulator HS is in no way going to fit on this card - are components where the installation pics show screw holes are meant to be + the extra components are too high to allow it to just be stuck in place...

AND, to make matters worse, the great looking Asus V.reg HS is too high to let me fit the S1 - though I think if I butcher the cooling fins on the S1 above the Asus V.reg HS I think I can make it fit :)

always knew I'd need one of those Dremel thingies one day :sarcastic:

Also the supplied S1 RAM sinks (not very high) will not fit under the Asus GPU fan...

So for now a test run as is...

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
hmm... I hiope you are right bout it just being a driver issue...

my Asus 8800GT with the new cooler also has no temp readings...

I used the default driver from the Installation CD this time.

Maybe the one from NVidia's site works with the temp sensor...?
as Asus's own progies seem to have no temp readings - maybe why they left it out of their own driver...?

may try later after a play :)

Mayor McCheese

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007

The ASUS voltage regulator heatsink won't fit under the S1, and the one included with the S1 is designed for the ATI X1900 series. I had used some Zalman heatsinks on the ram and used the two extra sticky pads included with those to stick some of the S1's included heatsinks to the voltage regulators. Works like a champ.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
ah yes, you are right - no supplied HS for the 8800 series at all.

am about to cut up my S1 today and Make it fit with the Asus V.reg HS !

Has anyone heard of a potential fix for the temp read outs from Asus's 8800GT yet....?

I had a little search last night and found nothing really helpful, basically:

wasn't driver issue

or

BIOS (according ot someone who had a look at the BIOS - but who knows his tech lvl)

and

Asus don't know the cause yet...

Would love to hear some helpful news :)

4WD

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
It looks that on the EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP/512M (the OC Version) it is possible to read out the temps.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
If there's no temp sensor on the card then the fan MUST be set at 100% otherwise they must release a bios or driver update to be able to change the fan speeds. I can't see how the fan speeds would be set at 29% to be elevated when the card reaches 70 degrees if there was no temp sensor to know when the card had reached 70 degrees. (as was suggested at another forum)

The wost scenario would be that it is an engineering fault and in that case Asus would have to issue an RMA or recall. I just want to be sure in that case that I get a new product as I haven't even taken my card out of it's packing yet.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
My reply from Asus:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Support Department .
As to the question you consulted:
Please help us confirm whether BIOS and latest Smartdoc
(you can download at:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5081.zip)
can read the card's temperature or not.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused you.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008

What's the use in this? Would I have contacted Asus if the latest updates worked? Don't they check their own products to verify that they do work with their own PC's? If they got a hold of the new model and installed it in one of their own PC's they could find out for themselves.Apparently they haven't checked it out themselves so that's why we're getting stupid replies like 'have we installed the latest bios and Smartdoc'?

How long is it going to take Asus to wake up?

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I wish it were that simple. Without a temp sensor the fans won't speed up during 3D games which will overheat and damage the card. Unless there is a way to be able to adjust the fan speeds for intensive games the card will burn out in no time so it's not safe to do anything with these cards except surf the net until the fan adjustments work.

The only one advantage is the larger cooler which may help keep it cooler than a normal 8800GT.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Anyone in the mood for some GOOD NEWS???

Latest reply from Asus today:

Dear Valued Customer,
I have contact our RD engineer.
This card is adopted special thermal senser, we will release a new version of Smartdoctor in this 2 or 3 days, which can read the temperature of this card.
Would you please wait for a couple of days?
Apologise for all the inconvenience caused you.
It would be wonderful if the above information can help you.For any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.
Best wish you have a great Merry X'mas and a wonderful Happy New Year 2008!

Let's hope this is true

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
That sounds Great news ^^

I have an S1 Accelero and wanted to get some B4 and after temps before I fit it etc... then OC and be able to keep an eye on things

Apparently this card uses a new PCB whereas the others are all the reference design and does of course have a temp sensor as just confirmed by user555's Asus response.

Would be better if there was a BIOS update fixing it so all progies can see the temp rather than jut their own Smart Doc
But a reading anywhere is good :)

Any of you guys having probs with the "Gamer OSD" thing?
I can't get it up in games at all and in windows I just get an unframed web like "Page cannot be displayed" when I try to start it... ??

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

That's not true. Some companies release cards with 512MB DDR2 instead of 256 GDDR2 or GDDR3 because it's cheaper and people think it'll run better because it has more memory, but the end result is that it's slower because it's regular DDR2, not GDDR2.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Apparently Asus in the specs for all their cards list DDR3 under 'video memory' which I'm sure they mean GDDR. It's just the way they state it but they mean the same thing. Even their TOP model is listed as having 'DDR 3' 'Video memory which is GDDR3 as the G means 'Graphics'.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Latest update:

For this card use specal sensor, please use lastest SmartDoc to V5.084 to see the temperature.Download link:
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/vga/app/SmartDoc5084.zip
(It is already uploaded, while may be need 2 or 3 days to sync)
As to the fan control issue, please refer to the attached 2 pictures and help us confirm which one model is yours?
If it is the first one, please try to adjust fan speed with SmartDoc.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I opened an account at filebucket but it wouldn't let me upload the zip file unless it contained only graphic files so I'm sorry about that.

You'll have to just keep trying or wait until it appears on the Asus site.

user555

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Any feedback? Are you getting temp readings and can you adjust your fans yet? Please let me know either way so I can inform Asus. My card's not installed yet so I can't give Asus any feedback unless someone here let's me know if it works now.

Cubez

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
Thanks to your help user555 my panic is finally over!! Got temp readings but still no fan control at all, my card is the revised one with the goldish cooler