Question Asus gtx 980 Matrix platinum, screen goes off when installing drivers and wont turn back on unless i reboot in safe mode

wandercubilete

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
hello my friends,

i have a problem with my Asus gtx 980 Matrix platinum

I had a GTX 980 founders edition a couple on months ago, and recently i got the Asus gtx 980 Matrix platinum, when i try to install any version of NVidia drivers, in the middle of the installation the screen goes off but the computer remains on (i can tell because i played a youtube video just to be sure and it keeps playing when the screen is off). I have tried everything, different HDMI cables, different monitors, DVI cable, reinstalled windows 10, i tried without windows updates, then updated windows, installed windows 11, no matter what i do, this happens over and over, tried erasing drivers with DDU in safe mode, installing drivers in safe mode works but when i reboot in normal mode, the screen goes off right after windows loads and i hear the sound when it gets to the sign in screen, i have searched a lot or solutions and i have tried them all but non of them work for me.

Any idea what could be going on?

CPU i7 3770
16gb dual channel crucial ddr3
motherboard Asus p8h61-m LX2
PSU EVGA 600w 80plus gold (age, 2 years)

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and work with a PSU that has at least 650W of power to the entire system(that is fairly new, 2 years isn't fairly new, it's old) and see if you see the same issue crop up. As for the GPU, you could try and drop it into a donor system that has a reliably built PSU in the system(at a friend or neighbors house) and see if the issue persists there. You could try and take GPU-Z and see if the GPU's specs seem off to you. I'm leaning towards the card being faulty and beyond recovery/repair.

At this point of time any GPU of that era will have been used for mining and is beyond recovery(and is a waste of resources).

Side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

wandercubilete

Reputable
Dec 14, 2017
You could try and work with a PSU that has at least 650W of power to the entire system(that is fairly new, 2 years isn't fairly new, it's old) and see if you see the same issue crop up. As for the GPU, you could try and drop it into a donor system that has a reliably built PSU in the system(at a friend or neighbors house) and see if the issue persists there. You could try and take GPU-Z and see if the GPU's specs seem off to you. I'm leaning towards the card being faulty and beyond recovery/repair.

At this point of time any GPU of that era will have been used for mining and is beyond recovery(and is a waste of resources).

Side note, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

Hello friend

Thank you for your answer, I ordered a 750W evga 80plus gold and its supposed to arrive in 3 days, im going to test with that PSU, BIOS version on mobo is the 0605 (latest for that model), i really hope the problem is the PSU :( and i found out the age is 3 years not 2

Oct 10, 2021
Here is something to try, press the windows key + p at the same time then just press p. You might need to do it a couple of times but see if you get video after that.

I am having a very similar issue, turned on the PC and as soon as it gets into windows I get a black screen. My first thought was drivers so I went into safe mode (which worked fine) and downloaded a new set of drivers and rebooted. It didn't solve the issue and still had the black screen on startup. During one of my restarts in trying to find the issue I did what I posted above and boom the picture came on. What is happening is for some odd reason windows is trying run duel displays and it is trying to display on the monitor that is not there. In the display setting and Nvidia control panel it shows two monitors. My MSI monitor as one and a digital display as the other. So windows boots using this digital display and if you change the setting to either duplicate or extend the screen it works fine.

The issue I have now is it wont keep any of these settings so if I reboot I get the same issue all over again and have to change the display settings. And for some reason there is no option to remove the digital display from the settings (I know where it would be but it is not there). I have not come up with a solution for this yet but maybe this information will help others who are getting the black screen on windows.

I am not sure if it is an issue with older cards, I am running a GTX 970. However I have the same card in my daughters computer and there has been no issue with it yet.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/drkrach/dualscreen.png Here is a picture, however it had a watermark when I inserted it into the post so maybe the URL will work better.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS