Question ASUS Hero VI - Won't post after BIOS save.

Feb 20, 2020
Man I really hope you guys can lend a helping hand.

I've been trying out Linux on my main machine, dual booting to another drive. Because of this I had made some changes in the bios, one of them being disable "fast boot". Yesterday I decided to turn it back on (its always been enabled before), exit bios with save (the screen confirmed it was the only change), system rebooted, never to start again.

It powers on but screen is blank, and its clearly not loading windows either.

The display on the motherboard shows different numbers on reboot, but gets "stuck" on 71. According to the manual 71 is 2PCH DXE SMM initialization is started".

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/E8459_Maximus_VI_Hero.pdf

I've tried the following ...

• Powering system off/disconnect.
  • Using jumpers to clear RTC Ram + removing battery.
  • Disconnected drives, GPU and Ram sticks.
None of it has made any difference :(

I hope ya'll can help, cause I'm broke af.

-Cheers :)

Quoted from a thread from 2012:

DXE = Driver Execution Environments, once system RAM is initialized and the PEI phase completes, the DXE environment is entered. The Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Some northbridge functions, the memory controller and PCI-e lanes, were integrated into the CPU while the PCH took over the remaining functions in addition to the traditional roles of the southbridge.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25002-Code-76-pch-dxe-initialization

Reactions: adverk
Feb 20, 2020
Quoted from a thread from 2012:

DXE = Driver Execution Environments, once system RAM is initialized and the PEI phase completes, the DXE environment is entered. The Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Some northbridge functions, the memory controller and PCI-e lanes, were integrated into the CPU while the PCH took over the remaining functions in addition to the traditional roles of the southbridge.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25002-Code-76-pch-dxe-initialization

Thanks for the reply Extreme.

The post seems to suggest taking out different components in order to get it to start, but I've pretty much done that already.
So far, the only part that hasn't been removed (or shuffled) is the CPU. Even with a single ram stick (tried different is varying slots) and no drives etc., I'm still getting the same error.

Thanks for the reply Extreme.

The post seems to suggest taking out different components in order to get it to start, but I've pretty much done that already.
So far, the only part that hasn't been removed (or shuffled) is the CPU. Even with a single ram stick (tried different is varying slots) and no drives etc., I'm still getting the same error.
Not sure then. I guess you can try bios flashback?

Feb 20, 2020
Man, I didn't consider something like that would be possible. Looking at the card, it does seem to support it. The .cap file need to be renamed with a bundled app, but I don't have access to a PC tonight. Will make the flash drive at work tomorrow and try it first thing once I get home.

If this works, I may have to kiss you.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Feb 20, 2020
So, I tried it today but no luck.
When I press the flashback button and hold it in it starts blinking after the 3 secs, but then just shows a continuous light. According to Asus ...

If the LED blinks for 5 seconds and then turns solid, your BIOS update has failed. This may be caused by improper installation on your USB storage device, or the BIOS file may have an incorrect name/format.

I'm following the guide they provide https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/, using the renamer tool to get the right name. So far I've ...

• Tried different USB locations (apart from the white, which should be the correct one).
  • Formatted drive as Fat16 and 32.
  • Two different versions of the BIOS (cap file).
  • Two different USB Sticks.
I'm placing the file at root, with no other folders to confuse. So far no luck :(

So, I tried it today but no luck.
When I press the flashback button and hold it in it starts blinking after the 3 secs, but then just shows a continuous light. According to Asus ...

I'm following the guide they provide https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/, using the renamer tool to get the right name. So far I've ...

• Tried different USB locations (apart from the white, which should be the correct one).
  • Formatted drive as Fat16 and 32.
  • Two different versions of the BIOS (cap file).
  • Two different USB Sticks.
I'm placing the file at root, with no other folders to confuse. So far no luck :(
Honestly Im suspecting a faulty motherboard.

Feb 20, 2020
It could very well be, its just strange. Never seen a machine crash and burn like this just by saving bios and restarting.

I'm on my way to the shop to buy a cheap usb 2.0 stick to see if it helps. The two/three drivers I tested was an old 1gb IShuffle stick and the other(s) a flash converter with either 128gb and 4gb microsd (formatted to 4gb). Used the 128gb card + converter for many OS installs w/o problems, but its worth a shot.

Reactions: extreme_noob
Feb 20, 2020
Bought the stick, but it didn't help. It's almost as if it doesn't find anything on the usb stick (lights up in the same way when no stick is present), but I can't see how I could do things differently.