Question Asus M32CD-AS51 [VivoPC Tower] -- front hub SATA wiring to motherboard. USB doesn’t work.

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
Hey everyone. Seems like everytime I have a question google points me to this forum. I’ve searched everywhere and cannot find my answer. I have an Asus M32CD-AS51 [VivoPC Tower]. Motherboard number is in the picture. My front hub has 2 USBs that don’t work. I’ve done USB hub uninstall and reinstall for the driver updates. I’ve done all the other testing for allowing the BIOS to use them. Done a lot of testing and still nothing. All the rear USBs work. The audio and mic port on the front hub also works. I don’t know if Power is coming out of the motherboard at the 4 pin usb power header. If I knew how to test that I would, any help would be appreciated.

I figured I could try to find the correct SATA routing because maybe that would affect them too. I have the AAFP and USB-PWR1 headers installed. I do know that SATA 6G _1 is for my boot drive SSD and 6G_2 is for my HHD. 6G_3 would be for my DVD drive? And I would imagine the USB2_1/2 and USB 3_1/2 would be attached to my front hub, but have no idea how the SATA port colors of the motherboard and the colors of the front hub match(if they are supposed to) or how the SATAs are supposed to be connected. If I can’t figured it out or the front hub is indeed bad, I’ll just install a mini PCIEx1 to USB3.0 adapter and run them out the back. Thanks to anyone who can help! I also don’t know what the white 5 pin connector is..

nWHk9Xl.jpg

xU48jw8.jpg

Last edited:

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
I reseated the connector many times throughout testing. I tested resistance through each wire and there’s continuity, so no opens. I’m not sure if I have them connected the wrong way as I don’t have a manual. I was hoping someone here could know that. I also don’t want to mess anything up by switching the connectors

I reseated the connector many times throughout testing. I tested resistance through each wire and there’s continuity, so no opens. I’m not sure if I have them connected the wrong way as I don’t have a manual. I was hoping someone here could know that. I also don’t want to mess anything up by switching the connectors
I couldn't find a manual either that had any details (user's guide sucks and is designed for dummies).

Usb cables usually only have 9 pins to connect and have one pin blocked off from a 10-pin connector to do so. But if this pin isn't blocked, you can plug it in backwards and it won't work.

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
Thanks! I’m over on LinusTechTips and there’s a few guys helping me out too. I appreciate your help

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
Post back what the solution is--I'm pretty curious as to what happened.
Apparently out of the 8 SATA ports in the motherboard, only 4 were actual SATA for the drives. The 2 yellow ports labeled USB3 1/2 are hooked up to the black and blue USBs on the front io. They now work! The 2 white connectors on the front io (SATA style and wire connector style) both labeled CR are not connected as we assume are related to the Card Reader. I have no need for that, so in a n effort to declutter wiring, I’m going to leave those unplugged. The red SATA style connector may or may not be associated with the audio?? I currently have the green connector plugged into the motherboard side and front io side but the audio doesn’t work. I wonder if the red SATA connector is part of the audio and if it needs to be connected to one of the original 4 actual SATA ports. Like I said, 4 are SATA and the other 4 are labeled USB3 1/2 and USB 2 1/2. If the red is actually audio, it may very well need to be installed into a SATA port, right?
Mu3PiHC.jpg

LWm6G17.jpg

holy wtf--this is really, really bad engineering. There is no reason for them to use sata connectors for usb when the potential for plugging in the wrong connector and shorting stuff out is introduced.

I would have no clue what would work for the audio anymore as nothing is remotely familiar if they're using connectors for stuff other than their intended purpose. :eek:

Reactions: Abasiczombie

Abasiczombie

Reputable
Mar 21, 2020
Ye
holy wtf--this is really, really bad engineering. There is no reason for them to use sata connectors for usb when the potential for plugging in the wrong connector and shorting stuff out is introduced.

I would have no clue what would work for the audio anymore as nothing is remotely familiar if they're using connectors for stuff other than their intended purpose. :eek:
Yeaaaa... lol
I’ll figure it out. Atleast the USBs are working and I have rear audio jacks 💁🏼‍♂️