[SOLVED] ASUS M5A99FX PRO 2.0 CPU Question.

Travis51

Honorable
Jul 12, 2015
I built my computer five years ago, few months ago being the anniversary. Now after the launch of CyberPunk I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I always knew my CPU was pretty weak as it's a AMD FX-8350 and that isn't one of the models that are considered "fantastic."

Before posting this I did check PCPartPicker to find compatibility of other CPUs and I found that it's only compatible with AMD processors. I would rather switch to Intel, so I'm coming here to ask more intelligent people than I.

I'm looking at the Intel Core i7-9700k 8 Core, 8 Thread, same as my present CPU. Would it be possible to use this CPU or am I simply stuck with AMD? More importantly, am I going to be forced to just need to replace the whole motherboard?

Solution
I built my computer five years ago, few months ago being the anniversary. Now after the launch of CyberPunk I'm looking to upgrade a bit. I always knew my CPU was pretty weak as it's a AMD FX-8350 and that isn't one of the models that are considered "fantastic."

Before posting this I did check PCPartPicker to find compatibility of other CPUs and I found that it's only compatible with AMD processors. I would rather switch to Intel, so I'm coming here to ask more intelligent people than I.

I'm looking at the Intel Core i7-9700k 8 Core, 8 Thread, same as my present CPU. Would it be possible to use this CPU or am I simply stuck with AMD? More importantly, am I going to be forced to just need to replace the whole motherboard?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You're going to have to replace the motherboard and the RAM to make any upgrade, regardless of whether you go Intel or AMD. This socket has been dead for a very long time and we're almost to the second generation of RAM past your DDR3.

Reactions: Travis51
Solution