Question Asus N56JR very wierd display issues

Feb 5, 2022
Asus N56Jr laptop.

link to a photo of the issue
: View: https://imgur.com/gallery/cjVed6K

So lets get into the nitty-gritty. I bought this laptop from a local Finnish local selling site as a spares or repairs machine.
They told me they had installed windows 10 updates in 2017-18 or so as they has been using the machine on and off when the machine rebooted it had no display. I got it for 50 euros with the charger and a battery that doesn’t work.

Quick lowdown on the specs
I7 4700hq
Gtx 760m 2gb gddr5
8gb ram (switched both sticks just in case and both are recognized)
No hdd but i put in my own ssd from another laptop.
1080p display

When it boots i do not see an asus splash screen nor anything it stays black but with the backlight on and blank screen exept that it randomly shows this type of image of what is shown on the display, everything works fine on an external display, ive also tested both gpus they work and a different display of the same resolution, connector and refresh rate which also works, i force updated the bios which did not help either.
The machine is even capable of gaming on an external display but i would want the laptops internal display to be functional and no the display showing that image is not dependant on how the screen is tilted or what im showing, it will randomly and intermitently show that image for 1-2 seconds about 2-3 times then either the entire display (internal) turns off, or it stays on but with only black shown these issues persists even in bios so not even a driver pro

Other things ive tried
- Upadating using different drivers in windows.
-Replugging display cable on both ends.
-Using with battery in (battery nonfunctional) and without.
-hard resetting machine with nothing plugged in and presing power fo

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Upadating using different drivers in windows
Always source the latest drivers relevant to your laptop(outside of the GPU) from Asus's support site, then manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

No hdd but i put in my own ssd from another laptop
Did you reinstall the OS in the new laptop? The wrong drivers can and will give you the issue shown in your image. As a side note, Did you connect the laptop to an external monitor to rule out your laptop's display being corrupt or the GPU being the root of the problem(the same artifacting/scrambled image will shown on the external display if the GPU conked out)?

Are you able to go into BIOS? If so, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

Feb 5, 2022

Did you reinstall the OS in the new laptop? The wrong drivers can and will give you the issue shown in your image. As a side note, Did you connect the laptop to an external monitor to rule out your laptop's display being corrupt or the GPU being the root of the problem(the same artifacting/scrambled image will shown on the external display if the GPU conked out)?

Are you able to go into BIOS? If so, what BIOS version are you on at the time of writing?

Well, i put a fresh install of linux on it as well on a fresh ssd (mint 19.4) which had the same issue.
The display problems happen only on the internal display and not on an external display, i can even game on the laptop on my external gaming monitor i use for my desktop, and stress tested both gpus intel and nvidia work mighty fine and ive nuked the gpu drivers in windows too once already so that is not an issue in any case, ive also tried a different display of the same model which had the exact same results. i think i can get into the bios? as i dont see an asus splash but the internal display is always blank and occasionally shows some scrambled image of what is on the screen at that moment, and i see it goes into the bios when i spam f2 as i dont see it accesing the ssd. But when i dont spam f2 it does flash the hdd accesing indicator on the laptop and it boots into windows, with a compleltey blank screen.

Bios version is 206 at the time of writing i force installed it, (it wouldn't install without a battery if i didnt force it) it did its thing display stayed blank and it did install as i can see in windows from the easyflash tool 206 is installed, originally it had the bios the laptop came with dated something like 2014? i think.

Feb 5, 2022

Upadating using different drivers in windows
Always source the latest drivers relevant to your laptop(outside of the GPU) from Asus's support site, then manually install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Here is also a picture of it working fine with my external display, the asus easyflash tool for refference that it is infact the laptop.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/kA0wrKP

This photo is taken with laptop being connected with HDMI so it goes trough the 760M while vga trough the intel hd 4600 and they both display a crisp clean image, the Nvidia gpu can also play games fine with normal framerates like fornite with 1080p and settings so that the vram is maxed so its not the vram either nor normal ram for the igpu as i replaced it too to sort out that if that was the issue. Display setting is to copy the displays, but internal is off.