ASUS P6T and shutdown problem after PCI express card install and Windows 7

CTDave

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,

Running Win 7 with no problems. Then installed PCI Express parallel card (Syba SD-PEX 10005)and immediately encountered failure to completely shutdown. System will shutdown by holding the power button, but this is not a good practice. Any suggestions appreciated. Everything else works fine.

Solution
You removed the card and the problem was still there ? Maybe you did something bad that coincided with the PCIe card installation. Am I correct ?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Remove the PCIe card and test if Windows now shuts down properly. Refit the PCIe card, install its drivers (if any for Win 7 32-bit or 64-bit. pls see http://www.syba.com/index.php?controller=Product&action=Info&Id=1060) and test if the problem comes back.

CTDave

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
1. Removed and replaced the PCI card, reinstalled drivers and the problem persisted (including with the card removed).
2. The BIOS is no playground for the inexperienced. One wrong move and you're off to the local PC technician who hopefully can fix it.

In the meantime fired up the 10 year old PC stored in the basement. OMG is it ever slow. Amazing how things have changed!

CTDave

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
The computer is back from the shop.

The problem was an AuzenTech X-Meridian 7.1 Sound card which was causing a conflict on shutdown with the onboard sound. As it turns out the onboard sound is every bit as good as the AuzenTech card. With the sound card removed everything started working fine.

According to the technician he experiences a lot of sound card and video card conflicts that result in the inability to completely shut down. In my case the video card was fine so that accounts for why the monitor shut down properly.

CTDave

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

I took the Flash files to the Technician and when I picked up the machine I asked him if he had "Flashed the Bios". His response was: "The Bios didn't need to be flashed and you need to stay out of the bios".