Status
Not open for further replies.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hey y'all

I just bought some upgrade components for a Frankenstein-PC I was building for a friend, I bought a Ryzen 5 2600/Asus ROG Strix B450-F/Trident Z RBG 2x8GB DDR4-3000 combo bundle off of NewEgg, I'd noticed upon unboxing that the Motherboard was already unpackaged, the board was unwrapped. I threw in the components anyways because I'd wanted to see if it would run anyways.

Unsurprisingly it doesn't boot into BIOS. Everything powers on, the liquid-cooling, RAM, GPU, and case fans all light up. I'd previously had an Asus Sabertooth 990fx 2.0/FX-8320 that ran fine, installed Win10 prior to new board for compatibility. There's an orange/yellow light lit up indicating RAM error, tried swapping various placements of RAM and using one stick, and removing RAM all-together to see if it would at least beep indicating no memory was present. No beeps, no sound, just continuous power with no display through DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI. Tried running display through the board itself, still nothing.

I left it on for up to a half hour since I'd read AMD first-boots can take a while so I took a smoke break and came back to nothing, tried resetting CMOS, nothing. Before anyone posts I have to make it clear that yes, I have backpins for the motherboard, yes I have the CPU power and main power connector plugged into the board, yes I have tried swapping memory slots & amount of memory. This motherboard was sent to me already opened which leads me to believe someone returned a dead/damaged board and it got re-sent to me by NewEgg.

I've got a RMA ticket in for the product so I'm just going to replace the board and see if that fixes it, if not then I would assume it's a CPU issue (RAM is QVL compatible), just thought I would post and see if there was any avenue I missed before finalizing the decision to remove the board from the case and pack it up.

Current specs (no BIOS display/boot):
  • PSU - CORSAIR CX-M Series CX650M
  • CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
  • GPU - PNY GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 VCGGTX10606XGPB-OC 6GB
  • MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4
  • RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
  • HDD - Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
  • SSD - WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal SSD - SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5"/7mm Solid State Drive
  • Cooling - Lepa Exllusion 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler
  • OS - Windows 10 Home
  • Chassis - EVGA DG-77

TL;DR: Everything powers up and stays on, orange/yellow DRAM light on mobo, no beeping from motherboard w/o RAM, everything plugged in (pentuple-checked), no display recognized through graphics card or motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,
If there's an internal speaker connected to the board and no beeps when board started with no RAMs, then yes: board, or CPU, assuming that the power supply does work.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I figured as much, always a bummer to get dud equipment.

I'll post an update as soon as I can get a replacement board to verify if it was the board causing the issue and not an issue with the CPU or memory compatibility (I've seen people posting about issues with QVL memory)

RYZEN 5 2600 has no processor graphics, so your wasting your time connecting to the motherboard for a graphics display. Do you actually have a BIOS beep speaker installed?

Some people buy two F4-3000C16S-8GTZR for an unmatched set of memory that has never been tested together and has no guarantee to be compatible together.

G.Skill also makes an Trident Z RGB for AMD, which is not sold in a 3000MHz package.
You wrote, RAM is QVL compatible. I can't say what QVL compatible is or what memory part number your memory is, because I don't know.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
RYZEN 5 2600 has no processor graphics, so your wasting your time connecting to the motherboard for a graphics display. Do you actually have a BIOS beep speaker installed?
from my TL;DR
TL;DR: Everything powers up and stays on, orange/yellow DRAM light on mobo, no beeping from motherboard w/o RAM, everything plugged in (pentuple-checked), no display recognized through graphics card or motherboard.

I'm aware there's no integrated graphics, I included it to specify I'd tried input through both means.

Some people buy two F4-3000C16S-8GTZR for an unmatched set of memory that has never been tested together and has no guarantee to be compatible together.

G.Skill also makes an Trident Z RGB for AMD, which is not sold in a 3000MHz package.
You wrote, RAM is QVL compatible. I can't say what QVL compatible is or what memory part number your memory is, because I don't know.

I listed the parts in full. The model is F4-3000C16D-16GTZR for the TridentZ RBG,

I'm not sure what you're meaning by "buying two for an unmatched set of memory that hasn't been tested" if you wouldn't mind elaborating on that, the component is from the B450-F QVL:
G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-16GTZR 2*8GB

Also unsure what you mean by TridentZ RGB not being sold in 3000MHz, since they're available in 3000 and 3200 frequencies and also listed on the QVL.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I'm guessing that he has these:
F4-3000C16D-16GTZR
Which are listed on the Asus QVL for his (and my) MB and should work well for him.
I personally have a 16 GB TridentZ RGB kit F4-3200C16D-16GTZR which is also on the Asus QVL anfd I have mine running at 3400 MHz (16-17-17-36-56).
These were tested by Asus Before G.Skill released the AMD (X) versions.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I'll pick one up after work just to double check thanks. I also browsed some other trouble-boot threads for Ryzen builds and saw some people had to wait ~45min for it to post on first startup, so I might let it run a while to see if it's a slow-post issue. Didn't see any mention of DRAM light issues so not sure if it's the same but might as well try before sending it back in.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I use BIOS version 1201 on my B450-F and I have never had any cold boot issues and I run my RAM at 3400 MHz.
I have read that quite a few people have had cold boot and RAM compatibility/OCing issues with version 2008 and 2202 which is why I didn't update to either of those versions.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Just an update, the board didn't respond to speaker inputs so I'm in the middle of waiting on a replacement board.

I had a horror moment where the liquid cooler fixture stuck to and pulled the CPU from the socket and I was worried I'd ripped/warped the pins beyond salvaging but it looks (to my amateur eyes) to be completely okay. Obviously I'll have to put it in a functioning rig to be sure but YIKES 😬

Reactions: DMAN999

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
UPDATE

I know this thread is old but I figured an update would be helpful.

RMA'd the old board, they tested it and sent me a replacement, hooked everything up and it booted/posted perfectly fine. Stellar considering the CPU mishap removing the board.

Thanks to everyone for their input

Reactions: DMAN999

Koushal Saini

Honorable
Oct 19, 2014
I understand that BUT until you have BIOS 2301 flashed it will never boot with that 3600x installed.
You need an older supported AMD CPU to get it to boot so the BIOS can be updated.
You might be able to get a local PC shop to update the BIOS for a small fee or you can contact AMD and see about getting a loaner CPU to use:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100
So its not ram issue??

Status
Not open for further replies.