catch440

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Hi all,
To those who have this GPU (possibly not many due the well-known stock shortages)... Just wondering what you have safely overclocked to?
My 3080 came with a pre-build, and with Asus GPUtweakII (that I downloaded), I just use the OC preset - which sets the clock speed to 1815MHz.
(Temp is about 37 when idle... about 54 when in MSFS)
Has anyone pushed this further? Would you recommend I do? Would I gain much more FPS by nudging it up a little? (enough to notice?)
Any advice/tips would be gratefully recieved. I know a fair bit about computers, but not so much when it comes to overclocking.
My PC specs can be found in my signature. Anything else you need to know - please ask away :)

Thanks in advance.
SJ

Solution
On MSFS just now (its what I primarily use my rig for) it was saying [on GPU Tweek II Monitor] 1980, peaked a little at 2010... but was mainly sat on 1980. Which is over the OC mode I set it at... is that right? I think this is where my little knowledge of overclocking/clock speed comes in ha!

SJ
That all sounds correct. The peak will happen only a rare occasion intervals. You are running very similar to mine before I overclock. However the tiny gain from overclocking I just don’t bother, I don’t need the extra heat and noise for such a small gain of pushing up to 2100mhz randomly.

catch440

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
What speed does the gpu hit while gaming? The gpu will boost higher than that clockspeed of 1815mhz. If I overclock my Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080 I can get it to hit 2100mhz but if it peaks over that it becomes unstable.

On MSFS just now (its what I primarily use my rig for) it was saying [on GPU Tweek II Monitor] 1980, peaked a little at 2010... but was mainly sat on 1980. Which is over the OC mode I set it at... is that right? I think this is where my little knowledge of overclocking/clock speed comes in ha!

SJ

SJ
That all sounds correct. The peak will happen only a rare occasion intervals. You are running very similar to mine before I overclock. However the tiny gain from overclocking I just don’t bother, I don’t need the extra heat and noise for such a small gain of pushing up to 2100mhz randomly.

Solution

catch440

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010

Thats helpful to know. Thanks!
I want to push the card a little to get a few more frames... but not so much that heat/noise becomes annoying (or damaging). So I think I will leave the card as it is. MSFS runs well... and I think the only way we will get more frames now is if the game is optimised better by the developers - that will come with time (and DX12 maybe). As for all other games - I rarely see less than 80 fps so can't complain!

Thanks again for your input, really appreciated!

SJ

Thats helpful to know. Thanks!
I want to push the card a little to get a few more frames... but not so much that heat/noise becomes annoying (or damaging). So I think I will leave the card as it is. MSFS runs well... and I think the only way we will get more frames now is if the game is optimised better by the developers - that will come with time (and DX12 maybe). As for all other games - I rarely see less than 80 fps so can't complain!

Thanks again for your input, really appreciated!

SJ
When you are at 80fps already even if you squeezed 5% more performance you might get 82-84 FPS.

Reactions: catch440