Asus VG248QE Monitor and HDMI 144Hz?

Rhawkie

Commendable
Jul 31, 2017
So I've been looking to buy myself a new screen (Asus VG248QE) to be able to utilize 144Hz. I currently have a 19.5" Samsung 60Hz screen (Unsure of model).

I currently also have a GTX 750 Ti GPU

What will be the best way to get 144Hz on the Asus screen while also having the second (old) screen plugged in? Will HDMI work? I currently use a DVI-D single link cable to connect my current monitor to the GPU

Solution

Rhawkie

Commendable
Jul 31, 2017

Unfortunately the GPU does not support Display Port. [strike]It also only has a mini-HDMI[/strike]. I'm assuming that DVI will be the way to go, but I'm not sure which cable to use, which I can connect to BOTH monitor and GPU, to utilize the 144Hz

I checked the wrong specs. The GPU does have 2 HDMI's, but I've read somewhere that:
1) HDMI only supports 60Hz

2) If 1 screen is only 60Hz, then both screens will be capped to 60Hz

HDMI itself is not limited to 60 Hz, but many monitors are, so people have misinterpreted this to think that HDMI is limited to 60 Hz but this is a myth. This is a limitation of those monitors, not a limitation of the HDMI standard. I have a monitor that supports 1080p 144 Hz over HDMI 1.4 personally (the XG2401).

The VG248QE supports 144 Hz over Dual-Link DVI and DisplayPort. It does not support 144 Hz over HDMI unfortunately.

There are no cheap passive adapters for connected to either DP or DL-DVI if your computer does not have either of those; if you are on a laptop or something with no DP output, then I would recommend against the VG248QE since you will not be able to run it at 144 Hz, and instead get the XG2401 since it can run 144 Hz over HDMI.

You can run 1 monitor at 144 Hz and 1 at 60 Hz, they do not need to be the same refresh rate. However if you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, if you play video on your 60 Hz monitor while gaming on the 144 Hz monitor, then the 144 Hz monitor will be capped to 60 Hz for the duration of the video.

Rhawkie

Commendable
Jul 31, 2017

So if I buy the screen and use the DL-DVI cable for the 144Hz monitor and the (current) SL-DVI for the 60Hz monitor, will the new monitor still utilize the 144Hz if I just game on the 144Hz with like a website open on the 60Hz? The GPU I currently have does not have a DP, but only DVI (2) and HDMI (2) (which I currently use).

Yes, that should work fine.

Solution