[SOLVED] At least 3 times BSOD per day even 3/4 times clean installation of windows 10

Mar 9, 2021
As mentioned above, my computer start having multiple BSOD per day for a few weeks. Even I do a clean installation of windows 10 few times, the problem still exists.
I could not complete the update of kb4601319 and kb4601382. they always fail. Besides, my browser(chrome and edge) keeps crashing. microsoft office app like words and excel also will lead to bsod. Sometimes when watching youtube also lead to bsod. It is very annoying.
I tried sfc /scannow, sometimes it is successful sometimes it is not. DISM also. Memtest86 shows no error.

BlueScreenView shows that the crash address is all ntoskrnl.exe+3f5210.

Hope could help me solve these problems. No budget to buy a new laptop.

Any information needed, please guide me.

Solution
error 4 might be hdd activity
error 3 & 5 are similar. Not sure whats happening though.
more mention of ntfs than i normally see
ntfs - new tech file system, its the file system windows has used for 20 years.
other possible clues, I see one file all the time so its hard to tell if it means anything.

can you run windirstat on the hdd for me?
i normally go to their home page but its currently offline - https://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/
it shows what files make up largest space on drive, I am more curious if any system files on it

Colif

Win 11 Master
What make/model laptop?
if you keep getting bsod after clean installing its not likely to be windows.

I will ask a friend to check dumps, see if they offer any clues

try updating internet drivers, seems all the process you have problems with are internet based (even office since it uses Onedrive for storage)
LAN/WIFI drivers causing problems is the theme this year so far.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
What make/model laptop?

try updating internet drivers, seems all the process you have problems with are internet based (even office since it uses Onedrive for storage)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80GHz
RAM: 2 x SK Hynix 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design 6GB
Windows 10 Home 20H2 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
OS build 19042.631
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
Lenovo Legion Y520; Model: 80YY;
BIOS: UEFI; LENOVO 5XCN26WW,20 DEC 2018

232GB NVMe Samsung SSD 960 (RAID (SSD))
930GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (TMax )

Mar 9, 2021
What make/model laptop?

I have tried updating the drivers from Device Manager, right click to update driver. All says latest drivers.
Any other way to check driver version?

Besides, I have downloaded kb4601319 and kb4601382 from windows update catalog, all failed to install.

Samsung magician telling me my ssd is using intel driver not samsung driver, could be a problem?

Mar 9, 2021

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/e7g9xy8a/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:030921-8890-01.dmp (Mar 9 2021 - 00:33:12)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

File information:030921-8625-01.dmp (Mar 9 2021 - 02:08:22)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:030921-7093-01.dmp (Mar 9 2021 - 00:24:25)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 36 Sec(s)

File information:030921-7015-01.dmp (Mar 9 2021 - 01:48:38)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:030921-6953-01.dmp (Mar 9 2021 - 02:05:30)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 46 Sec(s)
BIOS info was not included in the dump files. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
just now I try to set it to AHCI then the windows cannot boot.
makes me think its set up raid with hdd for some odd reason.
i know they used to set up ssd/hdd raid to let ssd act as a cache for the hdd and make it boot faster but that was when ssd were 32gb, not 250gb like yours.

232GB NVMe Samsung SSD 960 (RAID (SSD))
930GB Microsoft Storage Space Device (TMax )

930gb Microsoft storage space device, otherwise known as a 1tb hdd. Storage space is software raid (run by windows), ssd is set up as hardware raid...
what are they playing at.
did you replace any drives in this? Is this how it was set up?

just curious, can you right click start
choose disk management
expand the next window to show all columns/details
take a screenshot, upload to an image sharing website and show link here.
hdd probably won't show in here but curious what ssd looks like

BSOD aren't obvious, no drivers stand out
okay, apart from this one (only as its not common)
Mar 22 2018xlwfp.sysXunlei Windows Filtering Platform driver (ShenZhen Thunder Networking Technologies Ltd.)

try updating your wifi drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
could grab new ethernet drivers too, 3rd link down under windows - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Mar 9, 2021
i know they used to set up ssd/hdd raid to let ssd act as a cache for the hdd and make it boot faster but that was when ssd were 32gb, not 250gb like yours.

930gb Microsoft storage space device, otherwise known as a 1tb hdd. Storage space is software raid (run by windows), ssd is set up as hardware raid...

choose disk management

Mar 22 2018xlwfp.sysXunlei Windows Filtering Platform driver (ShenZhen Thunder Networking Technologies Ltd.)

try updating your wifi drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
could grab new ethernet drivers too, 3rd link down under windows - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

choose disk management

Hi, the HDD comes with the laptop, I bought the SSD and installed myself about 2-3 years ago.
Do I need to try changing RAID to ACHI?
I also found the HDD drive weird. I don't mind reformatting them and do a clean installation again, I have all my files backup.

I have updated those drivers you mentioned but the BSOD still exists. I have experienced 6/7 for the past 5-6 hours and the google chrome keep crashing.

The Xunlei driver is one of the China software I use to download torrent file.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure if you need to swap, you might be okay staying like that for now but if you do have to install again, swap it to AHCI in bios before you start the installer. Is the info on D drive something you put there? Just checking its not acting as a mirror for the ssd. Is hdd set up as raid as well?

so laptop only had hdd originally, no little ssd in it you replaced?

how to swap (in case you wanted to)
There is actually another way around this. Before you begin, make sure you remember your PC password (not PIN), or else you would be stuck in safe mode forever (with this way of entering safe mode). Also, I advise you to disable BitLocker before entering safe mode, or else you would probably need to provide a very long code to unlock your computer (not tested).

Booting into Safe Mode will work even though the storage mode has been changed... Windows will notice the change and load the correct driver on the next normal boot. Basically that means, you can do this:

1. Run cmd as administrator (not PowerShell, you would have to escape {...})
  2. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Safe Mode the next time you reboot:
    bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

3. Restart the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS setup.
  4. Change the SATA operation mode from RAID to AHCI.
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Launch cmd again, as in step #1.
  7. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Normal Mode the next time you reboot:
    bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

8. Reboot and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
Note: Switching to AHCI is essential if you want to install any Linux as RAID mode is to my knowledge not supported, so you would not see your drive(s) in the installation menu.
source

Hdd format may have nothing to do with errors anyway, I will see what dumps show once Gardenman looks at them.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
Not sure if you need to swap, you might be okay staying like that for now but if you do have to install again, swap it to AHCI in bios before you start the installer. Is the info on D drive something you put there? Just checking its not acting as a mirror for the ssd. Is hdd set up as raid as well?

so laptop only had hdd originally, no little ssd in it you replaced?

how to swap (in case you wanted to)
There is actually another way around this. Before you begin, make sure you remember your PC password (not PIN), or else you would be stuck in safe mode forever (with this way of entering safe mode). Also, I advise you to disable BitLocker before entering safe mode, or else you would probably need to provide a very long code to unlock your computer (not tested).

Booting into Safe Mode will work even though the storage mode has been changed... Windows will notice the change and load the correct driver on the next normal boot. Basically that means, you can do this:

1. Run cmd as administrator (not PowerShell, you would have to escape {...})
  2. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Safe Mode the next time you reboot:
    bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal

3. Restart the computer and enter UEFI/BIOS setup.
  4. Change the SATA operation mode from RAID to AHCI.
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Launch cmd again, as in step #1.
  7. Copy-paste this command, which will start Windows in Normal Mode the next time you reboot:
    bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

8. Reboot and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
Note: Switching to AHCI is essential if you want to install any Linux as RAID mode is to my knowledge not supported, so you would not see your drive(s) in the installation menu.
source

Hdd format may have nothing to do with errors anyway, I will see what dumps show once Gardenman looks at them.

Once swap to ACHI, my computer couldnt normally boot also, must do fresh installation I think.

Which info on D drive? Not sure whether the HDD is set up as RAID.

Yes, originally the laptop came with 1 HSS without other hard disks or SSD.

Okay. i am thinking will it be hardward problem? but i run test on RAM is fine. Thinking could be my SSD or HDD?
or even incompatibility issue with the latest version of windows? I remember it starts behaving BSOD and all browser crashes since mid of Feb. Since then, also couldnt install windows update, cant even go back to version before 20h2 since no more official iso could be downloaded from microsoft.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can run crystaldiskinfo on the 2 drives to check their smart score. - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
We only went down raid route because you couldn't run Magician, it isn't only test you can try.
Also try HD Sentinel but its trial may not allow you to run any tests on drives - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

how did you test the Memory?

its unlikely the PC would set SSD to raid if the hdd wasn't also. Maybe they sell some which do use the cache method. Would explain why Microsoft set it up as a storage space without you asking (I assume you didn't set it up)

Mar 9, 2021
you can run crystaldiskinfo on the 2 drives to check their smart score. - https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/
We only went down raid route because you couldn't run Magician, it isn't only test you can try.
Also try HD Sentinel but its trial may not allow you to run any tests on drives - https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

how did you test the Memory?

its unlikely the PC would set SSD to raid if the hdd wasn't also. Maybe they sell some which do use the cache method. Would explain why Microsoft set it up as a storage space without you asking (I assume you didn't set it up)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1voANsWlgZmMZjj2-BzSmkJt5aYK3oI23?usp=sharing
is this the test?

I use memtest86 to test the memory.

Perhaps I accidentally set it that way, forgot what i did two years ago.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running this on hdd - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/
Reallocated Sector Count Warning indicates a failing hard drive, which can’t be fixed by using any method or technique. This situation arrives when a system is not able to read, write, or verify data stored on a given sector, and thus marks it ‘bad’ and reallocates the stored data to a reserved area on the hard drive.
Seatools is a 2nd opion since the drive is made by Seagate.

ssd looks okay from that

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know what is running off the HDD, windows is on C and most of the processing for PC is more likely to occur here or in ram.

So I can't say if hdd is cause of the errors as really it shouldn't be. Its probably just due for replacement from usage. its been on 469 days, that isn't really that long in drive terms

Mar 9, 2021
try running this on hdd - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/seatools-win-master/

ssd looks okay from that
Will try it now.

Besides, https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1voANsWlgZmMZjj2-BzSmkJt5aYK3oI23?usp=sharing
according to hdd.jpg, my HDD is recognized as thin provisioned space, could this be the issue, how to convert it back to hdd?

Mar 9, 2021

ssd looks okay from that
Which test should I run using seatools?

I am thinking of doing a clean installation on my ssd, converting the hdd back to hdd state, changing raid to ahci later. see if the bsod will continues.

BSOD and the browser crash issue really make me annoyed

TRENDING THREADS