Question Audio and video stop working, then the PC slowly freezes up until a hard restart is required ?

Aug 12, 2024
Hello,

I've been having this issue for about 9 months with varying frequency; sometimes it can happen multiple times a day, and sometimes I go multiple weeks without an incident. It usually happens when the PC is relatively idle, for example, when listening to music or watching a video, but also sometimes when playing games. There is no way to predict when it will happen.

It always happens more or less the same:
I stop hearing the audio and stop seeing the video play;
I can still move the mouse and open certain programs, others don't work;
and after a short while my mouse freezes up too, and I have to hard restart.

Here's what I've tried so far:

• updated all drivers
  • updated the BIOS
  • checked my hard drives
  • ran memtest
  • swapped the RAM
  • updated from Windows 10 to 11
  • completely reset my PC

After some of these measures, it seemingly went away for a while just to appear one more after a couple weeks.

I also looked at the Event Viewer, but the only consistent thing in there is a Critical Kernel-Power Error, telling me that the PC was shut down improperly.

An interesting observation I made is that if youre fast enough to click restart normally (no hard restart), you will be able to hear the audio again for a second before it restarts, and when you cancel the restart by spamming esc, everything works again.

My specs are:
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor, 3600 Mhz 6 Core(s), 12 Loigical Processor(s)
Bios Version/Date: American Megatrends International, LLC. H.C0, 14/10/2023
Motherboard: Micro-Star International B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Memory 32 Gb (4 * 8 Gb G.Skill Aegis Series 3200 DDR4 Dual Channel)

If you need any further info ill be happy to provide it and thanks in advance

Aug 12, 2024
C: SAMSUNG MZVL21T0HCLR-00B00 : 1024.2 GB; Interface: NVM Express; Transfer Mode: PCIe 3.0 x4 | PCIe 4.0 x4

D: TOSHIBA HDWD110 : 1000.2 GB; Interface: Serial ATA; Transfer Mode: SATA/600 | SATA/600

E: WDC WD30EZRX-00MMMB0 : 3000.5 GB; Interface: USB (Serial ATA) ; Transfer Mode: SATA/300 | SATA/600

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-II/support#driver
make sure you installed the realtek onboard audio driver update.

then go into windows control panel device manager and disable any sound source that you do not have a speaker connected to.
for example if you do not get sound from your graphics card via hmdi to your monitor from your HDMI cable then disable the driver.
if you are not using the motherboard sound hardware you should disable it.

depending on the dates of your sound drivers there are some versions of realtek motherboard sound drivers that respond to DMA request from other sound devices (like a nvidia gpu hdmi sound) this can overflow buffers and cause the gpu to hang.
GPU drivers have to run fast and have less error checking in the driver, bad calls tend to hang the driver.

most common symptom is hearing corrupt sounds or nothing and the system hangs.
sound devices are pretty stupid and will still "play" sound when no speaker is connected.

NOTE: microphone inputs are sound devices so disable any not in use. you can even look for updates for them also.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2024
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-II/support#driver
make sure you installed the realtek onboard audio driver update.

then go into windows control panel device manager and disable any sound source that you do not have a speaker connected to.
for example if you do not get sound from your graphics card via hmdi to your monitor from your HDMI cable then disable the driver.
if you are not using the motherboard sound hardware you should disable it.

depending on the dates of your sound drivers there are some versions of realtek motherboard sound drivers that respond to DMA request from other sound devices (like a nvidia gpu hdmi sound) this can overflow buffers and cause the gpu to hang.
GPU drivers have to run fast and have less error checking in the driver, bad calls tend to hang the driver.

most common symptom is hearing corrupt sounds or nothing and the system hangs.
sound devices are pretty stupid and will still "play" sound when no speaker is connected.

NOTE: microphone inputs are sound devices so disable any not in use. you can even look for updates for them also.
did that, but theres no telling if it worked yet