Question Audio interface only working as input or output, not both ?

May 29, 2021
Hello!

This is almost the same issue as "Ashesandwool" had a year ago, where I just have bought the "RODE AI-1" audio interface and I have connected my "RODE NT1-A" microphone to its input, my headset via a "jack to mini-jack" transition to the output and my pc to the interface with the generic usb-c. On my windows 10 pc have I selected the "AI-1" as both the input device and the output device, and both of the uses work, but it seems that when I am using it for my microphone, the speakers stop working, and when I am using it for my speakers, my microphone stops working. For example I will start my computer and the pc will recieve input from the microphone, but my audio doesn't work. When I disable the microphone the audio starts playing clear as day...

BUT(!) i have the latest drivers and updates on my pc, and the latest firmware upgrade for the "RODE AI-1"...

Please help me.. ':(

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about your expectations....

FYI:

https://www.rode.com/faq

I scanned through the FAQ's and did not find much. I really was looking for a User Guide/Manual.

One thing I read:

"What does the auto-sensing feature do?

The auto-sensing output is an intelligent feature that seamlessly detects whether your microphone is plugged into a TRS input, like those on most cameras, or a TRRS input, which most smartphones and tablets have, and switches the output to accommodate. This means you don’t have to worry about using TRS to TRRS adaptor cables – the SC10 cable that accompanies the VideoMic NTG will work seamlessly with any device. However, if your device has a Lightning® connector or anything other than a 3.5mm input, you will need to use an adaptor."

Not at all directly helpful but it does indicate that there are more complexities involved.

Also:

Did you purchase a kit?

http://en.rode.com/faq/does-the-nt1--ai-1-complete-studio-kit-need-a-power-supply-

Does the NT1 & AI-1 Complete Studio Kit need a power supply?

No, the AI-1 only needs power USB power from a computer, no external power supply is needed. USB power will allow the AI-1 to fully function, and this includes the ability to provide phantom power to the RØDE NT1, as well as other condenser microphones which rely on 48V phantom power.

= = = =

Perhaps the host computer is unable to provide sufficient USB power. Will the AI-1 work if powered via an independently powered USB hub?

Take a look at the current connections and configuration. Verify that all are supported and that that is directly stated in the documentation, FAQs, or elsewhere.

I do not believe that the audio jacks can support input and output at the same time. The jack may do both but only one way at any given moment.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS