Batch File from Win98SE to XP

I have a very simple but lengthy batch file that was originally setup in
Windows 98, which I now need to run in XP. It will run fine if I go to the
command prompt and manually type in the path and batch file name, but if run
from a shortcut to the batch file, it returns error messages.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Perhaps I should clarify...using a shortcut (PIF file) to the batch file, the
batch file will run, but individual commands in it return error messages that
are not true. (The command "REN Y22 Y23" -- where folder "Y22" exists and
folder "Y23" does not exist -- returns "Invalid file/directory".) When run
at the command prompt it does not give any error messages, but completes all
steps correctly.

If this is somehow related to the shortcut settings (memory?), any guesses
as to which one might be a problem?

"RobynH" wrote:

> I have a very simple but lengthy batch file that was originally setup in
> Windows 98, which I now need to run in XP. It will run fine if I go to the
> command prompt and manually type in the path and batch file name, but if run
> from a shortcut to the batch file, it returns error messages.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

This should help: Open the Help and Support Center and read the article
entitled Using PIF Files.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"RobynH" <RobynH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a very simple but lengthy batch file that was originally setup in
> Windows 98, which I now need to run in XP. It will run fine if I go to
the
> command prompt and manually type in the path and batch file name, but if
run
> from a shortcut to the batch file, it returns error messages.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

You need to give specific examples. We are not here to guess all possible scenarios on how YOU screwed up. I suspect you haven't set the environment you expect in your batch but are relying on cmd's (which will be different under different circumstances).

So

Ren c:\y22 c:\y23
causes errors?

Post concrete examples for concrete help. EG the bloody batch file.