Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

So i did the last command. Still failure to copy. Here’s an image of what came up (i used the /v at the end)
What windows version is installed on your pc?
What windows installation media are you booting from?

Installed windows version and windows installation media has to be for same windows version.
So if you have windows 10 installed, you have to boot from windows 10 installation media (windows 7 installation media is not good here).

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

Installed windows version and windows installation media has to be for same windows version.
So if you have windows 10 installed, you have to boot from windows 10 installation media (windows 7 installation media is not good here).
  1. I don’t know the exact. It’s Windows 10, but model number or whatever? I wouldn’t know unless there’s a way to know.
  2. I am booting from Windows 10 Installation Media

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

Also when i do bootrec /scanos it says i have 0 windows installations, don’t know how to make that 1

Copy those missing files from USB flash drive to windows partition and retry bcdboot.

copy e:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\bootres.dll c:\windows\boot\
copy e:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi c:\windows\boot\efi\bootmgfw.efi
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit
bcdboot c:\windows /s h: /f uefi /v
And show screenshot.

Reactions: Kyroix 74

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Copy those missing files from USB flash drive to windows partition and retry bcdboot.

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit
And show screenshot.
The first and third line worked. Copied one file on each. The C:\ Commands didn’t work.
Couldn’t assign H to the partition. Virtual disk service error: the specified drive letter is nit free to be assigned.

The bcdboot command still says failed to copy boot files

Repeat copy process

2. if drive letter H is not assigned to bootloader partition, then assign it, else skip step #2.
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit

Show the screenshot.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Repeat copy process

2. if drive letter H is not assigned to bootloader partition, then assign it, else skip step #2.
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit

Show the screenshot.
https://ibb.co/7StnNzL. 1. Commands (the copy commands worked. The C:\Windows\boot ones didn’t.

https://ibb.co/KxNkRPg 2. (I think the partition is already assigned with H. An error comes up but it’s probably because it’s already assigned. Did the step anyway tho)

https://ibb.co/d5BfjMB 3. (Here’s the bcdboot command. This is what comes up)

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
You didn't copy properly.

This is single line (not 2 lines).

Same here - this is single line (not 2 lines).

Repeat properly instructions in post #89 and show screenshot.
ohhh ok

https://ibb.co/dgSzL4D Still comes up with fail
Did you reboot the pc before doing this command?
If yes, then drive letter H: has to be assigned again.

1. Execute following copy command (single line)
copy e:\efi\microsoft\boot\resources\bootres.dll c:\windows\boot\resources

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit

Show the screenshot.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit

Show the screenshot.
I did not reboot it. I’ll do these commands and show you a picture.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020

diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
assign letter=h
exit

Show the screenshot.
https://ibb.co/BCV6bv3 Fail to copy. Again.
First command works. I tried to assign the letter H again and it says The specified drive letter is not free to be assigned. So i must have already assigned it. It’s always the bcdboot command that doesn’t want to copy the boot files.

Status
Not open for further replies.