Question BCD corrupted, cannot repair in Advanced Recovery Mode ?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, i recently did a Windows quality update and i got several pop ups after a reboot saying ‘We couldn’t complete the updates, undoing changes’. This kept coming up. But one time i booted up my pc and it did not start up, instead giving me the screen to the advanced repair mode. I did all the options in the troubleshoot section, nothing worked. I did the command prompt, and ran a couple commands including BCD. It appears my BCD is corrupted. So i did the BCD repair commands, but they didn’t work. So i was stuck.

I clicked "Continue to Windows", but didn’t go back to the same screen, instead the horrible ‘Your device/pc needs to be repaired’. And the 4 options to boot on the advanced recovery, BIOS, and 2 others i forgot. I tried pressing F1 which was the allocated button for booting into the Advanced recovery again, but it didn’t work instead yakking me back to the same screen.

So currently i am stuck on the repair screen, not able to do anything on it except use the button to go into BIOS, but i don’t think i can do anything in that to get into Windows. So i think, 99% my BCD being corrupted is what caused my Windows to not boot up. I need some help because Resetting the PC is my last resort. I hope this massive oarsgraph makes sense to you.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
Also, kind of off topic but, after resetting, rocket league moved to epic games from steam, so it is no longer on steam, available to download. I have it on steam, so does this mean after the reset i’ll not be able to get it on steam anymore cuz it’s not on there, OR are all games i downlaided on steam, TIED to my steam account?

Also will i lose all my minecraft worlds or are th also tied to my minecraft account

USAFRet

Titan
Oh, so please can you take me through fully reinstalling it? Also does this mean when re downlaoding windows it’ll take forever
At the risk of "too many cooks in the kitchen"...

As indicated by SkyNetRising in #163
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ed-recovery-mode.3714043/page-7#post-22397633

Mostly the same way you installed in the 100GB partition you did earlier.
This time, however, you DELETE all existing partitions on the drive, and continue with a blank drive.

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
At the risk of "too many cooks in the kitchen"...

As indicated by SkyNetRising in #163
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ed-recovery-mode.3714043/page-7#post-22397633

Mostly the same way you installed in the 100GB partition you did earlier.
This time, however, you DELETE all existing partitions on the drive, and continue with a blank drive.

Do you think i could install windows from the Windows Media Tool that’s installed on my USB?

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
That's what you used before, correct?
If so, yes.
I mean ye i guess.

When in the screen to choose what drive to install it to, When choosing my Drive which has the broken windows on it, will it removed ‘that’ installation of windows and just reinstall
everything or will it like override or something

Because it says Total size 830GB free space 591GB. Will everything just get wiped, so this doesn’t matter?

Because it says Total size 830GB free space 591GB. Will everything just get wiped, so this doesn’t matter?
Did you copy user files somewhere else?

If not, then you'll loose all your files.
All of this will be gone.

184-E4-AC7-A01-F-4-F1-A-BE19-C7423-DD60-B61.jpg

Kyroix 74

Commendable
Jul 24, 2020
NOT in 'command prompt'

Have only the ONE drive physically connected.
Booting from the USB....when it asks where, select Custom.
Delete ALL partitions you see, leaving one blank space.
Ahhh MAN. Just deleted partitions in command prompt. My pc is gone. Didn’t realise you had to delete partitions NOT in the Drive. I deleted the partitions in the Drive. Is that bad? It is isn’t it

Great now gotta buy a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.