[SOLVED] Be Quiet! Pure Loop Pump Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2020
I recently bought the Be Quiet Pure Loop 280mm. I bought it due to its significant price difference compared to other AIO's in its size range. The cooler works perfectly well and is delivering great temperatures.

I watched the Gamers Nexus video about AIO positioning within a case, and how the pump should be lower than the highest point of the loop etc. My issue is that the pump on this cooler is not on the water block, but is its own separate unit located on the tubing about 3.5cm away from where the tubes enter the radiator. I have the radiator position in the front of my case, tubes up. With the pump being so high up in the loop and also near the radiators liquid intake, will this cause a serious issue with air bubbles getting into the pump? I think it is possible to flip and radiator so it is tubes bottom and therefore the pump, but the pump slightly catches on the power supply shroud at the bottom of my case which can cause a slight rattling sound. I was wondering whether the risk of damage to the pump is significant or exists at all. I found the video interesting but obviously, my AIO is quite different in its design compared to the examples they spoke about in the video. The pump on my tubing is roughly 1cm lower than the highest point of the loop. I am not able to fit the radiator into the top of my case as there is not enough clearance.

The pump is making a humming noise but from some brief reading online I found this to be normal, but then the thought that it could be air bubbles in the pump sent me down the rabbit hole of AIO positioning.

Also, I tried moving the tubes so the pump would be lower in the loop, but there is too much resistance for the pump further down in the loop meaningfully.

My knowledge on AIO cooling is not the best so please excuse my lack of knowledge, but if anyone could give any advice that would be great.

Solution
OK, so I would agree with the idea of rotating your radiator so the tubing is 'down' rather than 'up' (at the bottom of the case, rather than toward the top'.

The pump is in-line, and where it is positioned could still technically airlock a bit due to how high up it is positioned, but its your call.

If it were me, I would rotate it.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The Gamers Nexus video was for AIOs where the pump and CPU block are a combined unit - I think they even made sure to discuss this specific design.

Without knowing or seeing how your AIO is installed, can you include a photo of how it is installed?

Pumps make humming noise....that's an indicator they are running. If you place your hand around each tube, does one pulsate? If so, good news, it is pumping coolant.

Again, the GN video was intended for pump on block design AIOs, so you are troubleshooting an AIO that is different than the focus of that video.

Nov 16, 2020
The Gamers Nexus video was for AIOs where the pump and CPU block are a combined unit - I think they even made sure to discuss this specific design.

Without knowing or seeing how your AIO is installed, can you include a photo of how it is installed?

Pumps make humming noise....that's an indicator they are running. If you place your hand around each tube, does one pulsate? If so, good news, it is pumping coolant.

Again, the GN video was intended for pump on block design AIOs, so you are troubleshooting an AIO that is different than the focus of that video.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5FjG3UI

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OK, so I would agree with the idea of rotating your radiator so the tubing is 'down' rather than 'up' (at the bottom of the case, rather than toward the top'.

The pump is in-line, and where it is positioned could still technically airlock a bit due to how high up it is positioned, but its your call.

If it were me, I would rotate it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.