[SOLVED] Best 500-550 W PSU / What budget PSU should I buy?

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hi.
This is my first PC-build and I want some help with deciding which PSU I should buy.
I prefer a PSU that costs less than 60 $ with a wattage of 500-550 and that's availble in Scandinavia including Finland, no other countries.

Here are some PSU's in that pricerange that's availble, but I'll appreciate if you find some other that meets my "requirements"!
  • EVGA 500 W White 80+ White
  • Corsair VS550 V3 80+ White
  • Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 W 80+ White
Which is the best of these above?
Or should I rethink and spend more/less money?
My build's wattage is approx around 350 W.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
What will be your graphics card?
That is what determines the wattage you need.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I cringe a bit when one asks for a "budget"(AKA cheap) power supply.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I vote for the old workhorse EVGA 500 W White 80+ White. I've built several low cost budget gaming PCs using that PC and never had a problem or a complaint. In fact I still have one running on one of my other old machines.

Years back Johnny Guru did a review on it and passed it with no major complaints. Probably the reason I opted for it in the first place. I just tried to find that review, but it looks like he has taken down his older reviews.

The Corsair would be my next choice, only because I noticed that he tested the 600W version of the Masterwatt Lite and gave it a thumbs down. So I presume the 500W version is cut from the same cloth.

Reactions: emirkir
What will be your graphics card?
That is what determines the wattage you need.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I cringe a bit when one asks for a "budget"(AKA cheap) power supply.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
If it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive. Do not buy one.

Spend a bit more for a quality unit like Seasonic.

Solution

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
My graphics card will most likely be a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.
The minimal wattage needed from the PSU is 300 W, and the graphics card itself takes up 75 W (data from Nvidia).

The Seasonics that are availble here costs above 130 $, isn't there any cheaper GOOD and STABLE that doesn't fry my components? I cannot spend anything above 80 $, that's my maximum price.

I really don't know anything about what and where to look at when buying a PSU. Is the alternative @clutchc recommended bad or does it work properly? (The more opinions the better!)

If the PSU @clutchc voted for passed Johnny Guru's review, then that must be good enough, right?

I do not know your prices or where you might shop.
We all have a budget.
If possible, buy a good power supply in the 550w range that will last you a long time
and allow for a future upgrade.
The units you listed are simply OK and not dangerous if they should fail.

The GTX1050ti is a fine card and will run on as little as 300w.
What is the rest of your build?
Can you supply a link to your shopping web site?

Reactions: emirkir

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
I've bought almost everything, it's just the PSU and the RAM that's left.
  • Case: Deepcool D-Shield V2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B250-FinTech
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 (1151)
  • RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2x4)
  • GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB
  • Network: ASUS PCE-N15
  • HDD x3
  • SSD x1
  • Stock Optical Disc Drive
  • And a PSU that isn't determined yet
I think I got everything needed in the list :)

The shops I buy from are swedish, so if needed, fill in the website's address in Google Translate :D
The best ones are in bold, italic and underlined.
www.inet.se, www.netonnet.se, www.komplett.se, www.power.se, www.proshop.se, www.elgiganten.se

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
So it is Seasonic that I should buy (a little bit of a high price)?
It is about 5 $ do downgrade to the 520 W, so I think I'll stick with the 620 W.

PSU Alternatives:
  • EVGA 500 W White - Good price
  • Seasonic S12II 620 W - A bit expensive (for my taste)
Which should I go for? A guaranteed GOOD PSU or an OK PSU that suits my pocket better?
Is it more worth it in length to spend those extra 25 $ on the Seasonic or should I stick around with the cheaper 80+ white?
Any opinion is welcomed.

Thank you.