Jun 20, 2024
So alright, this is the situation, i have a laptop. Good enough quadcore 2ghz cpu, 6gb ram, ssd, problem, no gpu, igpu barely functional.

found out EXP GDC is a thing, gonna buy it, only port available to me to use as egpu slot is expresscard, which only supports pcie 2.0 x1 even tho physical slot is x16.

What would be a good gpu for me, a gpu that has good enough bandwidth to perform decent on a pcie 2.0 x1 bandwidth. I found out there's a gt 710 for that but it's just slightly too low end. Looking for an average 720p 30fps but even that the 710 struggles with.

Any recommendations anyone?

Jun 20, 2024
and if anyone comments telling me to just get rid of the laptop and buy a new one, this is a passion project, the laptop was handed to me down from my uncle and is a very nostalgic thing from my childhood. It's a fun project for me to see the slow thing go from barely running vista with 1.5gb ram and 2 core 1.4ghz processor and hdd to now easily running tiny11 and lubuntu in a dual boot config with 6gb ram, 4 core 2ghz cpu and and ssd. only factor remaining is the gpu

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can get an express card to eGPU adapter just pick out a GPU you can afford. They are all going to be severely crippled by a 1x connection. People generally do this with repurposed M.2 slots so they at least have a 4x connection, which is often what is used internally on cheaper laptops with discrete GPUs anyway.

For backwards compatibility sake, you probably want to avoid anything newer than the 700 series or the 500 series from AMD.

RX560-RX580 or GTX750/750Ti.

Reactions: VXVaayu