GIGABYTE 970A-UD3P
FX 8350 @4.4 GHZ w/ HYPER EVO 212
CORSAIR 4X4GB 1600MHZ CL9 RAM
SAPPHIRE DUAL-X OC R9 280X
AOPEN 650W 12V 624W 52A BRONZE PSU
COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 650 CASE
SAMSUNG EVO 840 250GB SSD (OS INSTALLED) WIN10 PRO X64
SAMSUNG HD753LJ

I am only singleplayer gaming at 1080@60p LED TV, further upgrade to a higher resolution/refresh rates are not on my plans. Maybe I can think of VR gaming in distant future if it is going to be cheaper.

I have been thinking about selling my old GPU close to 100$ and then getting myself brand new RX 580 which is around 250$ where I live. I know those prices are absurd but here it is like a 2nd to 3rd world country and technology has become a very luxurious stuff so the taxation is high with the hyperinflation and declining local currency etc. Electric consumer prices are too much as well so, the consumption is important to me. I had enough of my high TDP GPU because it can no longer satisfy me while gaming and gets very hot. I'd like to achieve constant 60FPS and average graphics as much as I can with only a GPU upgrade if that's possible which I hope.

I know I should look for 4gb VRAM ones, and I believe bottleneck is inevitable but does it worth the upgrade ? Or should I look for something else ? I might also think of building a new PC in long term because I don't have enough time nowadays thus, I can save some money and sell all the components from my old PC if it is gonna be profitable. But I highly prefer my former option to latter.

Thanks.

Solution
People from other forums say that there is definitely going to happen a huge bottleneck if I buy a GPU better than RX 570. But I checked some benchmarks and youtube comments which people are happy about having either RX 580 or 1650S along with FX 8350.

I am so confused right now.

There's no need to get too worried about a 'bottleneck' - in every system there is always a bottleneck (i.e. a component that limits maximum performance). Typically gamers want the graphics card to be the limiting factor, as that way you are getting the most out of the card. In your system, the FX 8350 is more likely to be the bottleneck but that doesn't mean it won't run games pretty well. It still has 8 cores (they just aren't very fast cores by...
I think an RX 570 or 580 would be a good fit for your machine - although they are similar TDP to a 280X so if you are looking for lower power, the newer RX5500 cards use much less power for similar performance.

On the nVidia side you could look at GTX 1060 or the newer GTX 1650 Super cards which are also similar performance level whilst being pretty energy efficient.

There wouldn't be much point going faster with the rest of your system - depending on the game that FX 8350 will even hold these cards back a bit. Just keep in mind you may not be able to hit consistent 60fps in all games with an FX, the low single thread performance means you tend to get frame drops due to cpu and that will be the case whatever graphics card you use. The newer gpu will allow you to hit higher average frame rates though and use higher quality settings so should still be a decent upgrade.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
What about 1650 Super ? I checked the prices and they are nearly all the same depending on the versions, rx 580 5500xt and 1650 super. I also would appreciate another advice from someone

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
I don't have enough time to check news about upcoming GPUs. Would it worth if I wait before buying RX 580 ? I hope there's going to be a new tech that it will be cheap and reliable for 1080p gaming. I changed my mind about electric consumption since I can't do gaming sessions like I used to do due to my work. Hot GPU without throttling would benefit me during winter because I am used to the heat of my r9 280x that I never have to turn on the heater in my room. It is also cheaper that way haha

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
People from other forums say that there is definitely going to happen a huge bottleneck if I buy a GPU better than RX 570. But I checked some benchmarks and youtube comments which people are happy about having either RX 580 or 1650S along with FX 8350.

There's no need to get too worried about a 'bottleneck' - in every system there is always a bottleneck (i.e. a component that limits maximum performance). Typically gamers want the graphics card to be the limiting factor, as that way you are getting the most out of the card. In your system, the FX 8350 is more likely to be the bottleneck but that doesn't mean it won't run games pretty well. It still has 8 cores (they just aren't very fast cores by modern standards). The main thing to keep in mind in this situation is that the CPU will limit what the max fps is that you will get in games (this will vary by game) - a more powerful gpu will allow you to use higher graphics settings (which don't really impact cpu performance) without loosing frame rate, however more gpu power won't increase the max fps you can get.

That means there is little point spending too much money on the gpu as with your cpu you won't get much benefit - it will still work fine though. Heck if you wanted you could stick an RTX 3080 in there and it will work just fine, however value for money wise it doesn't make sense as it won't really perform any better than a much cheaper card.

The other thing to consider is if you are thinking of upgrading the cpu / motherboard later? I often buy an overpowered GPU for my current system one year, on the basis I will be upgrading the rest of the kit the next year or so (spreads cost out that way).

To your other comment, given the choices if prices are similar, buy either an RX 5500 or Geforce 1650 Super card instead of a 580 - they all perform about the same but the 5500 and 1650 Super are both much newer cards so should be better supported in newer games (the RX 580 is a really old card now). The newer cards also both use way less power for the same performance so will be easier on your PSU.

Solution