[SOLVED] Best graphics card to upgrade to with this older motherboard ?

May 13, 2022
Hey guys new user looking to involve myself in these forums. Also looking for some help and great advice!

ive built a pc about 6 or 7 years ago and ive had no issues with it but im starting to think maybe i should upgrade the video card. I used to be very much invested into PC Gaming now ive turned casual but when i do play i like to have good visuals.

my motherboard is a ASUS X99 Deluxe II (https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/1648/X99-Deluxe II/). its older probably cant buy it anywhere but its been such a beast of a motherboard. Which cards do you recomend i get? Can i stick a 3070 in there?

currently im running an EVGA 980 TI Hybrid watercooled. 16 Gigz of Ram and im using as a processor Core i7-5820K (3.3GHz, L3:15M, 6C, HT, 140W, rev.R2)

Would really appreciate the advice and what is the best cost/effective upgrade for my video card. As a note my 980TI is still holding strong and i play most games just not at best settings of course.

Solution
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are cpu limited, there are no effective cpu upgrades for your motherboard that would improve gaming significantly. You can buy more cores, but the single...

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
6 years is a long time in the computer world. If you stick a 3070 there, it will surely work. But build a computer from scratch, use only HD from that case, or also buy new M2 drive(s).

Giving that much money for a GPU and putting it to a 6 years old computer is an idea that just does not stuck on me.

Reactions: Macheion
May 13, 2022
im currently at work, when i get home ill give you guys a full list of SPECS everything my unit is watercooled. i have an SSD 500gigs an a 4tb Slave drive. 16 gigs of ram pretty sure my powersupply its well over 750W

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Hey guys new user looking to involve myself in these forums. Also looking for some help and great advice!

ive built a pc about 6 or 7 years ago and ive had no issues with it but im starting to think maybe i should upgrade the video card. I used to be very much invested into PC Gaming now ive turned casual but when i do play i like to have good visuals.

my motherboard is a ASUS X99 Deluxe II (https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/1648/X99-Deluxe II/). its older probably cant buy it anywhere but its been such a beast of a motherboard. Which cards do you recomend i get? Can i stick a 3070 in there?

currently im running an EVGA 980 TI Hybrid watercooled. 16 Gigz of Ram and im using as a processor Core i7-5820K (3.3GHz, L3:15M, 6C, HT, 140W, rev.R2)

Would really appreciate the advice and what is the best cost/effective upgrade for my video card. As a note my 980TI is still holding strong and i play most games just not at best settings of course.

Your CPU is not ideal, but I don't think it will be a significant bottleneck. Take a look at this video of a guy with a 5820K who upgrades his video card to a 3070. It gave him a pretty good boost in performance and managed some pretty good frame rates in some more modern games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EujqoUd4k

May 13, 2022
your graphics card is just fine for your board in my opinion. honestly i'd probably just focus on a new build on a lga 1700 board with a decent cpu. i can sympathize with you on having an older board. i had an x79 board on a 3rd gen cpu (i think?) and took me a long time to just let it go :( . gpu upgrade is fine but you'll have better results with newer boards. if u do eventually start over though and with a 1700 specifically you'll just have to figure out if u want ddr5 slots or not. when i see the timings for ddr5 ram i'm put off by entertaining that route so i'd go with ddr4. i probably drifted way off topic but ya imo save your money for a new rig. best of luck <3

The 3070 will be a bump in perf.
You might not be able to drive it to it's max with the rest of the pc.
If you decide to upgrade the pc in the future you will already have the gpu.

May 13, 2022
Your CPU is not ideal, but I don't think it will be a significant bottleneck. Take a look at this video of a guy with a 5820K who upgrades his video card to a 3070. It gave him a pretty good boost in performance and managed some pretty good frame rates in some more modern games.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-EujqoUd4k

Basically im in this guys same situation. Will eventually upgrade to new hardware just cant push for everything in one go. Kids and Wife and new car will prevent me from going all in like i did when i built this guy a few years back.

your graphics card is just fine for your board in my opinion. honestly i'd probably just focus on a new build on a lga 1700 board with a decent cpu. i can sympathize with you on having an older board. i had an x79 board on a 3rd gen cpu (i think?) and took me a long time to just let it go :( . gpu upgrade is fine but you'll have better results with newer boards. if u do eventually start over though and with a 1700 specifically you'll just have to figure out if u want ddr5 slots or not. when i see the timings for ddr5 ram i'm put off by entertaining that route so i'd go with ddr4. i probably drifted way off topic but ya imo save your money for a new rig. best of luck <3

Believe it or not i have a lot of sentimental value invested in this pc it pretty much gave me insane amount of wasted hours in fun and enjoyment. I honestly cant complain about the hardware i bought... its stuck it out with me througout all these years.. i think i only had to replace 1 power supply because of a storm that fried my previous one.

I do want want to invest in a new PC, i just cant fully invest in the whole thing at one go. I live in another country and a blackfriday type event is about to pop off in the following week or two and i just wanted to see if i can Snag a good card for now and the future.

i appreciate all you guys taking the time to give me some advice and i will gadly consider it all.

Just as an update:

CPU: i7 5820k running at 3.8 MHZ (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5820k-processor-15m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html)
CPU COOLER: Cosair Hydro H80i ( https://www.corsair.com/lm/en/Categ...Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060024-WW)
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 PC4 19200 (2400 MHz), CL15, 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) (https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1535941837/F4-2400C15D-16GVR)
Mobo: ASUS X99 Deluxe II (https://motherboarddb.com/motherboards/1648/X99-Deluxe II/)
GFX: EVGA 980 TI Hybrid (https://www.evga.com/products/specs/gpu.aspx?pn=16add31d-8463-430a-a2a3-f9f1fd49e9a6)
PSU: Cosair RMi Series™ RM750i (https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...upply-Units/rmi-series-config/p/CP-9020082-NA)
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G
HD1: Toshiba X300 Performance Desktop PC 4TB (https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/toshiba-internal-hard-drives-x300/)

im playing basically in 1080P with games the like of : League of legends, Red Dead Redeption 2, God of War, Call of Duty Warzone, WOW, CSGO, Whicher 3.

logainofhades

Titan
The 980ti is still quite good for 1080p. It's around 1660s performance iirc. I think a new CPU, with it's massive IPC boost, is better idea. As a WoW player, I can confirm CPU matters a lot. A friend of mine that plays Warzone saw a pretty good boost, going from a 3700x to a 5900x, and he plays at 1440p.

Last edited:
May 13, 2022
The 980ti is still quite good for 1080p. It's around 1660s performance iirc. I think a new CPU, with it's massive IPC boost, is better idea. As a WoW player, I can confirm CPU matters a lot. A friend of mine that plays Warzone saw a pretty good boost, going from a 3700x to a 5900x, and he plays at 1440p.

Which would you recomend? is it worth investing into a CPU for this motherboard? how much time ideally do you think i have left with this PC? My thought process was to slowly build into a new system. given that this mobo only accepts S-2011-V3 whatever chip i endup buying wouldnt transfer over into a new board.

Also this board has a slot for a TMP2.0 for windows11 but i cant seem to find a card anywhere to save my life!

If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

If you are cpu limited, there are no effective cpu upgrades for your motherboard that would improve gaming significantly. You can buy more cores, but the single thread performance would not change much.
If you need a cpu upgrade, you are looking at a motherboard replacement also.

The 3070 upgrade would be a significant jump in graphics, and would use about the same power as your 980ti.

Last edited:
Solution

Nathaniel_9

Honorable
Dec 28, 2015
Which would you recomend? is it worth investing into a CPU for this motherboard? how much time ideally do you think i have left with this PC? My thought process was to slowly build into a new system. given that this mobo only accepts S-2011-V3 whatever chip i endup buying wouldnt transfer over into a new board.

Also this board has a slot for a TMP2.0 for windows11 but i cant seem to find a card anywhere to save my life!

I highly recommend you do not update your CPU until you're ready to get a new motherboard. There's no point in further investing in an aging socket by purchasing a CPU that is already generations behind. My recommendation would be to get the video card and wait until AMD releases their AM5 socket later this year. Then get a new motherboard, RAM, and a super nice 7000 series Ryzen CPU. AMD supported AM4 for a long time. I bet they'll do the same with AM5. The board and CPU you get would last years.

May 13, 2022

If you are cpu limited, there are no effective cpu upgrades for your motherboard that would improve gaming significantly. You can buy more cores, but the single thread performance would not change much.
If you need a cpu upgrade, you are looking at a motherboard replacement also.

The 3070 upgrade would be a significant jump in graphics, and would use about the same power as your 980ti.

Thank you so much! The amount of help from this post is huge. Ill run some tests and dabble with it and see how it holds up. I am able to play Warzone on my current right on Normal settings and get about 60-78 frames without a hitch.

hopefully i can snag a good price on a 3070 and then in a few months start looking for a Mobo and CPU. should be soon they roll out new chips and boards no?

May 13, 2022
I highly recommend you do not update your CPU until you're ready to get a new motherboard. There's no point in further investing in an aging socket by purchasing a CPU that is already generations behind. My recommendation would be to get the video card and wait until AMD releases their AM5 socket later this year. Then get a new motherboard, RAM, and a super nice 7000 series Ryzen CPU. AMD supported AM4 for a long time. I bet they'll do the same with AM5. The board and CPU you get would last years.

Thanks you so much, i think imma do this too! and ill use my old PC to gift to my daughters that about to start Middle school for homework. Ill keep my eye out for the lauch dates for the new AMD Chips

TRENDING THREADS