Question BIOS Update Crash - PC no longer turning on or starting windows (screen says No signal, cant

Dysterius

Prominent
Jun 16, 2022
Started having issues with the blue screen of death crashing my PC. This started about two weeks ago or so, so I assume it was the latest Windows 10 updates on 6/3 and 6/5 (those dates are when I installed them) - since then I’ve mostly fixed the blue screen issue, however recently my USB devices would randomly flicker on and off, or disconnect altogether. (Only USB 2.0 devices, if I plug into USB 3.0 it works fine)

Did some research, multiple people said that updating their BIOS fixed the USB disconnection issue. I go to update my BIOS manually (yes, I did everything properly) and as the update approaches 7% it crashes. Now I have a computer that doesn’t start at all. Screen says No Signal, USB devices with RGB lights won’t even turn on at all. Computer powers on but does nothing other than that. Cant even load BIOS or anything bc Windows won’t launch.

Did some more research, found out I need to reset my CMOS. I open up my PC, only to realize I DONT HAVE A CMOS BATTERY. Not sure if maybe my dad wired it up in a hidden place or what (I’d ask him but he’s dead) So I do a bit more research and figure out you can reset CMOS but touching a screwdriver to the two pins on JFP1 on the motherboard for 10 seconds. Tried this over and over to no avail. Running out of options, and about to give up. I don’t think recovery drive is an option considering I can’t even get boot menu to load up. Would love some advice.

Dysterius

Prominent
Jun 16, 2022
pc crash during bios update means that mainboard firmware (bios) is corrupt
you coul take it to some pc repair shop, as they can reprogram it
Is there any way to reprogram it myself? I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to just get the PC to boot into Windows. If I can get into the BIOS, or get access to something I can get this fixed without having to take it to someone.

you could, probably...it depends on your technical skill level
you will need programmer ch341a, then you desolder bios chip from mainboard, place it in that spi flash programmer and then you just flash bios with it, once done, solder bios chip back to mainboard
think you can find those on amazon for $10