Status
Not open for further replies.

kashelu

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hello, I know this is a question I could of been asking ten years ago, but bear with me. I thought I'd work on a computer that was ten years old to see how fast I could get it to run without spending a whole lot of money. And if something goes wrong then I'm not out a ton of money either. I am wondering if I can run a BIOS update for a Dell Dimension 4300 on a CD-ROM drive or does it have to be on a floppy disk?

Solution
It can be on CD-Rom, granted your system allows booting from CD-Rom. You would need an image to burn so that it includes the boot files. Flashing the bios is risky and should be done to eliminate known problems or updates to memory/cpu capacity. If your memory on system is low, just run Win2K instead of XP, the only thing XP has is HyperThreading and more drivers.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
It can be on CD-Rom, granted your system allows booting from CD-Rom. You would need an image to burn so that it includes the boot files. Flashing the bios is risky and should be done to eliminate known problems or updates to memory/cpu capacity. If your memory on system is low, just run Win2K instead of XP, the only thing XP has is HyperThreading and more drivers.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.