Feb 3, 2020
Hey guys hope you can help me with this one.

I have a Dell Optiplex 390 DT, it came with an Intel core i3 2120 3.30GHz. I put in an old 720 GT GPU and upgraded to 8GB RAM. This all works, however I am trying to upgrade the CPU. I put in a XEON e3-1220V2 3.10GHz, added thermal paste and put the heatsinkl back on. I turn it on and the fans run but the screen stays completely black. I have the latest BIOS and I'm pretty sure the CPU is compatible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Solution
@TheAtero
I would assume the CPU is not compatible ... why?
  1. It's a Dell. Dell has limited interest in you upgrading your machine. They want you to buy a new one. They are unlikely to add new microcode to BIOS when new CPUs come out.
  2. The i3 2120 is a Sandy Bridge CPU and the Xeon e3 is Ivy Bridge ... yes, Ivy and Sandy can use the same hardware, but you need a microcode update to BIOS.
  3. Xeon is a server chip (even if it is a rebranded i5 or i7). Dell has little interest in adding microcode for server chips to consumer level computers.
and finally ... this:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/optiplex-390-cpu-upgrade.3230041/
@TheAtero
  1. It's a Dell. Dell has limited interest in you upgrading your machine. They want you to buy a new one. They are unlikely to add new microcode to BIOS when new CPUs come out.
  2. The i3 2120 is a Sandy Bridge CPU and the Xeon e3 is Ivy Bridge ... yes, Ivy and Sandy can use the same hardware, but you need a microcode update to BIOS.
  3. Xeon is a server chip (even if it is a rebranded i5 or i7). Dell has little interest in adding microcode for server chips to consumer level computers.
and finally ... this:

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 3, 2020
@TheAtero
and finally ... this:
Thank you so much for the quick reply and the advice! So an i5-2400 should work?
Thanks again

@TheAtero
The i5-2400 should work according to Dell documentation.

The i5 is a 95 W CPU while the i3 is a 65 W CPU. It will run a tad hotter. The box version of these CPUs came with the same cooler. Images from the web show an after market cooler with optiplex 960. It looks a bit beefier, so I bet it's fine. You will want a fresh layer of thermal paste and remember that less is more (don't smear it all over, just enough to cover).

Feb 3, 2020
@TheAtero
The i5-2400 should work according to Dell documentation.

The i5 is a 95 W CPU while the i3 is a 65 W CPU. It will run a tad hotter. The box version of these CPUs came with the same cooler. Images from the web show an after market cooler with optiplex 960. It looks a bit beefier, so I bet it's fine. You will want a fresh layer of thermal paste and remember that less is more (don't smear it all over, just enough to cover).
Thanks I’ll use the same one then