Question Black Screen Crash with Fans Full Speed

BlazerBird

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I am running Asrock x470 master xli/ac mobo, GTX 1070 EVGA Graphics Card (about 5 years old now), EVGA 650 W Gold PSU, Ryzen 2700X, 4 sticks Trident series RAM for 32GB

I started running into a problem a few months ago where my system would just black screen crash, no monitor signals (I have two) no sound, etc. All 4 of my fans go full throttle and I have to manually restart the system, which boots normally and I back working. I monitor using HWInfo and am saving CSV logs to see if I can spot anything.
Temps never go to crashing point, always staying in the 50s/65 range for CPU under load, 40s to about 58 on GPU

+12V stats are normal, usually hovering around 12.192, never below 12, never above 12.3
I changed the thermal compound on my GPU which was dried up
Changed the thermal compound on my CPU while I was at it
RAM is operating normally
Putting the CPU and GPU under full load did not produce the crash
Used Unigene for the GPU test, ran fine, temps stayed about 55-57

Crashes ramp up severely while playing Borderlands 3, sometimes as often as 10 to 15 minutes apart, sometimes extended to 45 minutes.
Crashes using ZBrush, Unreal Engine/content creation packages
Sometimes restarts minutes after boot up (not the hard black screen, but an actual restart)

I THINK my GPU might be the culprit but any help would be great.
As far as HWInfo, my other voltages scale appropriately while under load, but the confusing thing is that it will crash to black, fans full speed while NOT under load, whether just light polygon modeling, or sitting in game after the fights are over. It's frustrating because it's so random and I couldn't get it to happen at will with putting my GPU or CPU under load while baking mesh maps or sculpting or anything.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you describe sounds like a sudden incomplete reset. Everything fails suddenly but begins a re-boot. But even that fails, so the boot process is not completed at all. It gets stuck in an early stage when the fans are all told to run full speed simply to ensure they DO start up. From your post, though, it seems that if you then force another reboot, it succeeds right away.

I can't tell you for sure why this happens. I can tell you I had a somewhat similar problem on my machine a few years back, but it started out as random freezes with black screen that could not be fixed just by punching the Reset button. I had to actually disconnect power for a short time and then re-connect and it would boot just fine. After several months of this getting worse (and me trying to clean it out and ensure no cooling problem) I found that the PSU had faulty components (bulged leaky capacitors) and replaced it. My problem was solved that way. Whether your PSU has an intermittent problem as mine did, I cannot say.

BlazerBird

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
What you describe sounds like a sudden incomplete reset. Everything fails suddenly but begins a re-boot. But even that fails, so the boot process is not completed at all. It gets stuck in an early stage when the fans are all told to run full speed simply to ensure they DO start up. From your post, though, it seems that if you then force another reboot, it succeeds right away.

I can't tell you for sure why this happens. I can tell you I had a somewhat similar problem on my machine a few years back, but it started out as random freezes with black screen that could not be fixed just by punching the Reset button. I had to actually disconnect power for a short time and then re-connect and it would boot just fine. After several months of this getting worse (and me trying to clean it out and ensure no cooling problem) I found that the PSU had faulty components (bulged leaky capacitors) and replaced it. My problem was solved that way. Whether your PSU has an intermittent problem as mine did, I cannot say.
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. I am going to grab a new PSU and see if that does it. Especially because it's really random, sometimes at no load and sometimes at full, but never predictable. I'll let you know if it does the job.

BlazerBird

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
Alright, so I am testing with AIDA 64. CPU Test is good. GPU Test is good. Memory test is good. BUT, FPU test causes instant reboot
Cache test causes immediate crash as well

Last edited:

BlazerBird

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I am not familiar with the AIDA64 test, so I ope someone else comes along who is. By the way, are you running a 64-bit version of your OS? I kinkd of assume the name indicates the test suite is designed for a 64-bit OS.
Yes I am on 64bit windows 10 pro. And yesterday I did a test while playing borderlands and removed some RAM. Still crashed once or twice but not 5 or 6 times. I'm honestly thinking my memory controller is degrading. I've never overclocked anything, but over the last several months the issue has progressively gotten worse.

BlazerBird

Reputable
Oct 30, 2015
I just went ahead and got a new build coming for this week. I've been wanting to upgrade anyway, just was hoping to wait this mess out. But I have work to do and the problem keeps getting worse, which tells me it's degrading. Thanks for your time though, much appreciated.