Blizzard: We'd Probably Agree to Do a StarCraft Movie if James Cameron Was Invol

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Isn't the AVP series pretty much StarCraft? You have the Aliens (which was created by James Cameron - which might have inspired the Zerg race), the Predators (which are uglier badass versions of the Protoss), and the Terrans (us humans).

jeverson

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
I think Joss Whedon would make a better fit for this film. I think his more realistic approach (see Fire Fly) would fit very nicely with the way the StarCraft stories are told. Especially when I remember the way the characters in the cut scenes interact with one another. Blizzard only picked Cameron for the marketing clout. Which is all Blizzard has become, a big useless marketing machine. I have almost no respect for game developers anymore. They have gotten as bad if not worse as the music and movie industries. Spend a lot of money producing crap, hyping the hell out of it, then charging out the * for it. Let the flame wars begin... ;)

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I think he could do it. The marginal plot and story of Starcraft fits nicely the marginal stories and plots of the movies of James Cameron. I think they're a perfect fit.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Let's see now: A Starcraft movie with a far left, America hating, anti-military theme.

Yeah, I think I'll pass. Life is too short to waste on any more of Cameron's crap.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm sure Cameron would relish the opportunity to share creative control with a game company, after all, it's not like he's the most successful living director who has carte blanche to do anything he wants.

Frankly, it'd be worth it just to watch some Blizzard executives melt while he rages about what total morons they are. This is seriously further evidence that game companies are lambs to the slaughter when it comes to Hollywood.

firedust

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I keep watching the "Ghosts of the Past" trailer and I still can't get enough. It would be such an awesome movie, and I really hope Blizzard brings Starcraft to the big screen one day.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
I thought James Cameron was already working with Blizzard?
I mean have you seen Avatar? You got mounts, flying mounts, Epic Flying Mounts!! and the ship design in Avatar is something I could see from Starcraft... or was it command and conquer, which one had the Mechs?
Anyway, if they aren't working together then Blizzard should totally sue, because Pandora seemed pretty much like an expanded version of Zangermarsh.

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'd really prefer Blizzard's own cinematic team doing a Starcraft movie. A two hour film of that quality would be amazing. It's not like they don't have the cash to finance it. They just need to start funneling some of that WoW money into it.

G

Noooo....... James Cameron will have a gay plot and make the relationship between Jim and Kerrigan as lame as possible. Please have someone that can write a more original plot.

gr33nf00t

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Isn't the AVP series pretty much StarCraft? You have the Aliens (which was created by James Cameron - which might have inspired the Zerg race), the Predators (which are uglier badass versions of the Protoss), and the Terrans (us humans).[/citation]
/NERD ON
Well, James Cameron didn't create the Alien franchise; he directed Aliens, the second in the franchise. The first was directed by Ridley Scott. Also, being as SC is a copy of the Warhammer 40K franchise (Terrans are the Space Marines, Protoss are the Eldar, and the Zerg are the Tyranids), I'd rather a movie be made about that since I think it has a better story than SC, while delivering pretty much the same sort of thrills. Still, I might settle for an SC movie, if it was done well (which it prolly wouldn't be). SciFi miniseries/series might be better.
/NERD OFF

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Xatos[/nom]Sorry, but if that moron of an uber-liberal Cameron even touches StarCraft I won't be there.[/citation]

Moron, Part Deux.

NotYetRated

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I have to admit.... I can think of noone else to do the Starcraft world justice than James Cameron. There would quite obviously be a significant amount of special effects, and he is simply the master.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]gr33nf00t[/nom]/NERD ON Also, being as SC is a copy of the Warhammer 40K franchise (Terrans are the Space Marines, Protoss are the Eldar, and the Zerg are the Tyranids)SciFi miniseries/series might be better./NERD OFF[/citation]

A much, much less awesome copy.

Baneblade, FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.