Blizzard: We'd Probably Agree to Do a StarCraft Movie if James Cameron Was Invol

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
So... an overpriced 3D cinematic romp to SC land?

I suggest letting a newer director that actually has played and cared for the game be in charge of that project!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
What about Neill Blomkamp (director of District 9)? Does anybody else remember that awesome demo he did for the (now defunct) Halo movie? I thought District 9 had a lot in common with StarCraft in terms sense of humor. Blomkamp will make it for cheap too.

Though, calling it Starship Troopers 4 isn't so much a stretch considering that Blizzard even acknowledged Robert A. Heinlein in the credits of StarCraft.

toiletus

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
This is just terrible it would end up being too much of a knock off of star ship troopers which was released in 1997 and StarCraft was released in 1998.

and as youssef 2010 said

Though, calling it Starship Troopers 4 isn't so much a stretch considering that Blizzard even acknowledged Robert A. Heinlein in the credits of StarCraft.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Proxy711[/nom]As long as blizzard was deeply involved in the production i really don't think they could go wrong with just about anyone directing.[/citation]
Uwe Boll?

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I've had traumatic experiences with most computer-game to TV/Cinema projects (especially the recent Street Fighter..that was painful)

But unlike most developers, Blizzard clearly has standards. So fingers crossed...but maybe not Cameron...he's way too busy.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
James Cameron and Michael Bay Co-Directing FTW!!!! Bruce Willis as mengsk, Sam Worthington as Raynor, Megan Fox as Kerrigan, and Ben Affleck, i dunno, somewhere.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
James Cameron, honestly would be the best choice I can think of. As visionary as his movies are, and his reputation to make amazing Science Fiction movies (Terminator 2, Aliens, and Avatar), I can't think of anyone better at this craft. Whether people dislike him or not, the guy attracts a huge crowd, and holds the top 2 biggest box office hits in history. His imagination is unmatched, such as the visionary beauty of Avatar and creative design of his sets were mesmerizing. I say as long as Blizzard is closely involved to make sure Starcraft is done right, I think with James Cameron it would have great potential.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]I would agree not to watch it if Cameron was involved.[/citation]

Not a big loss when 100.000.000 other people would watch it.

anotherzen

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Cameron would be a good choice, but people will complain about how much stuff that was stolen from the Starcraft games..

Peter Jackson.. no thanks, i don't want the marines to walk for 6 hours, evading the Protoss, to finally "confront" the Zerg for 2 minutes and then see them all hang out in the locker-room afterwards. Go back and make splatter movies plx, its what you where born to do.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]anotherzen[/nom]Cameron would be a good choice, but people will complain about how much stuff that was stolen from the Starcraft games.. Peter Jackson.. no thanks, i don't want the marines to walk for 6 hours, evading the Protoss, to finally "confront" the Zerg for 2 minutes and then see them all hang out in the locker-room afterwards. Go back and make splatter movies plx, its what you where born to do.[/citation]
Did you actually watch LOTR or are you thinking of someone else by accident?

G

Would be great if cameron works for starcraft and peter jackson for diablo))

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Why not just make a complete CG Starcraft movie? Blizzard already has the resources. Look at those cinematic cut-scenes in the games.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I will shamelessly steal these quotes from 2 websites, about which 10 Directors shouldn't touch it with a bargepole - the 10 Worst Sci Fi Directors
http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2010/08/bad-science-fiction-directors/
Tim Burton
If there's any working director whose creative chops would lend themselves to science fiction, it should be Burton, who has an decidedly otherworldly way of viewing reality. But his Mars Attacks! spoof of alien-invasion films was tedious when it should have been funny, and his Planet of the Apes remake was simply tedious, period. Burton gets credit for Edward Scissorhands, which does feature Johnny Depp imitating Robert Smith imitating Frankenstein, but ultimately his best science-fiction-related film is Ed Wood, about the man who made the worst science-fiction film ever. There's irony for you.

Chris Columbus
Columbus proved that he could find his way around fantasy with the first two Harry Potter films, and of course Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire made him an A-list comedy director. But when he made Robin Williams the world's most mawkish android in Bicentennial Man, he showed that science fiction really wasn't his thing.

Mike Nichols
An Oscar winner for The Graduate and the director of classics ranging from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? to The Birdcage. But in his roll call of classics, neither The Day of the Dolphin nor What Planet Are You From? is likely to be brought up with any seriousness, although, to be fair, they're both better than Regarding Henry.

Ivan Reitman
Another director you'd think would be a natural with science fiction, considering that he's got Ghost Busters under his belt. But neither Junior, with its pregnant Arnold Schwarzenegger, nor Evolution, with its slacking David Duchovny, got much in the way of traction with audiences or critics. But, hey, Ghostbusters III is supposed to be coming sometime.

Barry Levinson
Rain Man brought him an Academy Award, and he's shown his versatility as a director with films that range from Young Sherlock Holmes to Good Morning, Vietnam to Wag the Dog. But Sphere ranks as the most tedious Michael Crichton adaptation to date, which, given the fact that Congo is lurking out there somewhere, is saying something.

Brian De Palma
An undisputed master of horror and suspense, and his Untouchables ranks as one of the most stylish and engaging gangster films out there. But Mission to Mars? The only good thing you can say about it was that at least it was not as aggressively stupid as Red Planet, the other Mars movie that year.

Steven Soderbergh
An Oscar winner (for Traffic) and nominee (for Erin Brockovich) and a director known to alternate classy mainstream entertainments like the Ocean's Eleven with "difficult" indie films like The Good German and a two-part epic on the life of Che Guevara. His Solaris, a remake of a seminal, challenging Russian film, falls into the the latter camp, despite starring George Clooney and having James Cameron as a producer. It's not a bad film at all, but it doesn't really suggest that Soderbergh was doing much more than checking science fiction off his Genres of Films to Make list.

Cameron Crowe
Beloved chronicler of a generation with Fast Times at Ridgemont High (which he wrote), Say Anything..., and Singles who nabbed an Oscar for writing Almost Famous (which he also directed). But while his Tom Cruise-starring Vanilla Sky grossed $100 million, it was an empty exercise in style and in nearly every respect an inferior version of Abre los ojos, the Alejandro Amenábar film of which it was a remake. On the other hand, it did bring Penélope Cruz to our shores. Let's call it a wash.

Kenneth Branagh
The brilliant modern adapter of Shakespeare looked to be a perfect fit to update Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, especially with Robert De Niro as the monster. Instead, it was a melodramatic mess. A shame. Let's hope he does better with Thor.

John Boorman
Yes, yes: Excalibur. Deliverance. Hope and Glory. The Emerald Forest. I have one word for you: Zardoz. For God's sake: Zardoz. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.